KOTCT Members Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:11:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Starting Penny Collection  (Read 770 times)
Coin Boy
Trade Count: (0)

Email
« on: June 01, 2009, 11:55:03 AM »

For a gift I received a Lincoln Penny book, 1975-2009.

A couple days later I started filling the book.  Out of thousands of pennies I took several handfuls and laid them down next to my book.  I started placing them in.  The first four holes were rather challenging in that I had to force the pennies into place.  But then I started a new technique that involved picking up the book and then placed the penny in with my thumb.

After a while it became easy to put them in.  The first day I managed to put in 34 pennies.  The second day (tonight) I ended up with 50 in the book.

I am only having trouble with one year of pennies and that's 1982, due to all the different metals.  I don't understand how to tell the difference.

Cheesy Cheesy
triggersmob
Trade Count: (30)
Knight Argent

Western Australian State Flag

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 03:49:19 PM »

Coin Boy, have fun with those Lincolns, I know I did.

The early ones (copper) weigh 3.11 grams and the later ones (copper-plated zinc) weigh 2.5 grams.
Do you access to a set of scales to weigh them?
If not you can make a crude one by balancing a ruler across a pencil, making sure that it is central.
Put an early coin (before 1982) on one end and you 1982 on the other (make sure they are the same distance from the end)
if they remained balance then you have a 3.11 gram coin, if the early coin goes down and the other coin goes up, then you have a 2.5 gram coin.
It's a bit rough, but it works. To help eliminate errors, use coins with equal amount of wear.

Steve
AdamL
Trade Count: (12)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 11:44:58 PM »

Filling the holes in those books is alot of fun, isn't it. And they look good when you get done too.

-Adam
Knight Of The Coin Table #103
Speak the truth
Nighthawk
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (12)
Knight Argent

DELTA FORCE

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 04:54:42 AM »

Coin Boy, have grandpa take you to the bank and purchase a few rolls of pennies there. I've found lots of old pennies searching thru rolls. I've found lots of wheat pennies, an 1858 Flying Eagle cent, steel pennies, a 1924-D with a rotated reverse, and lots of small foreign coins too! Try your luck- go to the bank!  Smiley

NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
LOVER OF ART & HISTORY
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971
Goose
Trade Count: (6)
Knight Argent

ncscpcamvs@yahoo.com Goose
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 11:11:44 AM »

And speaking of coin roll hunting (CRH), I went to a bank today and picked up 3 rolls of halves. They were ALL UNC 2000-P halves....22.6 million minted. Now I see that the 21.1 million of the 2001-P halves weren't released yet.  Something tells me the the mint has a vast amount of extra coins in their vaults.
ndgoflo
Trade Count: (0)

Email
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 07:43:24 PM »

If you don't have a scale, the simplest way to determine the difference in the '82's is to give 'em a flip. If it rings it is copper, if it doesn't ring it is zinc (assuming you are searching circulated coins). As for the date size, I find the "2" is the easiest diagnostic. If the middle of the 2 angles straight to the base (to look like a 45 degree angle) of the 2 it is a large date, if it curves down to the base (perpendicular, more of a right angle) it is a small date if that makes any sense. There is also a noticable difference in the thicknes of the numbers in the date, thick=large thin=small.
templar
KNIGHT #125--YOUR SERVANT AND FRIEND--ALWAYS
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (30)
Knight Argent

NUMISMATIST--MASTER OF TRIVIA--HISTORIAN--A.A.N.G.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 11:17:45 PM »

COIN BOY--TRY TO PUT THE COIN IN THE HOLE AND PLACE A THIN PIECE OF CARDBOARD OVER IT AND TAP THE TOP OF THE CARDBOARD UNTIL THE COIN FITS--THE CARDBOARD WILL PROTECT THE COIN FROM SCRATHES--ALSO USE GLOVES OR A HANDKERCHEF TO KEEP YOUR BODY OILS OFF THE COINS---EMAIL ME WITH A LIST OF PENNIES YOU NEED AND I WILL CHECK MY VAULTS AND SEE IF I CAN HELP YOU!
                                    YOUR SERVANT--THE TEMPLAR!

DRUID
HUMORIST
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN
BARD
TIME WAS INVENTED SO EVERYTHING WOULD NOT HAPPEN AT ONCE!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: