KOTCT Members Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:57:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages:  [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Merlin Has Spoken!  (Read 4580 times)
Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (10)
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« on: July 21, 2010, 06:55:16 AM »

So it is requested so it shall be........Merlin's exact words. Welcome to the newest board!

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)
Polymath_Numismatics
Trade Count: (0)
Apprentice Knight

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 03:56:36 PM »

So it is requested so it shall be........Merlin's exact words. Welcome to the newest board!

"So it is written, so shall it be!"
- Yul Brynner playing Ramses II in The Ten Commandments (1956)

Good - now there is an Ancient & Medieval place here!

Polymath_Numismatics
Apprentice Knight

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 04:48:31 PM »

In honor of the cheesy Egyptian reference, here are some Egyptian coins:

Ptolemy II Silver Tetradrachm:

Ptolemy II Small Bronze:

2005 Cleopatra VII 50 Piastres:

2007 Tutankhamun 1 Pound:

OK, Ok, the last 2 really aren't ancient - they are modern coins with ancient themes (a category all by itself) but I think they are pretty cool  Cool

If these cause sufficient drooling, I'll post my 2 real Cleopatra VII silver tetradrachms and my 'whopper' AE40 bronze. Grin

EgCollector
Trade Count: (14)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 04:49:04 PM »

Thats great, Thanks Merlin.

I dont know much about this topic, so i'll be waiting for your posts.

* Egypt_Through_Other_Eyes_Sig_335.jpg (249.75 KB, 335x449 - viewed 125 times.)

Amr Smiley Smiley Smiley

Knight #107
triggersmob
Trade Count: (30)
Knight Argent

Western Australian State Flag

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 05:02:53 PM »

So just how old does a coin have to be, to be classified as ancient?

Steve
EgCollector
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 05:28:12 PM »

In honor of the cheesy Egyptian reference, here are some Egyptian coins:

Ptolemy II Silver Tetradrachm:

...............................................If these cause sufficient drooling, I'll post my 2 real Cleopatra VII silver tetradrachms and my 'whopper' AE40 bronze. Grin

I am all eyes  Shocked   Wink  Cheesy

* marble bust of cleopatra.gif (26.3 KB, 200x301 - viewed 136 times.)

Amr Smiley Smiley Smiley

Knight #107
Polymath_Numismatics
Apprentice Knight

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 05:45:22 PM »

Generally speaking, modern world coins begin in the year 1600 (an arbitrary Krause Publication thing I think but I don't know for sure).

Coins made between 1492 to 1599 are generally considered Renaissance / Reformation era which was really the beginning of the modern era.

So I'd say anything made prior to 1492 is ancient broadly speaking.

Byzantine & Medieval coins are generally treated as a later era subset of ancient coins.

The oldest ancient coins are ones generally struck out of oblong lumps of naturally occurring electrum from parts of Greece that date back to the 7th century B.C.

The most widely collected are probably Late Roman Bronzes in uncleaned condition. You buy them in large lots on eBay and clean them yourself. It's a very cheap way to start collecting ancients. You can buy them for less than $1 each but you get what you pay for.

Collecting Roman silver & billon (debased silver) denarii and antoninianii of common emperors like Hadrian, Septimius Severus, Gordianus III & Philip the Arab is an inexpensive place to start for collecting ancient silver.

A common misconception is that any coin pre-dating 1900 is ancient. I often get unsolicited emails from people with coins they inherited from a grandparent like Morgan silver dollars from the 1800s who want to know what their "ancient coin is worth" and I tell them I don't deal much in 'modern' U.S. coins and you can just see their head spinning in disbelief.

Hope that answers your question.  Smiley

Polymath_Numismatics
Apprentice Knight

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 06:01:38 PM »

...............................................If these cause sufficient drooling, I'll post my 2 real Cleopatra VII silver tetradrachms and my 'whopper' AE40 bronze. Grin

I am all eyes  Shocked   Wink  Cheesy
[/quote]

I need to make some scans. BTW, I saw that bust of Cleopatra some years back at the Chicago Field Museum when they had the Cleopatra exhibit there. My father and I took my eldest daughter there 8 yrs ago on her 7th birthday just as he had taken me there in the 1970s (don't recall the exact year) to see the King Tut exhibit when I was a kid. It was a great exhibit, we bought a few replica coins and a book about Cleopatra for her on the way out which she read over and over until she broke the binding.

Earlier this year, my Pastor friend and I saw the Dead Sea Scrolls in Milwaukee and they had quite a few coins as part of the exhibit. I started to give my pastor friend a detailed explanation of the coins and a small crowd gathered and finally a woman asked if I was a tour guide. I said no and my minister friend slapped me on the back and said "I bet you get that a lot in these places!" and laughed and we moved on after I answered a few questions.

Look for the scans later today.

Paint Your Wagon
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (1)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 06:19:22 PM »

I prefer my Cleopatra to the 50 piasters  Cheesy
It was a gift from an American friend since they were struck by the Franklin Mint and staid in Merica

Where I am going I ain't certain
Where I am going I don't know
All I know is that I'am on my way
EgCollector
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 06:53:33 PM »

I am more into silver than gold

I like this one  Wink

Amr Smiley Smiley Smiley

Knight #107
Sap
Knight Argent

The Numismatichemist

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 07:33:29 PM »

The division of history into "ancient", "mediaeval" and "modern" was largely an invention of Renaissance historians. They declared themselves to be "modern" and considered everything before their time to be "mediaeval". The "ancient" age was held to have ended with the fall of the Western Roman Empire in 476 AD. It has very little practical meaning in non-European contexts, but is still often applied there by Western collectors. China, for instance, never really had a "dark age" in the same sense that Europe did.

Personally, I use the following definitions for my coin collection.

"Ancient" is anything from the invention of coinage up to 500 AD. It's a convenient break for us numismatists because in 498 AD the "Eastern Roman" emperor Anastasius I reformed the coinage, effectively beginning the "Byzantine series". Thus, everything "Roman" is ancient, everything "Byzantine" is mediaeval.

The end of the mediaeval period is somewhat arbitrarily set at 1450 AD. Some historians and collectors try to tie the beginning of the "modern" period to a specific historical event or marker, such as 1453 (the fall of Constantinople and the end of Byzantine Empire), 1492 (Columbus discovering new world), 1517 (the start of the Protestant Reformation), 1518 (introduction of the thaler coin) or 1601 (beginning of Krause catalogues).

KoCT #21

The early bird gets the worm, sure, but
Sap
Knight Argent

The Numismatichemist

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 07:36:03 PM »

A common misconception is that any coin pre-dating 1900 is ancient. I often get unsolicited emails from people with coins they inherited from a grandparent like Morgan silver dollars from the 1800s who want to know what their "ancient coin is worth" and I tell them I don't deal much in 'modern' U.S. coins and you can just see their head spinning in disbelief.

I've met collectors who think everything struck after 1600 is "modern junk". Wink Grin

KoCT #21

The early bird gets the worm, sure, but
templar
KNIGHT #125--YOUR SERVANT AND FRIEND--ALWAYS
Global Moderator
Knight Argent

NUMISMATIST--MASTER OF TRIVIA--HISTORIAN--A.A.N.G.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 07:45:21 PM »

BOY DO I HAVE A LOT OF "JUNK"-----I HAVE VERY FEW PRE 1600 COINS----MY  SHORTS DATE BACK PRETTY FAR BUT NOT QUITE THAT FAR.........
 THIS IS AN IMPRESSIVE SITE----THE AMOUNT OF INFORMATION IS TOP NOTCH---THANKS I REALLY LEARNED MUCH ABOUT THE DATING AND DIVISIONS OF AGES ON COINS---PLEASE KEEP ADDING INFO TO THIS POST..........I GUESS THAT "47 WHEAT PENNY"  ISN'T AN OLD COIN Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

YOUR SERVANT AND FRIEND.........TEMPLAR---I WILL PASS THIS INFO ON TO MY STAFF...

* templar's staff.gif (405.33 KB, 781x480 - viewed 126 times.)

DRUID
HUMORIST
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN
BARD
TIME WAS INVENTED SO EVERYTHING WOULD NOT HAPPEN AT ONCE!
triggersmob
Knight Argent

Western Australian State Flag

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 08:18:18 PM »

Thanks for the explanation guys.
Looks like I don't have any ancients.

Steve
AdamL
Trade Count: (12)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 08:44:11 PM »

I'll have to post a few of my ancients when I get some time. I don't have anything special. But I kinda like the ancients.

-Adam
Knight Of The Coin Table #103
Speak the truth
Pages:  [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: