KOTCT Members Forum
May 16, 2024, 10:57:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 22 karat Sacagawea Gold Dollars of 1999  (Read 577 times)
S.George
Trade Count: (24)
Knight Argent

vicgeonath@yahoo.co.in
View Profile Email
« on: November 29, 2007, 12:05:32 AM »

Cheesy

Greetings to Group Members!!

Anybody attended the ANA World's Fair of Money, Milwaukee??

There, the United States Mint presented the FIRST-EVER PUBLIC SHOWING  of the twelve 22 Karat SACAGAWEA GOLDEN DOLLARS, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, on August 10, 2007.

The coins were minted to commemorate NASA'S first space shuttle flight to be under the command of a Woman, Col. Eileen Collins, and to create public awareness of the new Golden Dollars scheduled for release in 2000.   

When these 12 coins entered space on STS-93, July 23, 1999, it highlighted the spirit of poineering women spanning almost 200 years, SACAGAWEA in 1805 to Col.Eileen Collins in 1999.

There are ONLY TWELVE 22 KARAT SACAGAWEA GOLDERN DOLLARS in existence.   They have neven been made available for private ownership.

U.S.Mint Director Mr.Edmund C. Moy has presented COMMEMORATIVE COLLECTOR's CARD with the pictures of 12 Sacagawea Golden Dollars  August 10 - 12, 2007., autographed by him 

I am One of the Owners of this Historic Card., autographed by Mr. Edmund C. Moy.  Anybody see the Golden Dollars, next time, just inform me, how they are??

Kind regards

George/India

It is by giving others, we actually receive from G
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Trade Count: (1)
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 04:04:00 AM »

I think it is farcical that they can create some coin in such limited numbers and not make them available to collectors.  Britain and France have done OMS coins for some time, even in peidforts.  They are not usually cheap, but they are obtainable.  I once owned a 2000 French Franc that was struck in .835 gold.

CoinCrusader42
Knight Excalibur
Trade Count: (13)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 09:51:59 AM »

I was at the ANA Money Show in Denver, and of course, they weren't displayed for another year.

Here's what bothers me about the whole deal.  Sure they should be guarded.  But, whose coins are they?  I would guess they belong to the tax payers of the United States.  Therefore they should be made available to the general public, whether that means the ANA Museum, the Smithsonian, or a number of other places.

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

KOTCT No. 2
ANA:  42203
Collector since 1956
Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (10)
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 07:27:49 PM »

If I remember correctly two of them did go to museums, one of them the Smithsonian, but not sure about the other. And, of course, that is from my memory system so............? If they ever do put them up for sale they will bring MILLIONS which will, for the most part, eliminate me from the bidding process!!! Grin

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Trade Count: (1)
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 08:01:04 PM »

I rather like the idea of gold OMS strikes for coinage, even silver OMS.  But to strike a mere 11 examples and prohibit the numismatic community from the opportunity to own or even let alone see is governmental arrogance on a high scale.

Right now you can buy a set of the British Coinage struck in gold OMS that cost £4000 or similar, it is pricey but obtainable if you really must have it and let the Range Rover to buy it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: