KOTCT Members Forum
May 11, 2024, 02:36:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages:  1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 10th Anniversary of the Euro  (Read 3408 times)
Paint Your Wagon
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (1)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 07:49:09 PM »

She (Europa) can stay at my house until I get my hole dug!!! Then she can hide with me!!!

There is enough of them to go around
I will take the Spanish one

* Europa-and-bull-L.jpg (373.35 KB, 550x550 - viewed 153 times.)

Where I am going I ain't certain
Where I am going I don't know
All I know is that I'am on my way
Paint Your Wagon
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 08:01:05 PM »

I will leave the French rendition for whomever wants her ( figuratively speaking  Tongue )

* 20 Euro 2003-Europa-K.jpg (352.63 KB, 500x500 - viewed 142 times.)

Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (10)
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 09:12:50 PM »

Yes I see your point. I have a few silver Europa coins in my collection that I consider "keepers" for their interesting art (beauty). The French tend to act if they MUST be different and lean to the modern side of the art form which I have noticed since the intro of the Euro in 2002. Seems they have this need to be different? The Vatican City coins was surprising as Europa is definitely modeled very well on that coin so I understand the smile of the Pope's face on the other side!!! Grin

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)
Paint Your Wagon
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2008, 12:47:09 AM »

Well Monnaie de Paris churns out like 70 designs per year
So they must have a permanent design team instead of may the best one win type of contest approach they took in 1780
I stopped my French collection like in 2003 . Now they are in square coins and smaller coins .
Unfortunately the Austrians are churning out even worse Art Nouveau for lack of a better name and in much larger amounts too
It all looks like a modern twist to Jugendstill .

I have no Vatican coin whatsoever allthough like 10% of all coins on offer today on ebay germany seam vatican coins .

Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 04:35:23 AM »

I quit buying from the Vatican when they decided to get into the profits, just like the secondary market players. Proof sets went from around $48.00 to $125.00 which I found excessive and nothing short of gouging and that is by religious leaders? The U.S. does just the opposite. They attempt to control our secondary market by mass producing EVERYTHING. For the most part it works and that is why so many U.S. collectors are NOW world wide collectors.

Terry
Knight #1

Nighthawk
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (12)
Knight Argent

DELTA FORCE

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2008, 10:07:32 AM »

That's me, Terry. I've gotten away from collecting U.S. stuff, and collect more world coins than ever before! I just got sick and tired of the JUNK put out by the U.S. Mint. Sorry if I offended anyone! Smiley

NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
LOVER OF ART & HISTORY
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971
CoinCrusader42
Knight Excalibur
Trade Count: (13)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2008, 10:34:13 AM »

It's a 360 degree turnaround.

When I first started collecting coins there was NOTHING other than circulating coinage.

Then, the Government discovered the citizens could be cash cows, and now it's the other extreme.

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

KOTCT No. 2
ANA:  42203
Collector since 1956
Goose
Trade Count: (6)
Knight Argent

ncscpcamvs@yahoo.com Goose
View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2008, 11:49:41 AM »

And one wonders why I haven't ordered anything from the U S mint since 1964. To me (Thanks to KOTCT), there is more value in old foreign silver coins (+ a few nice copper/bronze coins) than the vast quantities of garbage that the U S mint puts out every yr.
Paint Your Wagon
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2008, 08:07:10 PM »

I quit buying from the Vatican when they decided to get into the profits, just like the secondary market players. Proof sets went from around $48.00 to $125.00 which I found excessive and nothing short of gouging and that is by religious leaders? The U.S. does just the opposite. They attempt to control our secondary market by mass producing EVERYTHING. For the most part it works and that is why so many U.S. collectors are NOW world wide collectors.

The vatican has/had a bank Ambrosio or something like that
They were the first umpteen years back to be into defrauding
They have been burning eretics for fun and at a time there were two popes one in Avignon
They helped every living highranked nazi to escapt to South America by a boat arranged for by the pope
The present pope has been in the Hitler jugend
It is not my fault I was born roman catholic but I recognise a punter when I see one

Paint Your Wagon
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2008, 08:11:09 PM »

And one wonders why I haven't ordered anything from the U S mint since 1964. To me (Thanks to KOTCT), there is more value in old foreign silver coins (+ a few nice copper/bronze coins) than the vast quantities of garbage that the U S mint puts out every yr.

Some of the new coins from Monnaie de Paris like the one about Lourdes go for more then 400 year old coins
Go and figure who is creaziest . The mint laughing and pocketting the money or the silly collector buying this shit.
I learned my lesson in 1968 in postage stamps I still have and which are only good to stick on envenlopes ( they never expire )

Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2008, 11:52:22 PM »

It took me years but I finally USED up my stamp collection as postage. I have a few remaining, mostly space stamps, and those items that did not sell on Ebay. Have a stamped envelope with, if I remember correctly, 22 million miles on it. The envelope flew on the Challenger and as we all know that can't be done again. Quite a colorful folder, along with information and 3 postmarks. They couldn't land when and where they were supposed to so on to the desert they went. Take off postmark, failed landing postmark and actual landing postmark. And of course a photo of the crew. There is a letter stating how the US postal service teamed up with NASA to bring us this rare and unusal commemorative in a once in a lifetime opportunity. I actually sat down and figured up how many millions of dollars they made (from stamp collectors) for putting that small box of envelopes on board that flight. If I remember correctly it was over 13 million. Sure was nice of them to provide the space for that box full of envelopes on the Challenger to benefit us stamp collectors. The government is sooooooo good to us!

For what it is worth I am going to offer the two Vatican coins for sale on this forum at a cheaper rate than I would sell them elsewhere. If your interested check out the "For Sale" posting between now and the 6th as that is when I will put them on Ebay.

Terry
Knight #1

Mortyr2012
Trade Count: (3)
Knight

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2009, 04:10:23 AM »

Ok, back to topic a bit Grin
The German Bundesbank is going to issue these EMU coins on January 5th. I will certainly be there and visit them to get some rolls Smiley

Marvin

In Vielfalt geeint - United in diversity - Unidos
triggersmob
Trade Count: (30)
Knight Argent

Western Australian State Flag

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2009, 06:41:22 AM »

Did someone call??

Steve
Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2009, 10:46:28 AM »

Hey I see Triggersmob is sporting a new 2009 hairdo!!! You Aussies are always on top of things!!!

And KEEPING on topic for this thread! I love the $2 euro and those SILVER commemoratives! And of course the old classics from ALL over the world. There I am on topic (at least I am trying).

Terry
Knight #1

Nighthawk
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (12)
Knight Argent

DELTA FORCE

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2009, 11:02:38 AM »

Did someone call??

SHUCKS! Us American's are way ahead of them Aussies when it comes to hairstyles!  Roll Eyes

* 010208.jpg (10.38 KB, 301x335 - viewed 133 times.)

NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
LOVER OF ART & HISTORY
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971
Pages:  1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: