KOTCT Members Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:42:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 1972 50c with die lines/gouges?  (Read 376 times)
KurtS
Trade Count: (0)

Email
« on: October 08, 2008, 07:05:28 AM »

Here's a 1972 50c from a mint set which at first I considered severe post-mint damage and a loss--which would be tragic with the low mintage.

However, looking closer under my scopes, many features on these scratches appear raised above the field, and as a friend noted—there doesn't appear to be an interruption of mint luster by these marks. As pictured below, there are two groups of marks, all parallel to one another through the legends from edge-to-edge, and bounding the portrait on each side. Any thoughts as to the cause? [umm] I've seen die scratches before, but I'm surprised by the severity of this coin.  Shocked

Following are shots from my QX5 with captions for specific details.

10X shot of one side:

A series of scratches, raised in some areas and rough elsewhere that cleanly run into the legends (arrows). If this were damage to the actual coin, I would expect gaps where the object hits the letter and skips off the field of the coin, leaving a break.

Another example of this, with some raised blobs trailing the letter:

More rough, raised surfaces:

One prominent, raised line (parallel to all other lines):

Rough surfaces with raised features interacting with the legend:

Marks trailing towards the coin's edge:
KurtS
Trade Count: (0)

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 11:38:32 PM »

After taking a closer look at this coin, it looks to be damage to the planchet before striking--these marks extend cleanly through devices without any deflection. It's a pretty striking coin with these marks on both sides of the portrait--and I'm very happy it's not post-mint damage.  Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: