KOTCT Members Forum
April 29, 2024, 04:07:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages:  [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Back Before the Ugly Presidents There Were Beauties on American Money  (Read 2195 times)
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Trade Count: (1)
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« on: October 07, 2007, 03:13:41 AM »

This one brought the whole series down, the fine ladies of Boston were upset about the "Au Natural" babe in the buff on this one.

So this one never happened, even though everybody including caveman boy were covered:

scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 03:20:19 AM »

But the Armed services were not quite so P/C yet:

AuldFartte
Trade Count: (0)

Email
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 09:26:50 PM »

Those notes in the first post are wonderful, but are they really that color? (Or rather, lack thereof?)
CoinCrusader42
Knight Excalibur
Trade Count: (13)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 12:51:01 PM »

Beautiful banknotes!!

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

KOTCT No. 2
ANA:  42203
Collector since 1956
Topher

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 09:05:54 PM »

Those notes in the first post are wonderful, but are they really that color? (Or rather, lack thereof?)

Some of us don't need colour in the notes, especially those of us who are colourblind.  Apparently the Canadian $5 and $10 notes are different colours, but I've been here 5 years and still can't tell the difference.
dustin43160

Email
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 04:15:44 PM »

those were the good ole day in american notes. nowdays there just yuckie!
humpybong
Master Collector
Trade Count: (20)
Knight Argent

bm.1947
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 05:32:23 PM »

Great looking notes, pity the US ran out of colouring tints.

Barry
Global Moderator
Knight of the Coin Table #47

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 06:32:58 PM »

Great looking notes, pity the US ran out of colouring tints.

When I compare what we currently have to what you in Oz have, there is no comparison.  I can see that I would like to do a short set of $5, $10 and $20 sometime in the future.  Lovely notes with no doubt as to what they are. 

scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 02:35:37 AM »

http://www.geocities.com/scottishmoney/banknotes/usa/usa2.html

Some, yes, some of the many many notes acquired on Friday November 2nd.  There are many more where they came from, but not enough time to prepare the images yet.

humpybong
Master Collector
Trade Count: (20)
Knight Argent

bm.1947
View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 05:15:40 AM »

You have done it again scottishmoney.

I like the early US notes, have a few myself.

Barry
Global Moderator
Knight of the Coin Table #47

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 06:03:19 AM »

On Friday I purchased a collection of notes from an estate that had been saved by a bank official from receipts over the counter for a period of 40-50 years.  The notes date from 1862-1920, all large sized notes, several are unique for the denomination, date or signature combination.  Tonight I have them imaged, and ready to site load, but then my webhost is constipated. Angry  It has been a lot of work to research them etc.

Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (10)
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 09:02:10 AM »

I keep waiting for your photo of the 1896 $5 Large note! One of my favorites but I have never had the thrill of owning one of them. Still a future dream I guess!

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 07:16:18 PM »

But Presidents have been on paper money since 1862, but at least this note also had an allegorical woman on it for good measure.  This note is part of an accumulation from the estate of a banker in Grand Rapids MI that I occasioned to view and partake of last Friday.

scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2007, 07:18:57 PM »

Nothing better than a very lovely lady to grace a note.

But this note of all, takes the prize for my personal favourite, the larger denomination, the small town with a rich history, the locomotive on the reverse, and oh no, another, bare breasted feminine allegory! This note features a unique hometown son, John Sherman, whilst not so well known as his brother, William Tecumseh Sherman now, during the 19th century. John Sherman, like his now more famous brother, was born in Lancaster, OH in 1823 and rose to prominence during the early part of the Civil War when he was elected to the Senate seat vacated by Salmon Chase when the latter assumed the Treasury Secretary position in the Lincoln Administration. Curiously he opposed Hugh McCullough's desire to retire the Legal Tender notes issued during the Civil War, but remained an advocate of hard money, ie metal backed currency. He was appointed Treasury Secretary by President of the US Rutherford Hayes in 1877. He finished his term with the Hayes administration and resumed his Senatorial seat from Ohio, which he served from until 1897, his most notable piece of legislation was the Sherman Anti-Trust Act of 1890. He served as Secretary of State briefly durin the McKinley administration before retiring in 1898. It was not often that a National Bank anywhere could have a hometown son be prominently displayed on their local currency. With the new aspirations and manifest destiny theme so emblematic of this time in American history, it should be no surprise that the reverse of this lovely note portrays a worker, with tools, a contemporary steam locomotive, and yes, the attractive, and very topless Miss Liberty. This note is Friedberg number 677, and may very well be a unique denomination on this bank.

scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2007, 07:20:41 PM »

Wow, to my amazement and humbling, yes, oh my, the United States has issued colourful and very attractive currency, the secret is out. They did it in 1869 with this $20 Legal Tender note known as The Rainbow Note for it's multiple printing passes that have shades of blue, carmine, green and black. This note portrays Alexander Hamilton, US Secretary of State during the Jefferson Administration.

Pages:  [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: