KOTCT Members Forum
May 17, 2024, 06:32:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Rare 1871 "Shallow N" IHC  (Read 435 times)
KurtS
Trade Count: (0)

Email
« on: October 26, 2008, 12:28:01 PM »

The 1871 "Shallow N" variety represents a recent and important discovery for IHC variety collectors.
In fact, the demand for this coin has grown so hot that this coin now commands 4X-8X the price of a "normal" 1871.
But why should any real collector care about market trends? Firstly, you may get an opportunity to buy a coin that appreciates handsomely--and nobody I know minds that.  Secondly, if you don't really care about IHC varieties, somebody else will--and could pay you a nice premium for your discovery. I've learned to roughly break even on collecting by looking for a few coins I can sell--which helps me enjoy my hobby all that more!  Cheesy

Here are the major diagnostic points of this coin, which can all be determined by carefully examining "ONE CENT" on the reverse. Compare the notes below to the two coins in my photo.
  • a. As "Shallow N" suggests, the N in ONE is noticeably shallower, showing a concavity in the diagonal stroke. In poorer grades, the N may almost wear into the field compared to the surrounding letters. In higher grades, you may see a raised edge on the lower side of the diagonal stroke--visible in the photo
  • b. Compare the top serifs of this N. In the "Shallow N", these serifs are noticeably longer. Also compare the distances between NT in CENT. This variety is easy to spot by just this one feature.
  • c. Compare the extension of the middle serif of the E in both words. In the "Bold N", these serifs are trumpet-shaped, with a smooth curve from end to end. In the "Shallow N", the serif has a noticeably narrow midsection terminating in a sharp angle to the wider part

I just looked on eBay, and found 3 of the "Shallow N" in various grades unattributedShocked So they're still out there--good luck!
Yass
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 01:08:29 PM »

I just looked on eBay, and found 3 of the "Shallow N" in various grades unattributedShocked So they're still out there--good luck!

Just a word to the wise. While they may be unattributed, just be mindful that many of the pictures on ebay are not necessarily the actual coin being sold.

If it is unattributed and you get a 'bold' one, you can't particularly ask for your money back. 

I've learned that I don't suffer from insa
KurtS

Email
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 01:14:37 PM »

If it is unattributed and you get a 'bold' one, you can't particularly ask for your money back.

I'm not recommending anyone buy one off eBay--that was just a sampling; I wouldn't buy one off eBay unless a low price made the risk immaterial.  Grin  However, if the coin does not match the photo you might return on that point, without getting too specific; ensure the seller has a return policy.

Be warned too that a very convincing counterfeit of this coin has been found, so I  wouldn't buy any AU/MS-grade coin that isn't slabbed by a trusted TPG.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: