KOTCT Members Forum
May 12, 2024, 06:50:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Polarcoins from Danmark  (Read 449 times)
karo68
Trade Count: (0)

Email
« on: February 20, 2009, 07:20:45 PM »

The Polar coin series will comprise three coins and is launched to mark the International Polar Year 2007-2009. All polar coins will have motifs inspired by the Polar areas of Greenland.

The motif of the first coin is a polar bear. The polar bear is chosen because of its great importance to the Greenland culture. The motif is designed by the Greenland artist Niels Motzfeldt.

The first polar coin was issued on 26 March 2007.

The motif of the second coin is designed by the sculptor Margrete Sørensen, who has been inspired by Greenland, the Sirius Sledge Patrol and the 'Canis Major' constellation with Sirius as its brightest star.
His Royal Highness Crown Prince Frederik, who is the Danish patron of the International Polar Year, visited 28 January The Royal Mint and struck gold coin No 1.

The second coin was issued on 26 February 2008.

The motif of the second coin is designed by the sculptor Morten Stræde. Like the previous Polar coins, the theme is conditions in Greenland, this time the Northern Lights and scientific research.
The modelling of the three fields of the coin differs. The Northern Lights are open with a light touch, the minerals are shown in their basic crystalline forms, and the landscape in the middle is modelled so as to resemble a direct experience of a Polar landscape – the surface of the water, the curve of the sky and the sharp structural diversity of the mountains and the ice.

The final coin will be issued 23 February 2009.

The Polar coins is minted in three versions: gold 1000 Kroner, fine silver 100 Kroner and aluminium bronze 10 Kroner.

(Source by The Royal Mint Danmark)

I think once in a successful series Smiley
triggersmob
Trade Count: (30)
Knight Argent

Western Australian State Flag

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 07:37:07 PM »

I just receivd my Stamp Bulletin from Australia Post. It seems more than 30 countries will be issuing Polar stamps as well.
Not that this will interest most of you, but I just thought I would mention it.

Steve
EgCollector
Trade Count: (14)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 02:53:56 AM »

Interesting, Thanks for the info  Smiley

Amr Smiley Smiley Smiley

Knight #107
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: