KOTCT Members Forum
May 16, 2024, 02:41:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Wide AM question.  (Read 557 times)
EgCollector
Trade Count: (14)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« on: March 03, 2009, 05:08:47 AM »

I know that wide AM means that there is a space between the A letter and The M letter. And Close AM means that there is no space or that the two letters are touching each other at the base.

The problem is that this is all i know, so please educate me  Embarrassed

Is this info correct?
Does this apply to all Lincoln, wheets only or LMC only?
Does this apply to certain dates? or to all dates?
How does this affect the value of the coin?

Or simply post a reply with a link that answers these questions?   Grin

Thanks

Amr Smiley Smiley Smiley

Knight #107
Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (10)
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 07:15:28 AM »

EgCollector I will try to explain the situation to you. There is a huge difference between proof and business strike coins. PROOF coins are as perfect in every way with all letters evenly spaced and proportionately shaped. It seems, if I remember correctly, the U.S. Mint accidently used PROOF reverse dies, that should have gone to San Francisco mint facilities, in Philadelphia Mint circulating cent production. Wide AM reverses from proof dies have been found on circulating cents in 1996, 1998, 1999 and 2000.  Proof coins also have been found with the closed AM (circulating business strike dies) in 1998 and 1999. So to some collectors these coins are errors with a premium added to their value. Some, especially the 98 and 99, are far more scarce so the value has increased tremendously for a modern day small cent.
Some of the areas most noticeable would be the AM but also the shape of the S in States as they are, on a proof coin, very well designed and equal at top and bottm. Also the designers initials at the right of the Lincoln Memorial are full letters, well defined, while the business strike coins have a less than perfect G in the designer initials.
Hope this helps you understand the difference? I will have to do a little digging as I know I have the 1998 and the 2000 cents with wide AM around here some where as I found quite a few in 2000.

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)
EgCollector
Trade Count: (14)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 02:16:10 PM »

Thank you very much Terry for the great info.  Smiley

Amr Smiley Smiley Smiley

Knight #107
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: