KOTCT Members Forum
May 18, 2024, 02:56:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Eye Candy Too! (Didn't want to steal Twoshadows' thread.)  (Read 969 times)
ElleKitty
Mewmismatist
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (24)
Knight Argent

There's an awful lot of coins out there still.

View Profile Email
« on: January 09, 2010, 10:21:48 AM »

I got a neat new coin yesterday, and while photographing it I took some pictures of some other neat coins I'd gotten fairly recently.  I wanted to share them with you, as we really don't seem to do a whole lot of discussing coins these days. Sad

Ahmadi Riyal.  This is a crown size silver coin from the Mutawakkilite Kingdom.  They began issuing coins around the turn of the 20th century. The rial was divided into 160 zalat, 80 halala or 40 buqsha. During the reign of Imam Yahya, the first rial coins were issued. Denominations were given on coins as a fraction of the rial, with the "honorific" Imadi appearing on the coins of Imam Yahya and Ahmadi on the coins of Imam Ahmad. Consequently, the currency is sometimes referred to as the "Imadi riyal" or "Ahmadi rial".

1743 Russian Denga. A denga (Russian: деньга, earlier денга) was a Russian monetary unit with a value latterly equal to ½ kopeck (100 kopecks = 1 Russian ruble). Inspite of the apparent damage and green on this coin, the details that do show up are very clear.  These coins weren't struck with precision, or care.  I like it anyways!

1/13th Shilling, States of Jersey 1861.  This coin is slightly beat up, but it has that lovely blue/purple tone of old copper that I like so much.  These unusual denominations can be traced to back to the act of September 18, 1834. This act decreed that English money would be the sole legal tender in Jersey, a change from the French currency.  At that time, 26 French livres were equal to one English pound.  With 20 shillings to the pound and 20 sous to the livre, one shilling was worth 26 sous.  Thus the Jersey penny or pièce de deux sous became 1/13th of a shilling, the Jersey half penny or sou 1/26th of a shilling, and the farthing or pièce de deux liards 1/52nd of a shilling.

1760 1/4 Real of Spain, minted in Mexico City.

1843 1/4 Real of Mexico, also minted in Mexico city.  This coin has a lovely blue tone to it, and the date appears clashed above the bust on the obv.

2 Reales of Jose Morelos, Mexico. The copper coins ordered by Morelos were equivalent to promises of payment. In other words, they could be exchanged for their face value in gold and silver coins upon the triumph of the revolution. Thus, for the first time fiduciary currency was used in Mexico. The obverse of these roughly manufactured coins bore a Morelos monogram along with the denomination and mint year. On the back, a bow and arrow appears, and underneath them, the word “SUD” (“SOUTH”). There were two main variants: A plain one, and another with profuse floral adornment (Floral = Grapevines and grapes.  Spain didn't want the New World attempting to make wines, so they were forbidden to grow grapes! Nuts, eh?). They were produced in eight, two, one, and half-real coins.

1 Real of Argentina, Casa de Moneda Buenos Aires.  Don't know a whole lot more about this coin, yet.

1/4 Real of Popayan Mint (Colombia.)  That funny shaped picture is a pomegranite.

And finally, Tada!  My new showstopper coin.

This is a 1/4 real of Guatemala, 1837, and it is brilliant unc!  This one didn't come out of the bargain box, Promise you that.

ElleKitty
Mewmismatist
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 10:23:49 AM »

If you look closely on the Ahmadi Riyal, you can see a lot of patterning in the designs.  This is because this coin was overstruck on a Maria Theresa Thaler silver crown.  Cheesy

Warning to dial up- this attached photo is HUGE.

* Asstd 062.JPG (698.35 KB, 1576x1580 - viewed 158 times.)

humpybong
Master Collector
Trade Count: (20)
Knight Argent

bm.1947
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 01:37:44 PM »

Very nice kitty......glad I did not put my sunglasses on.

Barry
Global Moderator
Knight of the Coin Table #47

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"
triggersmob
Trade Count: (30)
Knight Argent

Western Australian State Flag

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 03:42:11 PM »

Ellekitty, you are so right, we don't do enough coin talk.
Thanks for showing these coins and for the additional info.

Steve
templar
KNIGHT #125--YOUR SERVANT AND FRIEND--ALWAYS
Global Moderator
Knight Argent

NUMISMATIST--MASTER OF TRIVIA--HISTORIAN--A.A.N.G.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 07:06:39 PM »

I AGREE WITH YOU--IT IS NICE TO SEE DIFFERENT COINS FROM DIFFERNT TIMES AND PLACES--THOSE WERE VERY ATTRACTIVE COINS  AND MAYBE OTHERS WILL PUT  THEIR COINS UP FOR SHARING..............MAY I SHARE A FEW WITH YOU?----I SENT THESE IN FOR GRADING JUST TO BE DIFFERENT..........HOPE YOU LIKE THEM.....THE TEMPLAR......

* SLABBED COINS0001.jpg (1003.19 KB, 1691x1556 - viewed 168 times.)

DRUID
HUMORIST
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN
BARD
TIME WAS INVENTED SO EVERYTHING WOULD NOT HAPPEN AT ONCE!
templar
Global Moderator
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 07:11:18 PM »

SORRY THAT THE SCANS WERE NOT CLEARER...WILL TRY TO CLEAN THEM UP FOR YOU......HERE ARE SIX MORE...........I  HOPE THESE ARE BETTER.......

THANKS ---THE TEMPLAR

* SLABBED COINS0002.jpg (797.66 KB, 1555x1428 - viewed 170 times.)

DRUID
HUMORIST
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN
BARD
ElleKitty
Mewmismatist
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 07:22:19 PM »

Beautiful coins, Sir Templar! 

I'm always happy to see the bits and pieces of every one else's collections.  I love those old British, and the Russian 5 kopek. Scanning coins in slabs is near impossible! The scanner only focuses on the surface of it's scanning bed, making slabbed coins blurry and hard to see.  Of course, not everyone is into coin photography or has the equipment for it, although even a digital snapshot camera will take good pictures of coins.  For me, the hard part is the lighting. Cheesy

Would anyone else like to share their coins, or ask questions about the coins already posted?

templar
Global Moderator
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 07:25:32 PM »

HERE IS ONE OF THE COINS BY ITSELF....MAYBE IT IS CLEARER THAN TRYING TO GET SIX AT ONCE........IF IT WORKS BETTER--I WILL PUT THE OTHERS ON AT ANOTHER TIME............THE TEMPLAR............THANKS ELLE...........YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT THE BLURRING OF SLABS

* SLABBED COIN0002.jpg (167.88 KB, 591x792 - viewed 155 times.)

DRUID
HUMORIST
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN
BARD
Nighthawk
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (12)
Knight Argent

DELTA FORCE

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 02:15:06 AM »

Heck, I'm always putting up pictures of coins. (F.A.O. Coins, One Year Type Coins, etc..) Is anybody looking? I try to stay away from the political BS, but sometimes I just can't help it! I love seeing other people's stuff. Take a look at my stuff too!!  Smiley  BTW, wonderful coins Ms Kitty! Thank you for sharing them with us!  Smiley

NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
LOVER OF ART & HISTORY
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971
Nevol
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (19)
Knight Argent

Queensland State Flag

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 03:53:57 AM »

I always look at other peoples pictures. Grin 

I can't remember how to take or post pictures unless I do it every day.  Huh

My memory is shocking!   Angry

I just don't have the spare time available to keep learning  how to do things.  Embarrassed

KOTCT #46
Nancy

Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved.
triggersmob
Knight Argent

Western Australian State Flag

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 06:21:34 AM »

Heck, I'm always putting up pictures of coins. (F.A.O. Coins, One Year Type Coins, etc..) Is anybody looking? I try to stay away from the political BS, but sometimes I just can't help it! I love seeing other people's stuff. Take a look at my stuff too!!

Don't worry, we are looking at your too.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: