KOTCT Members Forum
May 16, 2024, 02:38:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages:  [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 2008 American Bald Eagle commemorative program.  (Read 2572 times)
ElleKitty
Mewmismatist
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (24)
Knight Argent

There's an awful lot of coins out there still.

View Profile Email
« on: December 13, 2007, 03:24:33 AM »

United States Mint Unveils Designs for 2008 American Bald Eagle Recovery and National Emblem Commemorative Coins
Designs Honor Preservation of the Nation’s Emblem of Freedom and Democracy

WASHINGTON - The United States Mint released today the coin designs for the 2008 American Bald Eagle Recovery and National Emblem Commemorative Coin Program.  Public Law 108-486, the American Bald Eagle Recovery and National Emblem Commemorative Coin Act, authorizes the United States Mint to mint and issue three commemorative coins in honor of the recovery of the Bald Eagle species, the 35th anniversary of the Endangered Species Act of 1973, and the Bald Eagle's importance as a national symbol.

The United States Mint will mint and issue proof and uncirculated versions of the Bald Eagle Coins in a $5 gold coin, a $1 silver coin, and a half-dollar clad coin.  The obverse of the $5 gold coin was designed by Artistic Infusion Program (AIP) Master Designer Susan Gamble and sculpted by United States Mint Medallic Sculptor Phebe Hemphill.  The design depicts young eaglets perched on a branch in their natural habitat.  The coin's reverse, sculpted by United States Mint Sculptor-Engraver Don Everhart, depicts an image of the current Great Seal of the United States as engraved in 1903.

The obverse of the $1 silver coin, designed by AIP Master Designer Joel Iskowitz and sculpted by United States Mint Sculptor-Engraver Don Everhart, depicts a mature eagle soaring majestically through the sky.  The coin's reverse, sculpted by United States Mint Medallic Sculptor Jim Licaretz, is based on a replica of the first Great Seal of the United States used between 1782 and 1841.

The obverse of the half-dollar clad coin, designed by Susan Gamble and executed by United States Mint Medallic Sculptor Joseph Menna, depicts baby eaglets at about two to three days old, settled in a nest with an unhatched egg.  AIP Associate Designer Donna Weaver designed the coin's obverse, which features the legendary Bald Eagle "Challenger" with the American flag in the background.  The design was executed by United States Mint Sculptor-Engraver Charles Vickers.

Mintage across each product option is limited to 100,000 for the $5 gold coin, 500,000 for the $1 silver coin and 750,000 for the clad half-dollar.  Surcharges collected from 2008 American Bald Eagle Commemorative Coin Program sales, expected to begin on January 15, 2008, are authorized to be paid to the American Eagle Foundation of Tennessee to continue its works.   

The Bald Eagle, unique to North America, was designated America's national emblem by the Founding Fathers on June 20, 1782, at the Second Continental Congress.  Once threatened with possible extinction in the lower 48 states, the Bald Eagle was classified as an endangered species under the Endangered Species Act of 1973.  Because of the success of numerous concerted recovery efforts, the Bald Eagle was removed from the Endangered Species List in 2007.

http://www.usmint.gov/pressroom/index.cfm?action=photo#2008BaldEagle

dustin43160
Trade Count: (0)

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 04:39:52 AM »

i like the back of the first and last one and the front of the 2nd one Tongue but they are nice!!
humpybong
Master Collector
Trade Count: (20)
Knight Argent

bm.1947
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 05:33:20 AM »

WOW! Now they look like being great looking coins when they come out.

May have to ge me some One Dollar coins to go into my One Dollar Colletion.

Thanks for the information Kitty.  (now I gotta save more $$$$)

Barry
Global Moderator
Knight of the Coin Table #47

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"
Tobyle
Trade Count: (9)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 05:47:39 AM »

Mmmmm ..... nice. Particularly like the one dollar!
CoinCrusader42
Knight Excalibur
Trade Count: (13)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 06:18:02 AM »

Nice, and should be affordable.  At least the half dollar and dollar coin.

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

KOTCT No. 2
ANA:  42203
Collector since 1956
henselen
Trade Count: (1)
Knight

jayhenselen@q.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 08:40:36 AM »

must have the gold before the others.  jay Roll Eyes

jay of Reales
S.George
Knight Argent

vicgeonath@yahoo.co.in
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 07:06:05 PM »

Cheesy

Dear Kitty:

Nice design of the eagles.   No.1 and 2 have the reverse that we have seen, already.   So, I like the 3rd one.

Hope to get a $ coin.
George/India

It is by giving others, we actually receive from G
Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (10)
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 07:07:59 PM »

I actually prefer the 50 cent piece and its design and its a shame it won't be in silver? I will give the $1 coin my second vote for design. None the less I will have to get my paws on a few. Look like great trading material to me!

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)
Tobyle
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 08:46:59 PM »

What would be the average issue price for a silver $1 of those specifications in the US?
Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 12:27:04 AM »

U.S. unc. and proof commemorative dollars usually run in the $35 range, give or take a buck or two, but with silver being in the $14 range now it will be interesting to see what the mint does charge.  I would hope the clad halves will be much more affordable in the $12 range but wouldn't venture a guess and there will be a difference between the proofs and uncs. prices.  Should know something soon as Jan. 15 is NOT that far off!

Terry
Knight #1

Tobyle
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 05:12:07 AM »

Thanks for that info, Twoshadows. A definite addition to my 'Gotta get' list!
humpybong
Master Collector
Trade Count: (20)
Knight Argent

bm.1947
View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 05:41:41 AM »

Me 2.....have just added it to my want list......with the other hundreds of wants

Barry
Global Moderator
Knight of the Coin Table #47

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"
ElleKitty
Mewmismatist
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

There's an awful lot of coins out there still.

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 10:58:54 PM »

Dan, I think they're supposed to be fledgling eagles. Not quite full grown, but not chicks either, which probably accounts for the over-stuffed-ness.   Not to excuse the artist, mind. Wink

Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 07:24:15 PM »

Oh! I thought the first one was Buzzards but I have noticed the head is not right!!! Grin Old Dan you must remember those CITY folks at the mint don't get out much, at least OUT of town, and most of them probably think WILD LIFE is a party on Friday or Saturday night? Thats the best excuse I can think of?

Terry
Knight #1

Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2007, 05:08:08 AM »

Still counting down the days until these halves will be released! Just hope they are close enough to the artist rendering when struck as many times the design gets lost in the actual minting process. If the relief is not good it will alter the appearance drastically. I am hoping the Mint can pull this one off as this is one of the most unique half dollars I have seen them produce in my lifetime.

Terry
Knight #1

Pages:  [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: