KOTCT Members Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:16:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Signer of Dec. Of Independence Signature On A New Jersey Colonial  (Read 779 times)
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Trade Count: (1)
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 19, 2008, 08:51:13 PM »

Ordinarily a fairly common Colonial era note, but curiously whilst things were becoming tumultuous, notice that George III's name is still noted on this banknote issued by New Jersey.  This is a reflection of the fact that during this early period in the American Revolution many in what would become the United States still hoped for greater autonomy and not outright independence from Great Britain.

But because of one of the signers of this note, notably the second signature in the middle of the signature area, John Hart, this note becomes extraordinary, John Hart would go on 3.5 months later to endeavour to sign the Declaration of Independence, a resolution which reflected quickly changing opinion regarding the relationship with Great Britain and a realisation that the relationship had in fact been severed.

Signers of these notes were usually better known people in the community, people of high regard, and occasionally, as in this example they went on to sign momentous documents which would change history.

scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 11:58:06 PM »

Thanks for the addtl info OldDan, appreciate it, just adds to the story behind the signature Grin

KurtS
Trade Count: (0)

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 01:56:14 AM »

What an great story behind that note!  I also notice the leaf pattern--does anyone know if that was a direct print?  I recall somewhere how Ben Franklin suggested leaf patterns on currency to thwart counterfeiting, as no two impressions would be the same.
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 03:46:14 AM »

What an great story behind that note!  I also notice the leaf pattern--does anyone know if that was a direct print?  I recall somewhere how Ben Franklin suggested leaf patterns on currency to thwart counterfeiting, as no two impressions would be the same.

I believe a leaf was directly affixed to the printing plate to make the impression.  This is usually the giveaway on the British counterfeits, they were direct plate printed without the leaf impression, but rather a cutout of a leaf.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: