KOTCT Members Forum
May 18, 2024, 03:32:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Perth Mint designs coins for Kids of all ages  (Read 982 times)
rggoodie
Trade Count: (0)
Knight

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 31, 2008, 09:25:51 AM »

The Perth Mint has just announced a new set of coins for young collectors

* New Program For Young Collectors
    * Designed to be fun and educational
    * 12 Australian Animal $1 Coins in 2008
    * Australian Legal Tender
    * Purchase Coins Individually
    * Starter Album and Complete Album Available
    * Bonus Medallion with Complete Album

NEW YOUNG COLLECTOR PROGRAM AIMS TO INSPIRE LIFELONG INTEREST IN COINS

Young Collectors kicks-off with 12 Australian Animal $1 coins. Each coin is housed on a coloured card featuring a magnificent illustration of its animal. Educational information included on the back of the card includes whether the animal is endangered or secure, what it eats, where it lives, and a fascinating 'Did You Know?' section. Collect Young Collectors coins individually, in a Starter Kit, or in the Complete Album.

Clicking this link will take you to the Perth Mint site with info on this set and pictures of each coin

http://www.perthmint.com.au/young-collectors-2008-australian-animal-coin-series.aspx
also

This is a new Site for Young Collectors sponsored by the mint
http://www.youngcollectors.com.au/
Tobyle
Trade Count: (9)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 03:15:06 PM »

Was just checking out the site before I logged on here ........ ouch ...... looks like I'm going to HAVE TO sign up my young nephew and get the coins to put away for him until he is a little older.
arthrene
Trade Count: (6)
Knight

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 05:46:54 PM »

Are these coins going to be released for circulation or are they just in the set?

Knightess No. 133
Tobyle
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 06:00:16 PM »

Being from the Perth Mint, I'd say not for circulation.
Nevol
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (19)
Knight Argent

Queensland State Flag

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 06:03:51 PM »

They're all NCLT.

KOTCT #46
Nancy

Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved.
rggoodie
Knight

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 06:37:21 PM »

However if you give them to the "kids" you know they will take them out of the album and cards and SPEND them!

so I expect they will be in circulation within 24 hours of release  Grin Grin Grin
Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (10)
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 03:30:43 AM »

I am very fond of animal coins and myself would like to add these Aussie $1 coins to my collection BUT I feel they are a tad bit pricey for YOUNG collectors? Shocked  Seems they should eliminate a whole lot of printed material and give the kids (and me) a decent price on the unc. coins!  Grin I don't collect paper or boxes so a package with JUST the coins would be great!!! Grin

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)
KurtS

Email
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 03:48:32 AM »

I happen to like these for their supporting info. on each animal.
Some kids will probably keep the coin in their cards, and remember details on habitat, diet, etc.
These simple cards have more info on animals than I usually see in our big aquariums and zoos.
As one who works in science education, I'd much prefer an animal coin program over the state quarter series.
Tobyle
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 05:32:23 AM »

I am very fond of animal coins and myself would like to add these Aussie $1 coins to my collection BUT I feel they are a tad bit pricey for YOUNG collectors?   Seems they should eliminate a whole lot of printed material and give the kids (and me) a decent price on the unc. coins!   I don't collect paper or boxes so a package with JUST the coins would be great!!!

It actually works out cheaper to get to whole set with all the 'paper work' and 'packaging' etc than to get a set of just the coins. $9.95 per coin, (12 coins) but $79.95 for the full set.
latman

Email
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 03:15:43 PM »

I bought these for my eldest son (3) and they just arrived today. He was quite excited as he knew they were coming. After all the hype of going through the set, pulling out the medalion, looking at all the coins, he enjoyed taking all the stickers and sticking them on his Dad the most.  Smiley And of the coins, the only one he was really interested in was the Gordy the Gecko medalion.

As for the coins, I would only give them an Ok. Actually probably an almost Ok (should this be a new grade?). They are weakly struck without a lot of detail and require a bit of twisting and turning in the light to get a good look at them. I think most would pass on a purchase if the coin was in hand.

But then again, they aren't meant for serious collectors, or even adults for that matter, so they may appeal to the younger market.  My son wanted them so he could get coins in the mail and share in what I do, so if they ignite some spark of interest, then they have done something good. However, I think I could have achieved the same result by sending my son something a bit nicer myself.
EgCollector
Trade Count: (14)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 04:23:54 PM »

As for the coins, I would only give them an Ok. Actually probably an almost Ok (should this be a new grade?). They are weakly struck without a lot of detail and require a bit of twisting and turning in the light to get a good look at them. I think most would pass on a purchase if the coin was in hand.

Just place a Great White Shark on this coin and it will be more than OK for me. Grin

Thanks for the link rggoodie 

Amr Smiley Smiley Smiley

Knight #107
rggoodie
Knight

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 06:06:58 PM »

I received my set and am keeping it sealed  who knows who will be looking for one some years from now

I also have the  "Coin collector Starter kit" issued a number of years ago.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: