KOTCT Members Forum
May 19, 2024, 10:22:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages:  [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 1862 Lombardi-Veneto 1 Soldo  (Read 1535 times)
KurtS
Trade Count: (0)

Email
« on: October 24, 2008, 10:00:33 AM »

Here's a coin I located yesterday at a dealer. I have yet to determine value and make an offer.
At first take, I thought this was an average Austro-Hungarian coin, until I saw the Italian inscription, as well as reeding on the edge.
So far, I've been able to determine this was coined during the Austrian occupation of these Italian states, and it appears somewhat scarce.
If you have any more information, I'd enjoy some details. The coin is in a nice grade, but there's a tool mark through the crown--what a shame!  Cry

latman

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 10:15:56 AM »

Now that is a nice coin Kurt, regardless of the tool mark. Had a look in my catalogue of modern world coin and it isn't there. Mind you my book is from the '50s  Smiley
KurtS

Email
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 10:24:51 AM »

Thanks Sean for checking!  Grin Despite that mark, it will be an interesting piece in my collection.
This dealer actually lets me take coins home and do research. He's the source of all my better Aus pennies--cool guy.  Cheesy
ElleKitty
Mewmismatist
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (24)
Knight Argent

There's an awful lot of coins out there still.

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 11:06:44 AM »

Mkay.  From my SCWC, Deluxe ANA Centennial Edition, this coin is a 1 Soldo piece of Lombardi-Veneto beneath the Austrian Administration.  Minted of copper, it has mintmark A for Vienna.

It gives a C# (instead of a KM#) 35.1, date 1862, mintage of 22.275, and well, my values are at least 20 years out of date. Sad

Lombardy-Venetia

Comprised the norther Italian duchies of Milan and Mantua and the Venetian Republic which were absorbed by the Kingdom of Napoleon in 1805.  After Napoleon's fall they were awarded to Austria and incorporated in the Hapsburg monarchy as the Kingdom of Lombardy-Venetia.  The Lombard campaign of 1859 restored rule under the Kingdom of Italy for Lombard in 1859 and Venetia in 1866.

KurtS

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 11:32:18 AM »

Thanks EK for the historical info!  Grin
Wow...a mintage of 22,275Shocked That's one of my scarcer coins--great!
ElleKitty
Mewmismatist
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (24)
Knight Argent

There's an awful lot of coins out there still.

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 11:34:37 AM »

I knew you'd like that.  That's what the book said, though.  I wish for your sake it had been one of the other two mint marks (That I mentioned on the other place), they have a mintage of less than 10,000 each.

But it makes sense if you think about it.  This place can't have been very large, and probably didn't need a whole lot of coins minted for it's population.

KurtS

Email
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 11:48:04 AM »

...the other two mint marks (That I mentioned on the other place), they have a mintage of less than 10,000 each.
This place can't have been very large, and probably didn't need a whole lot of coins minted for it's population.

That makes sense since Lombardy joined Italy in 1859, but the capital of Veneto is Venice, which was fairly populous at the time. So I might guess these coins never saw widespread use  Huh  Whatever the reason, there's a very interesting history behind an intriguing coin--I'll keep my eyes open for a "B" or "V" mint.  For once I find a different 19C. coin!  Grin
Nighthawk
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (12)
Knight Argent

DELTA FORCE

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 05:35:41 PM »

Nice coin Kurt! It's also nice to have a dealer that trusts you to take coins home and research them like that. I have about half a dozen dealer/friends like that, even if I don't have enough money with me at a show for instance, they let me take the stuff home, and they tell me: Just pay me next time you see me! It's awesome to have friends like that, especially when they're coin dealers!  Grin

NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
LOVER OF ART & HISTORY
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971
AdamL
Trade Count: (12)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 11:40:02 PM »

That coin is nice! And its nice that you can bring it home and research it too Smiley

-Adam
Knight Of The Coin Table #103
Speak the truth
KurtS

Email
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 11:55:37 PM »

Glad everyone enjoyed this one. I like the interaction of two cultures and histories on this one.

As an update, Sap was kind enough to clarify that "22.275" means 22 million--and not 22,275.
Ah well--I'm actually relieved it's not such a scarce coin with that damage. 
EK, I guess that answers our question whether these coins saw large-scale use?  Grin
Dumanyu

Email
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 08:28:23 AM »

How dare you all have a conversation about Lombardo-Veneto coins without me!!! Wink
My last name isn't Lombardo for nothing you know. I have a bunch of these types, and I'm sorry to rain on your coin there Kurt. The number 22.275 in the mintage refers to 22,275,000 coins minted. The Krause listed them as such to save space in the book. Admittedly, my 1800 catalog is the third edition so values may have changed a bit, but I wouldn't count on it value in real life being 10 bucks, so don't spend a great deal on it.

As for me I prefer the other types with the crown and the full "Regno Lombardo-Veneto" inscription.

Being it's my last name, I'll pay more for them then most people would. The main thing is, that if you like a coin, can afford whatever the price is, get it.

JMHO,
KurtS

Email
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 08:40:01 AM »

Fred, there's a beautiful 19C. coin! I really like the toning of old copper.
I'm actually very relieved this coin has a large mintage because I would regret such damage on a scarce coin.  Grin
Thanks for sharing that coin!
Dumanyu

Email
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 08:46:10 AM »

Glad to help Kurt. Remind me to regale you about Alboin, King of the Lombards and how he met an untimely end. I posted the story on Numiswicki about a year ago. NASTY!!!
KurtS

Email
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 08:59:24 AM »

Hmm...one of those dark tales from long ago?  Let me guess...was he the king who had molten gold poured down his throat by a Persian ruler--if memory serves correctly?  I don't think I would care to personally be on the gold standard.  Shocked
Dumanyu

Email
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 09:30:11 AM »

Well, if you must know...

If the following traditional account is true, Alboin, King of the Lombards, engineered one of the first great real estate transactions.

With the decline of the Huns following th death of Attila, 453 A.D., the Lombards had moved to ascendency in the area know as Pannonia, centered around modern-day Hungary. Warfare with the Gepidae was constant, and another tribe, the Avars, had begun to migrate into the area from Asia as well.

After succeeding his father on the Lombard throne in 565 A.D., Alboin soon struck an alliance with the Avars and together the crushed the Gepidae. Alboin killed Cunumund, the Gepidae king, and took the king's daughter Rosamund as his unwilling wife.

In April 568 A.D. Alboin fulfilled his bargain with the Avars by launching his Lombard followers on a mass migration southwest into Northern Italy, leaving Pannonia for the Avars. The withered forces of the Roman Empire that remained in Italy, based in Ravenna, were no match for the overwhelming Lombard incursion. Residents of the Italian countryside fled at the Lombards' approach. Some retreated to the barrier islands along the shore of the Northern Adriatic Sea, where they became part of the nascent Venice.

By September of the following year, Milan, Pavia (which Alboin chose as his new capital) and the other large cities of Northern Italy had fallen. The Lombard kingdom in Italy had been firmly established, and was to last more than 200 years, until falling to Charlemagne's Frankish forces in 774 A.D.

Alboin himself, however, soon fell to an old grudge: he was murdered in 573 A.D., apparently at the instigation of his wife Rosamund, who never accepted her husband's habit of drinking from her father's skull, and apparently forcing her to do the same.

Gotta love us Lombardo's.
We are an entertaining lot.
Pages:  [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: