KOTCT Members Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:10:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: New Notes Join my Notaphilic Harem  (Read 1048 times)
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Trade Count: (1)
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 09, 2008, 10:38:28 PM »

Military Payment Certificates, better known as "MPC's" were first issued in 1946 to servicemen of the American military. The earliest series were first used in Europe, then in Asia in areas where the USA maintained a military presence. The military brass realised that they were exchanging significant sums of foreign currencies for servicemen overseas, and that it was alleged that some was going into blackmarket economies. In an effort to stem blackmarket activities by servicemen, the MPC's were instituted, and were not exchangeable for cash outside of US military facilities. The first issues were rather plain, usually consisting of the heraldic eagle, and rather dull designs. After the conclusion of the Korean conflict a new series, Series 521 was issued, this issue was significant, in that in departure from the earlier drab designs, attractive females figured prominently on all denominations issued. This lovely Ceres was issued beginning in 1954, though it was printed in 1952, the first two digits in the series are the year the issue was printed, but not necessarily when it was used. This issue was used until 1958 when the Series 581 notes were issued. This Series 521 issue was significant also in that both sides of the notes featured attractive females. This $10 denomination would be the highest denomination in the MPCs until the Series 661 notes were released in 1968.

scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 10:39:36 PM »

The name of the vignette on this $5 note is Laura and she was engraved by Richard Bower. This is an interesting image, very 1960's hairstyle on a pretty girl. The reverse of this note is title Europa and she was engraved by Arthur M. Dintaman. This note was printed in the first printing series for this denomination.

scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 10:40:51 PM »

Whilst the young attractive lady on the front of the $20 note is mysteriously unknown, she was engraved by F.T. Howe. The reverse is a better known work, The Bouquet by Edward R. Felver. This reverse vignette was prominent on the front of the Bank of the Philippine Islands 50 Peso note used early in the 20th century, but designed by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing in Washington D.C.

Paint Your Wagon
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 11:18:00 PM »

I can dig Laura  Grin

I am not so sure about the orange effigy which looks all to greek to me ( that is pleasing to both sexes )

Where I am going I ain't certain
Where I am going I don't know
All I know is that I'am on my way
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 05:40:05 AM »

First large sized purchase in about 2.5 years for me, had to have because of the lady on the reverse - not the bison on the front.  This note is ex Chet Krause collection.

triggersmob
Trade Count: (30)
Knight Argent

Western Australian State Flag

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 06:00:37 AM »

I'm not getting any pics in those first three posts, only red crosses.

Steve
Nighthawk
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (12)
Knight Argent

DELTA FORCE

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 08:21:17 AM »

Same here!  Smiley

NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
LOVER OF ART & HISTORY
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971
templar
KNIGHT #125--YOUR SERVANT AND FRIEND--ALWAYS
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (30)
Knight Argent

NUMISMATIST--MASTER OF TRIVIA--HISTORIAN--A.A.N.G.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 08:50:32 AM »

AFTER MANY YEARS OF WISHING.......I FINALLY GOT 2 GREAT "HORSE BLANKETS"  OR LARGE U.S. NOTES.....THE $5 AMERICAN INDIAN AND THE $10 BUFFALO(BISON).....THESE ARE TWO OF THE MOST ATTRACTIVE NOTES EVER PUT OUT BY THE U..S.----------THEY STAY TOGETHER AT THE BANK AND ONLY COME HOME ONCE IN A WHILE............THESE GO ALONG WITH MY LOVE OF HISTORY

THE TEMPLAR

* hunt20001.jpg (528.19 KB, 1339x1094 - viewed 141 times.)

DRUID
HUMORIST
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN
BARD
TIME WAS INVENTED SO EVERYTHING WOULD NOT HAPPEN AT ONCE!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: