KOTCT Members Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:07:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages:  [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Your Opinion Would Be Appreciated  (Read 2066 times)
CoinCrusader42
Knight Excalibur
Trade Count: (13)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« on: October 23, 2007, 04:23:43 PM »

I have a feeling that I already asked this question once.

If so, please forgive me as I ask it a second time.

I am getting very near completion of my Australian 50 Cent Piece collection.  It is housed in a Dansco Album, and I feel it looks very attractive.

Here's the problem.

Gregk recently mailed me about a dozen of the 2006 Commonwealth Games 50 Cent Pieces.  They are packaged in cards, presumably by the Royal Australian Mint.

My problem is, do I remove them and put them in the Dansco Album, or should I just be satisfied that I own them, and leave them in the cards?

What would you do?

Thanks.

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

KOTCT No. 2
ANA:  42203
Collector since 1956
ElleKitty
Mewmismatist
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (24)
Knight Argent

There's an awful lot of coins out there still.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 05:15:27 PM »

Well, to answer your question, I have to ask a question.  Do you care if the value of your coins appreciates or depreciates?  If that matters at all, then leave them in the cards and plastic holders. If you don't really care at all, then take them out!  They'd probably look better all together in the set, but NCLT coins aren't necessarily meant to be exposed.

Sap
Trade Count: (0)
Knight Argent

The Numismatichemist

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 05:27:00 PM »

Ah, the perennial question, "Do I keep mint-packed (or TPG-slabbed) coins intact in their packaging, or bust them out and store them how I please?"

The  issues here are:
Keep 'em in:
 - The mint packaging is nice and airtight, and will probably preserve the coins better than an album.
 - Resale value will probably be better if kept in their original packaging.
 - The storage issue could be overcome with the help of album pages designed for credit cards or business cards, inserted into the album (if it's a ring binder or other type of album you can insert pages into).
 - That hard, credit-card-like plastic packaging the mint sells these coins in looks darned difficult to crack open without damaging the coin. Not that I've ever tried.

Crack 'em out:
 - The aesthetic value of having a "complete collection", nice and neat in it's own album, organised the way you want it.
 - Ask yourself, "Do I collect coins, or plastic packaging?". From that perspective, mint wrappers are very much secondary collectables.
 - Ultimately, the coins will probably outlast whatever packaging they're kept in, so you might as well store them in a way that has meaning for you, their current custodian.

Weigh up both sides of the "debate", and go with whatever option best fits the needs of what you're trying to do with your collection.

KoCT #21

The early bird gets the worm, sure, but
Muckeye
Trade Count: (4)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 06:17:03 PM »

G'day,
re Sap's post.
That 'hard credit-card-like plastic is easy to open.
I opened a full set for my album.
regards,

Muckeye. Knight #52.
"We swear by the Souther
buda
Trade Count: (2)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 06:38:36 PM »

i'am opening mine as i get them to put into a album.
but also on this note i'am trying to collect 2 of each. Grin

Wife thinks i love coins more than her
I think it&
triggersmob
Trade Count: (30)
Knight Argent

Western Australian State Flag

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 06:45:52 PM »

Gary, you just re-emphasised, why I don't use albums.

Personally, If I did use albums I  would crack those suckers out and put them in the album.
I doubt that you will ever sell them, so don't worry about the value.
You just enjoy them for NOW, let someone else worry about them LATER.

Steve
Madspec
Trade Count: (3)
Knight

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 06:49:35 PM »

I would leave them in their cards and make an album of the NCLT coins, (such as 2x2 pages) and keep it with the regular album.  That way you would have the best of both.

madspec

SIR MADSPEC  KNIGHT #57
TO SERVE WITH Honor,Respect,and Loyalty
Brissyboy
Trade Count: (2)
Knight

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 08:28:39 PM »

The plastic capsules just pop out of the card. If you look at the capsule you will see how they open. You can then remove the coins and replace the capsules back into the cards and store them away in case you want them at a later date for the coins.

Have fun with your collection.

Wayne - Knight #69
CoinCrusader42
Knight Excalibur
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 12:02:28 PM »

Thanks Guys!!

Your advice was great.

I'm tending toward putting them all in my album, but will give it a little more thought first.

Again, thank you,

KOTCT No. 2
Collector since 1956
Rusty
Knight

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 03:49:27 PM »

Thanks Guys!!

Your advice was great.

I'm tending toward putting them all in my album, but will give it a little more thought first.

Again, thank you,

CC,
I have 2 sets of the Games coins, one that I opened and put in my album as you can see in another thread, and 1 I am keeping intact. There are 16 of these coins, btw. Your choice I suppose is the ultimate solution.  Cool  Cheers.
Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (10)
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 04:51:51 PM »

Gary I have received numerous $1 commemorative coins with the various mint marks from a collector in Australia. I have found those small cards they arrived in carries a ton of information and history which I was not familiar with. Leaving them in the cards provides me the opportunity to remember why they were actually struck and what they were commemorating at the time for years to come. And, none of the coins have toned since I started receiving them and, quite honestly, I am afraid they will in an album.
Actually each of us face this dilemma with every coin we purchase------How to store and or display this coin and at the same time PROTECT it! It is a never ending battle we all fight every time we bring home an addition to our collection and the ulitimate answer to this problem lies with you! Good luck!

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)
CoinCrusader42
Knight Excalibur
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 05:11:58 PM »

You are correct Terry.  It's hard to know which way to go.

I have some coins received from Triggersmob several months ago, and have not been able to take them out of their holders.

I still tend to think I'll take the Games coins from Gregk out of their holders and put them in my Dansco Album.

I'll take the "World Series Period" to think about it, and then make a decision when baseball once again takes a back seat to coin collecting.

KOTCT No. 2
Collector since 1956
Hermit
Knight

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 07:18:02 PM »

I'm afraid I have the same problem. I bought some mint sets to make up the gaps in my collection but now I can't bring myself to break them out.

Kevin.
scoutjim99

Email
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 05:49:46 AM »

For the Aussie coins that I have in the mint packaging i use 2 different types oh Plastic sheets to house and display them.     For the larger ones(Gallipoli)and M2006 M mintmark commonwealth games) or (50 years of Australian Television) for example.       I use the 4 note currency page.   And for the smaller ones (2006 her Majesties Royal Visit), (2006 80th Birthday 50 cent coin) I use baseball card sheets which hold them nicely and allow me to hold 9 in one page.
CoinCrusader42
Knight Excalibur
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2007, 07:18:58 AM »

Jim,

The way you display your coins are great, and they give me ideas for displaying my duplicates.

However, my problem continues to be my desire to complete my Dansco Albums, and I can't do that withour taking coins out of their cards, and breaking open mint sets.

KOTCT No. 2
Collector since 1956
Pages:  [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: