KOTCT Members Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:40:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages:  [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Where are the 2009 Lincoln Cents?  (Read 2109 times)
AdamL
Trade Count: (12)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« on: March 14, 2009, 05:45:20 AM »

I hear that the mint is now selling rolls of them for like 8 or 9 dollars  Shocked Shocked Shocked
And they're going for some outrageous prices on ebay.
The banks say they have so many old cents that they don't need to order any of the new ones. I've only heard of them being at banks in a couple of places, none of which were near me. I feel like I need these 4 new designs this year for my collection. But I don't think I can bring myself to pay $9.00 plus shipping for a roll of 50 cents.

-Adam
Knight Of The Coin Table #103
Speak the truth
CoinCrusader42
Knight Excalibur
Trade Count: (13)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 12:52:36 PM »

Adam,

The idea of a KOTCT store was discussed in another thread, and that may be a good way for many of us to get U.S. Mint items.

Here in my town we have four banks and one credit union.  None have the new pennies.

However, I'll keep chacking.

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

KOTCT No. 2
ANA:  42203
Collector since 1956
templar
KNIGHT #125--YOUR SERVANT AND FRIEND--ALWAYS
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (30)
Knight Argent

NUMISMATIST--MASTER OF TRIVIA--HISTORIAN--A.A.N.G.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 10:59:42 PM »

THE MINT HAS SCREWED UP AGAIN---MOST BANKS ARE NOT ORDERING ANY BECAUSE THEY HAVE SO MANY OLDER COINS ON HAND--THIS MORNING MY BANK TOLD ME THEY WERE NOT ORDERING ANY NEW PENNIES--PRESIDENTIAL DOLLARS--HALVES-OR QUARTERS BECAUSE OF THE BACKLOG OF COINS ALREADY IN STOCK AND A LACK OF ROOM---YOUR SERVANT-THE TEMPLAR!

DRUID
HUMORIST
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN
BARD
TIME WAS INVENTED SO EVERYTHING WOULD NOT HAPPEN AT ONCE!
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Trade Count: (1)
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 12:20:36 AM »

My banks have said the Fed isn't even shipping them into the Chicago district at all.

Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (10)
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 03:17:41 AM »

AdamL surely you jest? Why would one hesitate to spend $9 plus shipping (another $5) for an OUTSTANDING bargain of NOT one but TWO rolls of new 2009 Lincoln Cents! Take that times 4 (four designs this year) and you will have only $56 in 4 designs or 8 rolls of pennies. We are talking 400 pennies (cents) with a modern day value of $4.00! NOW you understand why I brought up the idea of a KOTCT store don't you? We have the funds on hand to try it but I must be sure EVERYONE understands we will SELL for a PROFIT to benefit the KOTCT treasury. These charges MUST cover bubble mailers and there will be nominal shipping charges. Perhaps all Aussie shipments could go in the same package? The important thing, at least in my humble mind, is the fact we could provide a service which might make us a few bucks over the course of a year and still beat the holy daylights out of the Ebay game. I will come to a decision in the next few days and go from there. If I can't seem to make up my mind I might just order the Lincoln Cents and the Sacagawea Dollars and see how we do before committing to such an endeavor. That might be best.

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)
Nevol
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (19)
Knight Argent

Queensland State Flag

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 04:56:51 AM »

If I can't seem to make up my mind I might just order the Lincoln Cents and the Sacagawea Dollars and see how we do before committing to such an endeavor. That might be best.

Make it a trial run, & if it works out, ie: you make a profit & don't get stuck with a heap of coins no one else wants, it might very well be an excellent fundraising scheme.  Wink

KOTCT #46
Nancy

Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved.
Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 05:59:17 AM »

Well the U.S. Mint is now showing the 2009 two roll set of Lincoln Cents SOLD OUT? How odd is that with the mint making about $10,000 worth of pennies a day and they are sold out? Perhaps they just set aside X-amount for the low low price of $8.95 for the two rolls (100 cents worth a buck). Perhaps they made enough to pay for the entire mintage of cents this quarter and they did not want to appear greedy? Guess its back to Ebay or patiently wait for some to show up at local banks. Darn the luck! Cry

Terry
Knight #1

Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 05:39:26 AM »

You know its a pretty sad state of affairs when a coin collector can't afford a new penny (cent)? Seems there are a ton of fools out there who can as they are bringing in big bucks on Ebay STILL!!! And, in the end, they won't be worth squat!!! If you need a good laugh get on Ebay and see what the 2009 rolls of Lincolns are still bringing. What are people thinking?

Terry
Knight #1

CoinCrusader42
Knight Excalibur
Trade Count: (13)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 05:42:25 AM »

Those who are buying the cents on eBay, are like the Government, in that they have discovered numerous "cash cows," ready to be milked.

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

KOTCT No. 2
ANA:  42203
Collector since 1956
Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 07:59:00 AM »

It now appears the 2009 Lincoln "Birthplace" cents are gone and all that will be released into circulation have been put into the system. Some areas, such as Indiana, apparently will not be getting the pennies at all. Don't know how many areas are getting screwed but I am sure the Mint is gearing up for the second coin in the series due for release in May. My guess at this time is the same thing is happening now that took place with the first releases of the statehood quarters. Bankers are selling them out the back door for a profit, claiming they did not get any. The secondary market, in general, will pay a premium for new coins straight off the armored car that a bank WILL NOT pay. The banks don't care whether their change is new, what date or mint mark, as long as they get the coins they ordered to transact normal business. The armored car services have found other profitable "drops" for all those newly released coins. And, you can't blame them as they are in business just like everyone else. The sad part is WE are not one of those drops!

Terry
Knight #1

Nighthawk
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

DELTA FORCE

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 08:35:49 AM »

Back on March 1st, at a coin show, there was a dealer who had 1 roll of the new Lincoln cents, and he was selling them for $1 ea. And he sold them ALL!!! Last Sunday, a dealer at another show had 2 or 3 rolls, and was selling them for $10 per roll. Don't know if he sold any or not. My wife and I each got a 2009-D cent from a dealer at the coin club last Tuesday night for free! He gave each club member 1 coin as a gift. He said he got the roll from someone in Kansas, as he could not find any here in Michigan.  Smiley

NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
LOVER OF ART & HISTORY
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971
templar
KNIGHT #125--YOUR SERVANT AND FRIEND--ALWAYS
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (30)
Knight Argent

NUMISMATIST--MASTER OF TRIVIA--HISTORIAN--A.A.N.G.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 08:18:13 PM »

HOW ODD IT IS THAT A 1909 PENNY WOULD BE CHEAPER THAN A 2009 PENNY---MAKES YOU WANT TO SHOT YOURSELF IN THE HEAD---OOPS--SORRY ABOUT THAT ABE!  YOUR SERVANT--THE PENNILESS TEMPLAR!

DRUID
HUMORIST
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN
BARD
TIME WAS INVENTED SO EVERYTHING WOULD NOT HAPPEN AT ONCE!
Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 03:40:14 AM »

Templar the KOTCT Store will add some P and D Lincoln sets (2009 Birthplace) in the next few days. Of course we have to cover shipping but I intend to do it as cheaply as possible. At least it will be cheaper than Ebay and an opportunity to grab a set from a reputable source!!! Grin

Terry
Knight #1

AdamL
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 04:20:21 AM »

Templar the KOTCT Store will add some P and D Lincoln sets (2009 Birthplace) in the next few days. Of course we have to cover shipping but I intend to do it as cheaply as possible. At least it will be cheaper than Ebay and an opportunity to grab a set from a reputable source!!! Grin

Yes. The D minted cents should be in Terry's hands by Wednesday.

-Adam
Knight Of The Coin Table #103
Speak the truth
Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 07:46:13 AM »

The P's are already here as I purchased them from a Animal Rescue Shelter in Missouri that gets NO funding from the city or county. They got a little help from a Hoosier and I got a few P cents for our store. We are looking at 10 sets going in the store in a few days.

Terry
Knight #1

Pages:  [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: