KOTCT Members Forum
May 12, 2024, 07:05:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages:  1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: ebay  (Read 30059 times)
Paint Your Wagon
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (1)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2008, 11:44:49 PM »

I wanted to give him a goldcoin and my wife asked whether I was mad to give a kid a goldcoin .
I am glad I did not because he probably would have bounced it of the ceiling a few times and then be
mad when the buyer told him it was damaged the day after when my brother went to exchange it for cash .
My brother prefers satelite connections and hothouses and garden ponds etc

Where I am going I ain't certain
Where I am going I don't know
All I know is that I'am on my way
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2008, 12:16:25 AM »

You're an awfully nice relative to hand out a €500 note to a kid.  Once I gave my daughter a $100 bill for her birthday, I think it was her 12th.  She didn't believe it was real(she knows I like to play practical jokes), I had to convince her it really was real.

Paint Your Wagon
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2008, 01:03:51 AM »

You're an awfully nice relative to hand out a €500 note to a kid.  Once I gave my daughter a $100 bill for her birthday, I think it was her 12th.  She didn't believe it was real(she knows I like to play practical jokes), I had to convince her it really was real.

My family is fairly old which can be deduced from the spelling of my family name
They also seem to produce a lot of girls
There are about 12 people with my name in the 11 million people phone book ; my father assured me that it was all family.

I told my brother and my nephew that allthough I was his godfather the next gift would be at his wedding  Tongue

Noblesse oblige
But not too much  Smiley

scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2008, 01:18:23 AM »

My sister in laws husband is one of five boys, no girls.  Each of those five boys has only had girls so far, my sister in law has three girls.  I think sometimes people keep having children because they want either a boy or a girl finally, but mother nature has last laugh.  I have one boy and two girls.  I am glad I have a son, because if I had only daughters I would be in funny farm on serious meds.

Paint Your Wagon
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2008, 01:32:27 AM »

My sister in laws husband is one of five boys, no girls.  Each of those five boys has only had girls so far, my sister in law has three girls.  I think sometimes people keep having children because they want either a boy or a girl finally, but mother nature has last laugh.  I have one boy and two girls.  I am glad I have a son, because if I had only daughters I would be in funny farm on serious meds.

I had an engineer working for me who gave up after four girls
He was surely sorry to be bossed around by five women in the house  Cry

Sap
Trade Count: (0)
Knight Argent

The Numismatichemist

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2008, 07:04:26 PM »

Since nobody accepts these notes in a shop I wanted to scan it for myself because I probably will never see one like that again .
The bank gives me a stack of 50 Euro used notes

Canon driver said error error you may have wrongly placed the object whatever I tried
Silverfast driver was a lot more explicit , it said I was trying to scan a banknote and would be allowed but that it would attach a refuse to print and gave a website for all of the world with the legislation in vigor for scanning , printing or sharing electronically banknotes .

72 dpi max and specimen printed over 70% of the surface is the Belgian requirement . I was downright amazed cause I thought that that only writing on it or tearing it in two was forbidden .  Huh
That would be the EURion detector. Most banknotes designed this millennium contain a distinctive, repeating pattern, dubbed the Eurion constellation. Manufacturers of printers, cameras and scanners and image editing software companies have now written into their software the ability to detect the EURion pattern, and take preventive action. I'd heard about it, but never heard a personal testimony of a note collector actually being blocked by it before.

Definitely a case where "old technology is better". I've got an old scanner with old drivers and use and old graphics program, and don't plan on upgrading any of them anytime soon.

I recall a witty observation about the EURion; I think it was made in NewScientist magazine when the system was first rolled out:

If EURion recognition software becomes entrenched in all digital imaging system software, then all a criminal would have to do to become invisible would be to wear the EURion prominently on a T-shirt; any security camera systems would blank out whenever it spotted them. Roll Eyes

KoCT #21

The early bird gets the worm, sure, but
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2008, 07:24:02 PM »

Well back in the day, say the 1930's, the Dutch company Joh. Enschede & Co was printing notes with graphical patterns which today even on my older HP scanner cause it to rotate the image:

To finally get this image I had to tweak the settings down on the dpi and contrast, otherwise everytime I scanned it it would automatically rotate the image by about 15 degrees or so.  Practically anytime you have a very dense and fine engraving with alternating patterns like on this note, it will likely wreak havoc with the scanned image.  So see, by example, it doesn't have to be a modern banknote to create such anomalies, just a very technically advanced old design.

Paint Your Wagon
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2008, 12:00:16 AM »

My old scanner was win95-98
I used a paralel to usb cable and then I tried two dozen drivers on xp but xp just refused even to see the scanner
I tried experimental software and photoshop told me I had no scanner
So after two months I bought a new scanner and put the win 98 SE computer in the cellar cause the fan was like an airoplane taking of
and I retired the old scanner

I can only say the new scanner will focus perfectly through capsules which the old one could not

Paint Your Wagon
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2008, 08:37:24 PM »

This coin is said to be rescued from a housefire
Has anybody ever seen some ligit burned coins ?
Did they look like this ?
To me it looks like soothe and I really  wonder what the coin woul look like after a distilled water bath
allthough at that price I am not tempted  Grin

http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/Rare-1885-20-AU-Liberty-gold-authentic-double-eagle_W0QQitemZ260243235856QQihZ016QQcategoryZ39472QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2008, 08:45:55 PM »

Given the rarity of the 1885 $20, I wouldn't even give that coin a second glance.  Perhaps the fire is a ruse to lead you away from your money?

Paint Your Wagon
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2008, 10:54:44 PM »

Given the rarity of the 1885 $20, I wouldn't even give that coin a second glance.  Perhaps the fire is a ruse to lead you away from your money?

I had the exact same feeling
If this coin is really an original why not restore it .I see a fingerpint at 10 o'clock on the obverse
Well I am curious if anyone will make an offer  Grin

Paint Your Wagon
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2008, 10:18:27 PM »

How can you ask 2000 euro for a coin and offer two shitty fotos ; one looking like it is silver instead of gold
Any 75 dollar scanner would do better

http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/25-BF-in-goud-van-1848-L-Wiener-in-staat-PRACHTIG-FDC_W0QQitemZ250256279391QQihZ015QQcategoryZ45344QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2008, 12:36:35 AM »

What are you talking about?  I regularly see €20K coins with crappy photos, don't you know, you buy what the seller says, not what the farging coin looks like? Cheesy  It is amazing these losers sell anything, but then consider the average population, IQ well... Cry

Paint Your Wagon
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2008, 01:19:29 AM »

What are you talking about?  I regularly see €20K coins with crappy photos, don't you know, you buy what the seller says, not what the farging coin looks like? Cheesy  It is amazing these losers sell anything, but then consider the average population, IQ well... Cry

Well I spend three years learning photograding from an American coindealer .
I used to ask for better pics and they would pm me the same crap thinking it would look better then on ebay cause it was a direct pm
I am willing to buy a MDP coin in box with certificate and trust it was an investment by somebody who could not care to open the box  Roll Eyes
but not an old Belgian from somebody who would probably describe the coin as nice

I just got a 1982 Monegask essai and the certificate is not even folded . I have never ever seen an unfolded certificate in my life . This investor thinks gold is going to plunge and he is liquidating all his essais he bought . Coin is welded in plastic of course  Huh My luck to catch him liquidating .

Paint Your Wagon
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2008, 01:33:38 AM »

I have learned to read the theeleaves
Attached coin eg you cannot see it but the opaque ring on the capsule means this coin is  damaged beyond AU
Monnaie de Paris was stupid enough to put a warped coin in a straight capsule so that it rotated all the way to its destination inside the
capsule creating the opaque ring on the capsule and friction damage on both sides of the coin
This coin was owned in silver by many dudes on the old forum

http://cgi.ebay.de/FRANKREICH-1-Ultimative-Ultime-Franc-Gold-2001_W0QQitemZ150247745869QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item150247745869&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C65%3A10&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Pages:  1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: