KOTCT Members Forum
April 18, 2024, 04:59:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: U.S. STAR NOTES  (Read 1021 times)
templar
KNIGHT #125--YOUR SERVANT AND FRIEND--ALWAYS
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (30)
Knight Argent

NUMISMATIST--MASTER OF TRIVIA--HISTORIAN--A.A.N.G.

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 17, 2009, 08:43:22 PM »

I NOTICED SOME CONFUSION AS TO WHAT A STAR NOTE WAS AND I WOULD LIKE TO QUOTE FROM A PAPER MONEY BOOK--"WHEN A NOTE IS FOUND TO BE IMPERFECT IN THE COURSE OF MANUFACTURE, IT IS REPLACED WITH A 'STAR' NOTE--THAT IS A NOTE BEARING A STAR EITHER BEFORE OR AFTER THE SERIAL NUMBER. ON THE FEDERAL RESERVE NOTES THE STAR IS AFTER THE SERIAL NUMBER--ON ALL OTHER ISSUES IT IS IN FRONT OF THE SERIAL NUMBER. A STAR NOTE IS USED FOR THE 100,000,000TH NOTE IN A SERIES BECAUSE THE MACHINES CANNOT PRINT OVER EIGHT DIGITS"
        I HOPE THIS HELPS SOME OF YOU---GENERALLY A STAR NOTE IS WORTH MORE AND THE HIGHER THE DENOMINATION AND QUALITY OF THE NOTE INCREASES THE VALUE.
                                       YOUR SERVANT--THE TEMPLAR!

DRUID
HUMORIST
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN
BARD
TIME WAS INVENTED SO EVERYTHING WOULD NOT HAPPEN AT ONCE!
nuggethill
Trade Count: (1)
Knight

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 05:06:01 AM »

G'Day all,Templar thanks for the clarification though I still call any note with a star for or aft a star note,last year in a lucky exchange I traded Aussie notes for U.S. notes,one of the U.S. exchange notes was a $1.00 replacement star note circulated but very fine star at end kansas City 1963 series,in another I received a silver certificate blue seal $1.00 star at start used about good 1957A series and 2 X $2.00 star at start but graffiti on obverse of both notes shame,they are 1953B and 1963 series red seal respective.

regards to all
Pocketcoins
Trade Count: (5)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 08:14:14 AM »

nuggethill; you are correct in calling your notes star notes, the 1963 Kansas city is a Federal Reserve Note and the 1957A $1 and the 1953B and and 1963 $2 notes are Legal Tender Notes.
AdamL
Trade Count: (12)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 08:34:49 AM »

I'm actually slightly more confused now. Maybe I'm a little slow tonight. But can someone re-explain to me the difference between one with the star n front and one with the star on the back end?

-Adam
Knight Of The Coin Table #103
Speak the truth
nuggethill
Trade Count: (1)
Knight

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 09:15:19 AM »

G'Day Adam the star note has a star for and aft,normal issue has a star for or aft with the reserve issue the star is aft hope this helps.
 Grin
CoinCrusader42
Knight Excalibur
Trade Count: (13)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 11:28:12 AM »

I have a grand total of one star note in my collection.  As I remember I paid $5 for it.  About the only addition I would like to have as far as paper money is concerned would be a Barr note.  I think they are really inexpensive so should add one to my meager collection.

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

KOTCT No. 2
ANA:  42203
Collector since 1956
Pocketcoins
Trade Count: (5)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 07:49:35 PM »

OK lets see if I can clear this up. Stars have been put on substituted nots since 1910 to show that this note replaces one with the same serial number note that were damaged in printing. On Federal Reserve Notes the star is after the serial number. On all other notes the star is before the seral number.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: