KOTCT Members Forum
April 28, 2024, 05:15:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Christmas coins from Latvia  (Read 1103 times)
Marek
Trade Count: (8)
Knight

man1999@hot.ee
View Profile Email
« on: January 01, 2010, 11:03:50 PM »

Hi there and Happy New Year!
I got for latvia 2 new coins, which i want to share with you:

Christmas tree
Face value: 1 lats
Weight: 22.00 g, diameter: 35.00 mm
Metal: silver of .925 fineness, quality: proof
Struck in 2009 by Koninklijke Nederlandse Munt (the Netherlands)
Obverse
A man carrying a small fir-tree, a squirrel and a shining moon are in the centre of the coin. The common logo of the "European Heritage", the commemorative coin programme of the European Union, together with the inscription ZIEMASSVĒTKU EGLĪTEI 500 (500th Anniversary of Christmas Tree) are arranged in a semicircle on the left above. The numeral 1 and the inscription LATS are placed at the bottom part of the coin.

Reverse
Mummers in traditional masks are depicted in the centre of the coin; the year 2009, arranged in a semicircle, is inscribed at the bottom on the right-hand side.

But where does the Christmas tree tradition come from? After all, the palm frond is associated with Christ's native land. It is St. Francis of Assisi who apparently made a Nativity scene in a forest in 1222 and put lighted candles in the branches of nearby fir trees. The first ever Christmas tree in Riga, adorned with flowers, appeared at a Christmas season street carnival organised by the Blackhead brotherhood and was burnt in 1510 before Shrove Tuesday. Saying good-bye to the current year and seeing in the new one in Latvia has elements of both pagan Latvian and Christian traditions. The old solstice rituals with their masquerades have also centred around the fir tree whereas in Christianity this tree symbolises the tree of knowledge in the Garden of Eden and Christ's gift of eternal life, but the lit candles in the tree are a reflection of the light Christ brought to the world of darkness.

In the Christian world, the Christmas tree tradition first spread in the German lands: as early as the beginning of the 17th century it was a custom to bring home a fir tree at Christmas and decorate it with paper roses and apples. Only in the 19th century this tradition took hold in Great Britain and afterwards in the United States and elsewhere.

To many Christmas tree is something more than just a ritual object or a decoration: it is a symbol of vitality and rebirth, of uniting spiritual energy, of peace and brotherly love. These same ideas have motivated the Bank of Latvia to issue a special coin honouring the Christmas tree.

Coin of Water
Face value: 1 lats
Weight: 26.00 g; area measurement: 32.00 x 32.00 mm; shape: square
Metal: silver of .925 fineness; quality: proof
Struck in 2009 by Rahapaja Oy (Finland)
Obverse
In the centre, a path of a drop of water begins from the inscription H2O against a background of drops of water in the lower part of the coin. The inscription LATVIJAS REPUBLIKA is placed along the lower part of the left upper side of the coin, and the year MMIX (2009 in Roman numerals) is featured along the lower part of the right upper side of the coin.

Reverse
A water crystal is depicted in the centre of the coin, with the inscription 1 LATS placed along the lower part of the right lower side of the coin.

Marek

ElleKitty
Mewmismatist
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (24)
Knight Argent

There's an awful lot of coins out there still.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 11:18:57 PM »

Marek, those are some beautiful coins!  I am glad that you shared them with us. Smiley  Coins from your country don't often show up in my local coin store.  *jealous*

Nighthawk
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (12)
Knight Argent

DELTA FORCE

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 12:33:17 AM »

Very nice coins Marek. Thanks for sharing!  Smiley

NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
LOVER OF ART & HISTORY
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971
triggersmob
Trade Count: (30)
Knight Argent

Western Australian State Flag

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 07:41:17 AM »

Beautiful coins, Marek.

Steve
Tobyle
Trade Count: (9)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 05:16:57 PM »

Very nice, Marek!
Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (10)
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 10:23:34 PM »

I will have to start searching for the WATER coin. I really like odd shaped coins and that one is very well design and struck.
 The coin with the Xmas tree also can be seen with a different view. Man's continued destruction of the world of trees and the role it places on other species such as the squirrels. It would also look, at least through my eyes, that their is much more paganism left in the world than the dominate religions would like to think? (Don't get me wrong, I just believe every man and woman have a choice to believe whatever they choose.)  I noticed the full moon as well!  A very beautiful coin but full of hidden meanings? Guess I will have to keep my eyes peeled for both coins.
Thanks for sharing Marek and stirring my imagination this morning!

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Trade Count: (1)
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 09:30:34 PM »

Yes indeed, those beautiful coins.

Erik
Trade Count: (0)
Knight Argent

coin.erik@gmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 01:34:19 AM »

Coin of Water is very interested. Thank you Marek.

Cheesy  I am only young and beginner collector but I am very happy in our castle Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: