KOTCT Members Forum
May 17, 2024, 04:53:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages:  1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Australian Florin  (Read 1649 times)
Dumanyu
Trade Count: (0)

Email
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2007, 11:58:05 AM »

Terry,
    I understand 100%. I was just fantasizing about a perfect world. I certainly meant no offense to anyone, and I'd like to think that this hobby of ours can be a unifying factor, without the geopolitical junk.

As to your question, I imagine there was great resistance at first, much like the U.S. and the metric system. Although in the coin instance, common sense prevailed in the end.
Yass
Trade Count: (0)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2007, 02:00:51 PM »

I was 11 at the time.  I don't believe there was that much resistance to the change, although there was a little confusion e.g. 6 pennies equalled 5 cents.  I recall I was working a 'paper boy' selling the evening paper at the local hotel.  Gee, that must have been about the 6 o'clock closing time and when the ladies were relegated to the 'ladies lounge'.  Not ladieas at the bar please  Smiley

The paper was 4 cents, I think, because I was happy to receive a 6 pence, or 5 cent piece.  The only problems I cam across were:
  • One fellow had a handfull of 1 cent pieces, he didn't think much of thethem and asked me if I wanted the. He threw them all on the ground.  I picked them up. No problem for me. I think I made a bob out of it (1 shilling, 10 cents)
  • The other was a windfall. The cigarette machine didn't like the new 20 cent pieces for some reason.  We always pressed the reject button on the way past. Every now and again it would spit out 40 cents. I remember a drunk demanding that I hand over my loot after a few successful raids.  The barmaid sorted him out quick smart.
The change over was also very well advertised. I can still remember the jingle, "Out go the pence and in comes the cents, on the 14th of February 1966.  As in most cases of change, it is the old that have the most problems.

I've learned that I don't suffer from insa
gregk
Trade Count: (4)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2007, 04:36:42 PM »

I did reply to this, but the post vanished.  This Florin represents the first visit to Australian by Elizabeth II as Queen, hence the Roo and the British Lion.

With regards to the change, it is much easier to use Dollars and cents then pounds shillings and pence.  I think it was Nevol who posted a great video, on the aacoincommunity site, that told the story on the why and wherefore for the change.

Rusty:  nice coins!! 
CoinCrusader42
Knight Excalibur
Trade Count: (13)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2007, 02:01:50 PM »

I agree with Greg.

I would think the decimal system would have been looked at as much simpler, and therefore little protest.

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

KOTCT No. 2
ANA:  42203
Collector since 1956
Pages:  1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: