KOTCT Members Forum
May 18, 2024, 04:54:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages:  1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 22   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting Finds From Circulation  (Read 30434 times)
CoinCrusader42
Knight Excalibur
Trade Count: (13)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #165 on: August 24, 2008, 10:02:04 AM »

Dominican Republic.  10 Centavos.  1973.  Size of a dime.

Found in my pocket change.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

KOTCT No. 2
ANA:  42203
Collector since 1956
CoinCrusader42
Knight Excalibur
Trade Count: (13)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #166 on: September 05, 2008, 03:16:50 PM »

No great and stunning finds, but somewhat unusual.

Clad JFK Dollar (1976) with minimal wear, and a Sacagawea Dollar, 2000, with very little wear.  Still shiny.

I think it would be great for coins such as these to start circulating.  Who knows, maybe with the next administration, we'll finally get rid of the $1 bill, and we'll see a huge change in the kind of money we carry around.

The two aforementioned coins came in change from a Safeway Supermarket.

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

KOTCT No. 2
ANA:  42203
Collector since 1956
ElleKitty
Mewmismatist
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (24)
Knight Argent

There's an awful lot of coins out there still.

View Profile Email
« Reply #167 on: September 05, 2008, 04:04:21 PM »

I miss Safeway!  Heck, I miss Albertsons.   My current choices for grocery stores are HEB or Walmart Supercenter.  Cry

Topher
Trade Count: (0)

Email
« Reply #168 on: September 05, 2008, 08:32:25 PM »

I miss Safeway!  Heck, I miss Albertsons.   My current choices for grocery stores are HEB or Walmart Supercenter.  Cry

We just got a Walmart Supercenter up here and they're really putting a dent into the grocery stores.
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Trade Count: (1)
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #169 on: September 06, 2008, 12:00:46 AM »

Don't you have a Randalls nearby?  HEB was cheap, but selection pretty slim on items though.  Randalls had pretty outrageous prices, but had some selection at least in their "premium" stores in Houston.

ElleKitty
Mewmismatist
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #170 on: September 06, 2008, 04:22:30 AM »

Nope, no Randalls.  I think the only other grocery store we've got in town is a Fiesta food mart?  Not the sort of store I'd want to shop in.  It looks dirty. Sad

The only other game in town, Albertson's, folded up and moved back north about eight years ago.  I was working there part time, as a second job.  I really liked shopping there.

triggersmob
Trade Count: (30)
Knight Argent

Western Australian State Flag

View Profile Email
« Reply #171 on: September 06, 2008, 06:03:42 AM »

Ellekitty, sounds like you have a great opportunity. Open up your own store. Imagine all those nights, sitting alone in the store after work, going through all that loose change looking for the coins you need. LOL

Steve
ElleKitty
Mewmismatist
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #172 on: September 06, 2008, 06:14:39 AM »

In a way you're absolutely right, triggersmob.  I worked in fast food, movie theatres, and grocery stores for several years when in High School and in college.  I miss terribly the opportunity to go through rolls of coins, and people's pocket change without anyone caring at all.  But, I'm not giving up my career to go back into that, no matter how intriguing the coins may be. Wink  I can afford to buy better ones!

scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #173 on: September 06, 2008, 06:40:27 AM »

Nope, no Randalls.  I think the only other grocery store we've got in town is a Fiesta food mart?  Not the sort of store I'd want to shop in.  It looks dirty. Sad

There were Fiestas in Houston, but they were usually in Hispanic neighbourhoods, but I shopped in one of them because it was right near where I worked.  It was a nice clean store, but not all of them were.  I liked the selection of Latin American vittles there.

Randalls tend to be in ritzy areas, okay, I admit, I lived in Kingwood, which is a fairly pricey area of Houston.  They had good selections of food, but their prices were up the bottom and out the ears.  Most of the time we were HEB shoppers.  We had to drive down to Humble(pronounced Umble) or up to Porter to pay the prices we were willing to pay since we are cheap Scots.

If and when we ever live in Texas again there is no desire on my part to ever live in Houston again.  I could very easily move to Marshall or Tyler, or out in your part of the country!  Texas is just such a beautiful state, I sure miss Spring there and the Indian Paintbrush and Bluebonnets.

scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #174 on: September 06, 2008, 06:42:27 AM »

But, I'm not giving up my career to go back into that, no matter how intriguing the coins may be. Wink  I can afford to buy better ones!

Now you can afford to go to the bank like I do, and buy boxes of cents, nickels etc. and go through them for the goodies Grin  Even though I can afford fairly pricey coins, nothing beats finding a nice 1909 VDB in a roll like I did last week.  That is more fun than gambling or blowing $1K on a coin.

ElleKitty
Mewmismatist
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #175 on: September 06, 2008, 04:29:03 PM »

I don't think I could ever permanently leave Texas.  It's home, and that's how it will stay.  From the dusty desert and mountains out west, to the gorgeous pine trees and bayous of the east, the hill country in the middle and the coastal plains of the gulf.  Can't say as I'm all that fond of the panhandle though. Flat, dusty place.  I prefer it down here. Grin

Scottish, you sure need to visit the Wimberley area.

I miss the biweekly coin delivery at the restaurant.  For five years, I was a manager, and could lock myself in the office and go through the safe all I wanted.  You're absolutely right about the thrill of the chase, and the find!  However, I just can't make myself be interested in US coins.  The new ones are just too familiar, and spendable ontop of that; the old ones are just too bloody expensive.  What I liked best was pulling silver dimes or quarters out of the rolls, of when someone would sneak a foreign coin in the change, and the really rare occasion when someone would spend an old bill for a Whopper at Burger King. Cheesy  "Redeemable in Gold" You just don't see phrases like that these days.

Nighthawk
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (12)
Knight Argent

DELTA FORCE

View Profile Email
« Reply #176 on: September 06, 2008, 05:56:10 PM »

Very nice notes, Miss Kitty! Some years ago, my daughter and I were searching thru rolls of cents, and found a 1924-D Lincoln cent, F-VF, with a ROTATED REVERSE! The reverse was rotated clockwise to about the 2 o'clock position. I still have that coin in my collection. Another time we found an 1858 FLYING EAGLE cent in GOOD condition! How 'bout that! Tracy, you sent me an email on Thur about our trade, but there were no pic's attached to your email. I'd still like to trade! Wink

NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
LOVER OF ART & HISTORY
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #177 on: September 06, 2008, 07:13:59 PM »

Actually the roll searches have produced coins from France, Germany, Bahamas, Bermuda and of course Canada.  The 2€urocent coins double as cents here, but they are worth about 3¢ in our money so a bonus!

Nighthawk
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (12)
Knight Argent

DELTA FORCE

View Profile Email
« Reply #178 on: September 06, 2008, 07:19:44 PM »

Yes, I have found Bahamas, Great Britain, Bermuda, Euro coins, etc, in rolls. One of my best finds I think was a solid roll of 1967 Kennedy half dollars, uncirculated. The edges were still sharp to the touch! Smiley

NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
LOVER OF ART & HISTORY
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971
ElleKitty
Mewmismatist
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #179 on: September 06, 2008, 08:52:18 PM »

NIghthawk, I've sent that stupid email twice now!  I swear.  I'll send it again though.  My original reply should have had an html link in it.  I guess I might have forgotten to put it in there. 

Pages:  1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 22   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: