KOTCT Members Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:57:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: New Oldest American Banknote  (Read 1500 times)
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Trade Count: (1)
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« on: October 08, 2008, 07:15:42 AM »

A very rare note, not even priced in the Newman Colonial Paper Money book, printed by Benjamin Franklin in Philadelphia, when he was the only one working in his printing shop, and not in a partnership with William Hall.  This note is for Twenty Shillings, a £1 note.  A fairly sizable sum of money during that time. 

Not a particularly pretty note, and probably one of the lowest grade notes I have in my collection, but a very very rare note, printed by an American patriot, and bought at auction for a whopping $100!

KurtS
Trade Count: (0)

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 07:19:45 AM »

Condition is immaterial to me...what a wonderful piece of history to own, and to imagine it passing through his hands!  Shocked  Did Franklin sign these notes? I see two faded signatures.
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 07:49:22 AM »

Condition is immaterial to me...what a wonderful piece of history to own, and to imagine it passing through his hands!  Shocked  Did Franklin sign these notes? I see two faded signatures.

No, he was just the printer.  The signatures I can make out of this are John Clowes(1730-1790) a justice of the Delaware Supreme Court from 1781-1790 - 16 year old signer? and Hugh Durborrow(1688-1755)  The middle signature is faded to the point at which it cannot be discerned anymore.

AdamL
Trade Count: (12)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 08:41:14 AM »

Absolutely awesome! A whopping $100??? Any chance of you selling it to me for a profit of a whopping $20? Grin

-Adam
Knight Of The Coin Table #103
Speak the truth
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 05:58:27 PM »

Absolutely awesome! A whopping $100??? Any chance of you selling it to me for a profit of a whopping $20? Grin

Another one in similar condition sold last night for $138.  A sign that the economy is going south, prices on very rare stuff are unimaginably low lately.

AdamL
Trade Count: (12)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 12:41:38 AM »

Another one in similar condition sold last night for $138.  A sign that the economy is going south, prices on very rare stuff are unimaginably low lately.

Very interesting.

-Adam
Knight Of The Coin Table #103
Speak the truth
EgCollector
Trade Count: (14)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 06:05:25 AM »

I am not into note collecting but this is very interesting
Thanks for sharing  Smiley

Amr Smiley Smiley Smiley

Knight #107
CoinCrusader42
Knight Excalibur
Trade Count: (13)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 03:10:14 PM »

As a former teacher of United States history, I certainly appreciate the note.

What a great piece of history.

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

KOTCT No. 2
ANA:  42203
Collector since 1956
ElleKitty
Mewmismatist
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (24)
Knight Argent

There's an awful lot of coins out there still.

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 12:52:01 AM »

I'd place money that instead of a counterfieting prevention, that white stripe is something along the lines of fabric tape; meant to hold that poor battered piece of history together.  At it's age, it's going to need a little help. That note is older than any of us by what, 200-250 years?  He started printing these things in the 1720s?

scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 01:00:41 AM »

The white strip is a piece of fibre, cotton based with bio-organic adhesives that are water soluble.  Unfortunately an awful lot of split paper from the 17-18th century got taped together with scotch tape during the 20th century, and guess what? 

Scotch tape eventually breaks down, the adhesive chemicals in the glues absorb into the paper, making clear spots and ruining the eye appeal.

If something is professionally conserved, they take the approach like using natural fibre based materiel with organic adhesives that are water soluble so that it can be taken off at a later time if desired without affecting the historic document, currency etc.

I have an old book from Scotland that was printed in 1806 that I put part of the cover back on using a paste made with a small amount of water and plain old baker's flour.  Baker's flour combined with water makes a decent binding agent for books etc. and is easily removable of course.

CoinCrusader42
Knight Excalibur
Trade Count: (13)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 10:32:34 AM »

I just happened on this thread this evening -- The Fourth of July!!

I've already posted once, but again, what a historically significant note, tattered though it is.

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

KOTCT No. 2
ANA:  42203
Collector since 1956
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: