KOTCT Members Forum
May 20, 2024, 08:21:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages:  1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Gold coins  (Read 30351 times)
Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (10)
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2008, 11:50:39 AM »

Well Paint Your Wagon I like it so send it on over an I will keep an eye on it for you!!! Grin  Actually, the coin is a bit bland for an Austrian design. I have quite a few of their silver commemoratives and I am impressed by the detail they put into most of their designs. I don't know how many times I wished some of their mint personnel would move to the U.S. Mint. I whole heartedly agree with you concerning their gold design as the first time I saw it I didn't believe it was Austrian. I find the obverse too busy and clustered for my eyes. The reverse is more pleasing but not quite the detail one would expect from the Austrian Mint. While it has grown on me over the last few years it just does not have the effect or pull that many gold coins do when you see them.

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Trade Count: (1)
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2008, 06:34:09 PM »

I wonder why other countries that are high gold consumer countries, like France and Switzerland do not issue 1 oz gold coins?  Britain and Austria are the only ones, but I suspect Austria still cranks out Ducats from 1915 etc.

Paint Your Wagon
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2008, 07:19:04 PM »

I wonder why other countries that are high gold consumer countries, like France and Switzerland do not issue 1 oz gold coins?  Britain and Austria are the only ones, but I suspect Austria still cranks out Ducats from 1915 etc.

Answer seems simple
Switzerland is a non euro country and all surrounding custom people try to tax coins from there especially in France and Belgium if I read the internet complaints correctly . I even got taxed 7% on a Double Eagle coming from Switzerland . A young Vicky simply disappeared and the vendor or his insurance paid me back after three months . Needless to say I NEVER buy in Switzerland again
The tax was quiet illegaly I suppose , but the custom people at Brussels X  even refused to pick up the phone . One french speaking custom woman who picked up the phone immidiately disconnected when she detected I spoke French with a Flemish accent But then the telephone operator had warned me this would happen .

For France it is even more simple . They are the only country that taxes gold and I hear French come buy gold in Belgium only 90 minutes from Paris by TGV the high speed train . Monnaie de Paris does not tax out of EEC clients . So Americans are tax exempt .

Where I am going I ain't certain
Where I am going I don't know
All I know is that I'am on my way
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2008, 07:42:37 PM »

For France it is even more simple . They are the only country that taxes gold and I hear French come buy gold in Belgium only 90 minutes from Paris by TGV the high speed train . Monnaie de Paris does not tax out of EEC clients . So Americans are tax exempt .

I didn't buy gold in France because basically you are charged the VAT, well then anyway, and it was 18%.  Yes I could have gotten the money back when I left the country, but too much of a hassle so I didn't bother.  The only gold I remember ever buying in France was a gold Franc I bought in 2000, but sold back to a buyer in France a couple of years later for something like €200 or so, a good profit.  I remember looking in Amsterdam a few years ago, maybe in 2001 or so for the 10fl coins from 1897 with the YH Wilhelmina, but I never found any.

Paint Your Wagon
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #94 on: February 02, 2008, 08:48:25 PM »

As an out of EEC you can buy now directly from the Monnaie de Paris without tax but it is much cheaper buying on the second hand market on ebay Germany

I got two 1897 Florin coins at melt from a french ebayer MS 64 MS 65  Grin
The real challenge is getting the 1898 coin at a reasonable price which I did not succeed yet

Paint Your Wagon
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #95 on: February 02, 2008, 08:50:48 PM »

Oh by the way
The new one ounce Austrian Philharmoniker 1 ounce silver bullion coin started officially 1st of february and and it is selling below american eagles and canadian maples  Cheesy

Paint Your Wagon
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2008, 02:34:14 AM »

After four years of searching I finally got my Gibraltar 70 ECUS Knight at a reasonable price
They normally go 100% over melt since they are anounced as 0.999 pure but they are only 0.500 pure
Bummer is the honest ebayer got only 10% over melt from me
But since postage was paid for I got two silver coins below melt  Grin
Since I am still using my old fotoscanner I will have to figure a way to post pics
My Canon Camera is not broken in yet and the old scanner does not work on the new computer
I got a new Canoscan 8800 still sitting in the box since I fear the half dozen software programs coming with it  Huh

Snooba
Knight

View Profile Email
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2008, 05:52:19 PM »

My European gold coin is from the Netherlands:

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Knightess of the Coin Table No. 39
Paint Your Wagon
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2008, 08:01:36 PM »

Very nice coin
But I like the princesses and queens   Cheesy

PS Do you mean to say you got no British Sovereign ? They are part of Europe whether they like it or not  Cheesy

Snooba
Knight

View Profile Email
« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2008, 01:51:45 PM »

PS Do you mean to say you got no British Sovereign ?

Not even one little old British Sovereign!  I might just go away and cry now!

Cry Sad Cry Sad Cry

Knightess of the Coin Table No. 39
Paint Your Wagon
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2008, 05:34:39 PM »

PS Do you mean to say you got no British Sovereign ?

Not even one little old British Sovereign!  I might just go away and cry now!

Cry Sad Cry Sad Cry

When I grew up my mother and nearly everybody elses mother had one dangling from a bracelet
and all polished to death  Smiley
When she died age 96 a year ago she had managed to sell the darn thing for 100 euro a few months before ; leaving largely bills to be paid

I read somewhere there is 200 million of those Sovereigns around
Some years the British just gave a million of them away to be left alone since they had allready enough wars going I read

scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2008, 02:53:25 AM »

A whole set of MCMLXXXVI AGE's arrived today, the first year they were minted.  From 1986 to 1990 something they had Roman numeral dates, then they ditched them, just like with the St. Gauden's $20 in 1907.  I have never had a half oz coin from the USA before, only the ozs usually.  The only thing I don't care for with them as opposed to the Saints is that they had to make Ms. Liberty look waifish instead of more like a woman.

scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #102 on: February 07, 2008, 02:55:35 AM »

Mon monnaie de la or et la piece de la resistance

Gold 22 Shillings, crowned shield, I G either side, rev. crowned monogram MR, date in legend, 2.49gms. The I G on both sides of the shield are for James, Earl of Arran, Governor of Scotland. Curiously, he was next in line to the Scottish throne, being descended from James II. He was appointed regent in 1542, and would subsequently negotiate with the French for Mary's marriage to the Dauphin Francis. For his efforts he was created Duke of Chatellerault. In 1554 the regency was surrendered to Marie of Guise, Queen Mary's mother. The Latin legends on this coin, Maria Dei Gra R Scotorum translates to Mary Queen of the Scots, whilst on the reverse Diligit Iusticiam translates to observe justice. This particular coin is S-5396, and SMA22S-005.

Nevol
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (19)
Knight Argent

Queensland State Flag

View Profile Email
« Reply #103 on: February 07, 2008, 03:13:27 AM »

Re gold coins, I have one Aussie Half sovereign, 1906S and a tiny weeny little coin from somewhere in Sth America.  No more!  I'm gunna go away now & join Snooba to have a cry. Cry Cry Cry 

Nah, not really, just joking.  Grin Grin Grin

KOTCT #46
Nancy

Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved.
Paint Your Wagon
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #104 on: February 07, 2008, 09:10:25 PM »

Scottish
Your pièce de résistance est superbe j'aime bien

But I am afflicted with the american syndrome ; bigger is better  Angry
If that coin were on a LMU standard I would start pulling my moustache ( I do not bite nails ) and go ask my wife what she wanted
as a fair exchange for me hunting one  Lips sealed

Pages:  1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: