KOTCT Members Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:10:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages:  [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Daniel Carr's 1964-D fantasy Peace dollar overtrikes  (Read 2378 times)
edix
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (3)
Knight Argent

KotCT #43

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 22, 2010, 10:10:16 PM »

As many collectors of American coins know, in 1964, US president Lyndon Johnson had the mint strike 90% silver dollars with the old Peace dollar design, which hadn't been issued since 1935. Congressional authorization for releasing these 1964-dated coins was never approved, so they were ordered to be melted. Some people think that there may be a few of those coins hidden in collections, but they would be illegal to own.
Given that scenario, Daniel Carr has recently released his own version of the 1964-D Peace dollar design, overstruck on actual Peace dollars from 1922-1935. The issuance has led to some controversy, since Carr chose not to include a Hobby Protection Act "COPY" stamp on the pieces. In Carr's view, for a variety of reasons, these are not copies.
I bring this up for a couple of reasons myself, one to notify the castle of another great Carr design, but also to mention that this was a very hot topic over on the PCGS Collectors Universe forum, that has since been curtailed by the moderators, ostensibly since the topic was not actual US coins.
Carr has gone from success to success with his operation (including the KotCT strikes) and it all serves the numismatic community in an educational manner. But currently his ability to reach a wide audience of numismatists is somewhat limited, especially since the recent CU forum crackdown.
Does anyone have any ideas for Carr to be able to communicate online better? He mentioned to me the idea of perhaps having a special forum attached to the KotCT forums here, but to me that would necessitate allowing non-knights and knightesses to particpate in that, and whatever moderation that might entail.
Let's here what you think about some of what I've brought up.
Here's Carr's website: Designs Computed
templar
KNIGHT #125--YOUR SERVANT AND FRIEND--ALWAYS
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (30)
Knight Argent

NUMISMATIST--MASTER OF TRIVIA--HISTORIAN--A.A.N.G.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 11:27:10 PM »

I DO NOT THINK THAT WE SHOULD GET MIXED UP IN THIS VENTURE---GRANTED DAN MAKES GREAT COINS AND MEDALS AND IS CERTAINLY A NUMISMATIC ARTIST----I DON'T THINK THE CONTROVESY WOULD DO OUR FORUM ANY GOOD AND WOULD JUST PULL OUR GROUP  INTO ANY PROBLEMS THAT MAY ARISE----IF PEOPLE WANT TO COLLECT HIS WORKS ,THAT IS ONE THING --BUT I FEEL WE SHOULD STAY NEUTRAL ON THIS..........

JUST MY OPINION.....YOUR FRIEND AND SERVANT............THE TEMPLAR

* REST AND RELAX.jpg (3.67 KB, 124x160 - viewed 119 times.)

DRUID
HUMORIST
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN
BARD
TIME WAS INVENTED SO EVERYTHING WOULD NOT HAPPEN AT ONCE!
Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (10)
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 03:16:33 AM »

For what its worth non members can get into a limited part of our forum now but I will have to check to see if they are allowed to post? Hate getting old as I can't remember squat! None the less we could always add another thread if it suited Daniels needs. I/We are NOT hard to get along with as public members don't get to see all the forum anyway. Just a thought! Wink

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Trade Count: (1)
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 06:00:09 AM »

I bought one, got it, and love it.  I don't give a rats' arse what others think of it.  To me it is a work of art.

edix
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

KotCT #43

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 08:11:54 AM »

Templar,
It wouldn't be about supporting Carr's stand on this particular piece, but in creating a forum for open discussion of the many things he creates, and maybe other non-traditional aspects of numismatics and exonumia. The point wouldn't be to agree, but to open up a dialogue into interesting areas that don't have much of an outlet already in the online makeup of numismatics.
For instance, on the CU forum, I started a discussion on the 1964-D fantasy Peace dollars and it got nearly 1,000 replies in a very short time, but then was locked by the moderators and further discussion there is being prevented. Clearly lots of folks want to talk about issues like this, the question is, where can they go to do it unimpeded?
I'm just looking for ideas here.
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 08:34:34 AM »

Things don't get as heated around here as they do over on CU.  Frankly I cannot imagine all the pantie bunching that goes on there. 

Paint Your Wagon
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 03:35:29 PM »

In open forums guidelines have to be very clear.

I stopped posting in many a forum because posts were deleted for no legit reason
like saying were you can find a free flash blocker.
On the other hand in one forum a boy said my avatar made him puke and that was
allowed by the mods .
If you open up this forum be prepared for deleting people and not only posts in massive
quantities

Where I am going I ain't certain
Where I am going I don't know
All I know is that I'am on my way
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 05:47:30 PM »

PYW - you have summarised why I don't post on several forums.  I got an infraction on one particular forum for referring to some other poster as a doofus!  

Just go in and see all the locked threads on the CU forum to see what heated discussion has transpired from the '64 Peace dollar.  Frankly I like the coin, I bought it, enjoy it.  I do not believe it is a threat to collecting, no one is going to be convinced it is a half million dollar coin, but a faithfully executed fantasy coin.

I am holding out that Daniel will follow up with a 1965.

For KOTCT - I appreciate that we have the moat and are free from the ilks of Aidan Work.

templar
Global Moderator
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 07:45:25 PM »

I HAVE TO CLARIFY MY STANCE----I AM ALL FOR OPEN DIALOGUE---I DEFEND IT--I LIKED THE COIN---I BOUGHT THE COIN AND A FRIEND OF MINE SAID I WAS CRAZY FOR SPENDING THAT KIND OF MONEY WITH LITTLE CHANCE TO GET MY MONEY BACK-----I REMINDED HIM I COLLECT TO PLEASE MYSELF-----HOBO NICKELS---HOBO POSTCARDS--WOODEN NICKELS---PAPER NOTES---IT GOES ON AND ON.......YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT A 1965 COIN-----MAYBE A 1947 FOR  A BOOMER LIKE ME---BRING ON THE DISCUSSIONS........

BY THE WAY........MAYBE WE SHOULD PUT WATER IN THE MOAT....JUST AND IDEA

YOUR FRIEND AND SERVANT..............THE TEMPLAR

* HOME SWEET HOME.jpg (3.68 KB, 160x110 - viewed 145 times.)

DRUID
HUMORIST
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN
BARD
Paint Your Wagon
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 11:07:34 PM »

Water in the moat ?  Huh Grin
Water is a precious commodity : better have vats of oil sitting on the rampart ready to heat; pour and fire . I believe Florida is giving away oil  Cool

Where I am going I ain't certain
Where I am going I don't know
All I know is that I'am on my way
Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (10)
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 03:52:27 AM »

We have high winds, high temperatures and extremely dry. Burn bans are in place as the area fire departments fight a huge 2 mile wide corn/soybean fire this very instant. A town has been evacuated as the wind fans the flames racing across the northern part of our county. It is really dry here now!

Any way we can help Daniel will be debated by the administrators and moderatores before turning to the membership. For the most part we can and will keep our moat and castle safe from invaders! It is our sworn duty!

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)
templar
Global Moderator
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 04:42:44 AM »

SPEAKING OF DAN'S COIN----------THE POSTMAN RANG TWICE......AND LOW AND BEHOLD MY COIN ARRIVED EARLY........HOPE YOU ENJOY IT

THE FIRST IS THE FRONT

* 1964-PEACE DOLLAR.jpg (59.86 KB, 346x329 - viewed 138 times.)

DRUID
HUMORIST
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN
BARD
templar
Global Moderator
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 04:44:55 AM »

THIS IS THE REVERSE WITH SOME INFOR ON IT.

WHATEVER THE ARGUMENT---DAN DOES NICE WORK

* DAN'S PEACE DOLLAR.jpg (129.47 KB, 391x850 - viewed 139 times.)

DRUID
HUMORIST
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN
BARD
edix
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

KotCT #43

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 04:50:20 AM »

Templar,
Your issue was after the initial 200 strikes which were satin finsh struck four times at 200 tons. The issue you have is struck once at 350 tons. It's got more pronounced natural luster.
Yass
Trade Count: (0)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 05:51:03 AM »

I'm all for supporting Daniel. However, I don't think advertising this forum as a sounding board for (possibly) controversial issues would do us much good.  I think it would kill the look and feel of our forum.

I've learned that I don't suffer from insa
Pages:  [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: