KOTCT Members Forum
May 16, 2024, 02:43:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 2009 Lincoln Cents  (Read 618 times)
Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (10)
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« on: January 10, 2009, 09:07:05 PM »

I find it rather ironic that the most exciting thing that will probably happen in U.S. coinage this year is the commemoration of the 100th year of the Lincoln Cent. Seems we won't be able to afford anything else so its a fitting tribute to our economy. Seems the old penny, as we call them, is going to be a star again.
There will be 4 different designs released into circulation (reverse only) and a Lincoln cent made of copper (just like the old days) that will be sold directly from the Mint at highly inflated prices. I don't know if it will be proof and uncirculated issues or just a proof but I do know the Mint blew it by not offering a 2009 S VDB in the exact same mintage as the 1909. Would have been a great opportunity and a money maker for our cash strapped government! It would have been even better if they would have put about half of that mintage into circulation but the filthy rich boys in Washington make every effort to control the secondary market and to keep the poor man POOR! There will be NO such offering this time!

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)
Mortyr2012
Trade Count: (3)
Knight

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 01:04:43 AM »

I have just seen these 4 designs.. especially the last one looks great. Do you know when these coins will be released into circulation?
Will the US-Mint also redesign their Cents in 2010 after this series just like they did with the Nickels in 2006?

In Vielfalt geeint - United in diversity - Unidos
Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (10)
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 08:46:33 AM »

The second reverse, with Lincoln sitting on a log in INDIANA, is the best design in my humble opinion!  Grin

I believe the cents will be released about 3 months apart as there are four of them. Quite honestly I am not sure we will see a 2010 Lincoln Cent as there is a huge movement to stop using the lowly cent. This would be a great ending to the series. Personally I would like to see the cent return but with a total redesign. Won't happen but it is worth dreaming about.

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)
CoinCrusader42
Knight Excalibur
Trade Count: (13)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 09:01:16 AM »

The logical thing to do with the cent, in my opinion, would be to discontinue it as a circulating coin, but mint it for collectors.

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

KOTCT No. 2
ANA:  42203
Collector since 1956
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Trade Count: (1)
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 11:22:10 PM »

The person that actually discontinues the cent better have a ready ticket out of the country.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: