KOTCT Members Forum
April 28, 2024, 09:24:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages:  [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestion for the 2010 Medal  (Read 5341 times)
triggersmob
Trade Count: (30)
Knight Argent

Western Australian State Flag

View Profile Email
« on: March 21, 2010, 02:31:43 PM »

I am very happy to see that the History section has been renamed in Gary's honour, I would also like to put forward an idea for the 2010 KOTCT medal. I would love to see a Turtle from the Burke's turtle service, with a Kelpie riding shotgun. What say ye fellow Knights?

Steve
ElleKitty
Mewmismatist
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (24)
Knight Argent

There's an awful lot of coins out there still.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 03:08:15 PM »

I like that idea myself.  A memorial medallion.

humpybong
Master Collector
Trade Count: (20)
Knight Argent

bm.1947
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 05:00:07 PM »

Has my confirmed vote!

Great idea

Barry
Global Moderator
Knight of the Coin Table #47

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"
Nighthawk
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (12)
Knight Argent

DELTA FORCE

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 07:01:45 PM »

I'll vote for that!!!   Smiley

NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
LOVER OF ART & HISTORY
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971
Nevol
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (19)
Knight Argent

Queensland State Flag

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 07:11:42 PM »

Yea Verily, Yea.   Smiley

A very fitting way to remember Gary especially in view of his commitment to the Medallion project each year.

KOTCT #46
Nancy

Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved.
Topher
Trade Count: (0)

Email
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 07:50:45 PM »

I think it would be very fitting.  It's a great idea.
Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (10)
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 10:30:03 PM »

You have read my mind! But after giving this a little thought I would suggest the following;

Let's do a tribute Pewter only so we will have the room to say and show what we feel. As most of us know Gary LOVED the big 63mm pewters. It appears we will have funds left over from the 2009 Medallion Quest so the impact may not be too severe. In the mean time we could run a few auctions to be held in a special account towards this project and only this project. I would suggest that they also be offered to whomever desires them, NOT just KOTCT members as Gary frequented other forums or at least he used to.
At this particular point in time I see the title on the front as "Tears Around The World" (top obverse) with "In Memory of Sir Gary Burke" on the bottom. (Design would be?)
I also see "Burkes Imaginary Turtle Service, Delta Colorado" on the reverse with the turtle crawling out of the water upon a beach. There should be a small package on its back. I think there should be a slogan such as "Shipping Friendship Around the World"
It would be nice if we can get Knight of the Coin Table somewhere on the pewter. We would also need to list Gary's birth date and passing date.
I hope none of you are offended with my idea as that is what I see this morning and it gives us something to build on. I also must think about Gary's family, especially those grandkids, as we do this and do want them to be able to hold something they will be very proud of in the future.
I will make sure Daniel Carr gets to read our posts in this thread and look forward to hearing your ideas as well. We have lost a Founding Father of this group, our scribe and our historian along with a very dear friend. To know this man was an honor!

The design idea we are currently working on towards the 2010 Medallion Quest would not be appropriate for our tribute to Gary. With that in mind I suggest the above.

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)
Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 12:09:56 AM »

I have been in touch with Daniel Carr, both yesterday and today, and wish to pass a little information on to all of you. I now have the balance on our 2009 Medallion Quest and those numbers should give each of you some idea how costly our dream of a tribute to CoinCrusader will be. While I recommended a Pewter medallion it would not be the most economical way to proceed if we wish to do a tribute at this time.
   The total costs for our 2009 Medallion Quest at this time is $3,075.00 of which $1,100 has already been forwarded to the Moonlight Mint for the purchase of silver blanks. This leaves us with a balance of $1,975 which we have on hand so are 2009 Medallion Quest is in the clear and successful again. We are going to have monies left over as we went into this project with over $600 from our last quest and I am guessing (Just guessing without looking) we will have a $1,000 still available after all payments for medallions are received
   Now one major point I must make is we did not incurr the costs for a new reverse design which would have been an additional $1,250. That cost will be included in our 2010 design, if we proceed, as the design is going to change.
   If we proceed with a memorial tribute can we raise the amount of money needed for both obverse and reverse designs and then sell enough medallions to cover the costs? The most economical way to proceed would be with the cheaper copper medallion in 39mm as the blanks for Pewter 63mm are nearly $7.00 each.
   The point I am tryin to make is very few of us see the whole picture like I do as I pay the bills. We all see the costs of the medallions as $20 or $40 each which is required to raise the funds for our total. The three types of copper medallions offered, for example, costs us $2.50, $2.75 and $6.50 respectively which is far from $20. It is the costs such as design fees, engraving fees and sculpting fees we don't see. There are other minor fees thrown in throughout the process and they do all add up.
   I want each of you to know I am more than in favor of a tribute to Gary Burke as a founding father of this forum but I need for you to see what we are up against. I still like the idea of the huge 63mm pewter as it offers much more room and high relief. But can we do both the Tribute Medallion and the 2010 Medallion Quest? Is there potential to sell medallions elswhere to raise the additional funds? Other fourms? General public? Ebay? I await your ideas and thoughts in the next few days. Thank you in advance as we move forward.

Terry
Knight #1

AdamL
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 12:57:52 AM »

So many numbers. I'm a little bit confused.  Undecided

-Adam
Knight Of The Coin Table #103
Speak the truth
Pocketcoins
Trade Count: (5)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 01:01:30 AM »

I'm all for a tribute to CoinCrusader and will go along with what ever the rest of the bunch wants to do. The cost of the coin will not make much difference to me. However I don't know just how many of the tribute coins could be sold to folks not on this forum. It might be wise to wait a few days for all of us to excerpt Gary's passing before we decide what we want to do in tribute for him. I hope I haven't hurt anyone's feelings by saying this. It's just sometimes it takes a few days for us to get our head back on straight after such a shock as losing such a good friend.
D. Carr
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (0)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 01:20:35 AM »

I would suggest doing a 63mm pewter medal, showing a memorial turtle design on one side, with the standard 2009 KOTCT shield on the other.   That way, there is only the cost for one die.   And 63mm gives plenty of space for all the desired imagery and wording.   Although the 63mm pewter blanks cost a lot more than the 39mm copper blanks, the total cost of doing the medal in 39mm with two new dies would be more than the 63mm medals with one new die.   There is the possibility of doing a 39mm medal with the turtle design on one side and the standard shield on the other.   This would be the lowest cost option.   But there might not be enough space in 39mm to put everything on one side.
Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 02:47:31 AM »

Thank you for your imput Daniel. I know of Gary's huge love for those large 63mm pewter medallions so I think that would be most appropriate. Also using our KOTCT reverse would save us quite a chunk of funds, especially with the 2010 Medallions looming in the near future. Give us a few days and we will get with you concerning this tribute.
   There are a great number of members here who really don't know how this forum came about and who the founding fathers actually were. Gary Burke played such a huge role in our formation and success, along with his family, that I really wish to honor this man and his life if we can. I suggest we take Daniel's advise and move ahead from there. Feel free to voice your opinion or suggestions but please understand we cannot take forever coming to a decision and, after we receive necessary information that should be on the tribute medallion, Daniel will create the design. I await your comments along with the other moderators.

Terry
Knight #1

templar
KNIGHT #125--YOUR SERVANT AND FRIEND--ALWAYS
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (30)
Knight Argent

NUMISMATIST--MASTER OF TRIVIA--HISTORIAN--A.A.N.G.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 03:21:23 AM »

I VOTE WE GET THE LARGE PEWTER MEDALLION RATHER THAN TRY TO CRAM EVERYTHING ONTO A SMALL SPACE----I WOULD BE WILLING TO DONATE TO THE "BUILDING FUND" FOR SUCH A TRIBUTE AND I AM SURE THERE ARE OTHERS WHO WOULD DO THE SAME---SOME ARE NOT IN A POSITION RIGHT NOW TO DONATE AND BUY A MEDALLION,BUT I FEEL I KNOW THE CASTLE WELL ENOUGH BY NOW,THAT WE WILL RISE TO THE OCCASION............FAMILY HELPS ONE ANOTHER.....

YOUR SERVANT AND FRIEND--------THE TEMPLAR

* home.jpg (3.36 KB, 160x112 - viewed 150 times.)

DRUID
HUMORIST
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN
BARD
TIME WAS INVENTED SO EVERYTHING WOULD NOT HAPPEN AT ONCE!
AdamL
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 03:32:01 AM »

I like the idea of a 63 mm medal in honor of Gary.

-Adam
Knight Of The Coin Table #103
Speak the truth
humpybong
Master Collector
Trade Count: (20)
Knight Argent

bm.1947
View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 03:48:32 AM »

Less talk ... more action....

Lets do it!