KOTCT Members Forum
April 30, 2024, 04:22:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: COMMEMORATIVE PAPER MONEY  (Read 1483 times)
templar
KNIGHT #125--YOUR SERVANT AND FRIEND--ALWAYS
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (30)
Knight Argent

NUMISMATIST--MASTER OF TRIVIA--HISTORIAN--A.A.N.G.

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 23, 2010, 02:07:42 AM »

[/iEVERY YEAR THE MINTS ACROSS THE WORLD PUT FORTH BEAUTIFUL COLLECTOR COINS............SOME ARE FOR CURRENCY BUT MANY ARE EXPECTED TO BE COLLECTED AND NOT SPENT.......USING THE U.S. AS AN EXAMPLE....WE HAVE HAD THE PRESIDENTIAL DOLLARS...THE STATE QUARTERS...STATE NATIONAL PARKS QUARTERS.....JEFFERSON NICKELS....LINCOLN PENNIES....PLUS AT LEAST 2 COLLECTIVES PER YEAR.......BUT WHEN IT COMES TO PAPER MONEY---ZILCH..NADA....NO WAY JOSE......WE HAVE ALTERED THE BILLS TO OFFSET COUNTERFIETING....BUT WHY NOT PUT OUR A SPECIAL PAPER DOLLAR WITH ANIMALS OF NORTH AMERICA ON THEM....I CAN'T SPEAK FOR WORLD PAPER NOTES BUT WE ARE ALL CONSUMED BY METALS.........LOOK AT THE GREAT ARTWORK THAT COULD GO ON  PAPER....THE CHOICES ARE ENDLESS AND IT WOULD BE A WHOLE NEW AREA OF COLLECTING..........ANY COMMENTS?Huh
DO OTHER COUNTRIES ALTER THEIR PAPER LIKE THE TYPES USED BEFORE 1950

YOUR SERVANT AND FRIEND................THE TEMPLAR

* U.S. PRE 1900.jpg (500.71 KB, 1491x651 - viewed 157 times.)

DRUID
HUMORIST
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN
BARD
TIME WAS INVENTED SO EVERYTHING WOULD NOT HAPPEN AT ONCE!
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Trade Count: (1)
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 02:56:47 AM »

The earliest commemorative paper money I have owned is a Leith Banking Company one pound note from 1822 that was issued to commemorate the visit of George IV to Scotland that year.  The note has a vignette of the royal entourage arriving at port then.

Commemorative banknotes are really more of a modern thing though, think Scotland, Thailand, Mexico that issue a lot of them.  They were issued in earlier times but not very often or in large quantities - here is an example of one from Uruguay that commemorated the 100th anniversary of Uruguayan independence in 1930:

This note is now very rare, usually they had their notes printed by Giesecke and Devrient, but this is printed by Banque de France.

Here is a modern note from Tunisia that commemorates an archeology conference in Tunis in 2006:

This note from Thailand commemorates the Queen's 72nd or 6th cycle birthday:

I collect all Thai commemoratives, they are some of the best series in the world.

This Swedish 100 kroner was issued in 2005, and sold at a premium - making it scarce:

Commemorates the anniversary of the founding of Tumba Bruk, the Swedish printer.  This note has Svea, a figure representing Sweden since early times.

Mexico has gotten in the act with this 2010 dated 200$00 note commemorating the bicentennial of the independence from Spain:

And then the 100th anniversary of the Mexican Revolution:

scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 02:58:53 AM »

And sometime later I will image the Estonian 10 Krona note that just came in from Estonia, it commemorates 90th year of independence and uses old design of banknotes.

EgCollector
Trade Count: (14)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 03:12:22 AM »

Shocked

Amr Smiley Smiley Smiley

Knight #107
Yass
Trade Count: (0)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 05:41:38 AM »

Nice notes  Grin

I've learned that I don't suffer from insa
Nighthawk
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (12)
Knight Argent

DELTA FORCE

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 07:17:29 AM »

Very nice!   Grin

NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
LOVER OF ART & HISTORY
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971
templar
Global Moderator
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 07:25:13 AM »

IT SEEMS THAT I FORGOT SOME PAPER NOTES BUT THAT STILL LEAVES THE GOOD OLD U.S.A...............STUCK IN THE MUD Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

DRUID
HUMORIST
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN
BARD
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 07:37:54 AM »

Estonia

This note is a commemorative note issued by Estonia to mark the 90th anniversary of Estonia first declaring independence from Russia in 1918. There is much more symbolism in this note than the texts will attest to though. The 10 krooni note was the last banknote issued by the independent state of Estonia before the USSR overran the country again in 1940. Curiously a few years ago in the old treasury building the plates for the 1940 issue were uncovered by a worker doing some restoration on the building, they were found under some cabinets where they remained stashed for over 50 years. Because they could use these original plates as a basis for doing a commemorative note - Eesti Pank decided to incorporate the elements of the old 10 krooni note on this commemorative issue. While the front of the note is the old design from the first Estonian Republic, the reverse represents the current design of the 10 krooni note now in circulation - however the earlier note was a larger note and so this one is in the earlier dimensions.

templar
Global Moderator
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 05:06:55 PM »

WOULD YOU KNOW WHERE TO GET THE ESTONIAN NOTE AND WHAT IT MIGHT COST-------I AM VERY INTERESTED IN THAT PIECE AND WOULD LIKE TO OBTAIN ONE OR TRADE FOR IT.........

YOUR FRIEND AND SERVANT..THE TEMPLAR

* TEMPLAR'S ANNEX.jpg (9.99 KB, 128x160 - viewed 134 times.)

DRUID
HUMORIST
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN
BARD
triggersmob
Knight Argent

Western Australian State Flag

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 08:08:21 PM »

Joe,
You could try contacting Marek, our resident Knight in Estonia.
A great man to trade with.

Steve
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 11:23:24 PM »

I bought mine from seller in Lithuania, it comes in folder with 1 krooni coin dated 2008 also.  It has the descriptions of coin and banknote in Estonian and in English, it is very attractive set. 

Tobyle
Trade Count: (9)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 04:18:15 AM »

Thanks for showing us those notes, Scottishmoney - very nice! One of the things I love about collecting world notes and coins - there is always something else to look out for. Another is the fantastic art work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: