KOTCT Members Forum
May 17, 2024, 03:23:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages:  [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What US coin to collect?  (Read 1839 times)
EgCollector
Trade Count: (14)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« on: September 05, 2008, 07:14:04 PM »

Hi all,

I am about to finish The 50 state quarter P/D set (7 coins to complete), and the Westward Journey Nickel Series (2 coins to complete). I hope i could finish them by the end of the year.

My question is; What next ?
I was thinking Lincoln cents. I need your opinion please taking in consideration that i live in Egypt and that i am interested to collect every single date and mint.

Would that be possible ?
Am i gonna pay a lot of money ?
If you recommend Lincoln cents, what album should i purchase that has holes for this collection ?

Thanks

Amr Smiley Smiley Smiley

Knight #107
DL20K
Trade Count: (0)

Email
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 11:29:13 PM »

Yeah, I bet you'll have a lot of fun with those Lincolns.
The plus side is that they're available just about everywhere, and you can always trade with US collectors for the newest series.
AdamL
Trade Count: (12)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 01:12:36 AM »

You might spend alot for several of the early wheat cents. But you can do it. I could help you out with quite a few of the more common dates too, because I have some extras. The Lincoln cent is not one of my personal favorites, but thats just because I like silver coins so much. Another option for you would be to continure your westward journey nickels by working backwards to complete the Jefferson nickel set (1938-present). That is another thing that I personally could help you with alot, and there are no really expensive coins in that set. A couple more options I would suggest for consideration are Buffalo nickels, Walking Liberty halfs, and Mercury dimes, because those coins are all so beautifull, but are a little more difficult to complete.
Good luck, and let me know if I can help.

-Adam
Knight Of The Coin Table #103
Speak the truth
triggersmob
Trade Count: (30)
Knight Argent

Western Australian State Flag

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 06:10:32 AM »

Amr, if you decide to collect Lincolns, I have many spares that I have accumulated while putting together my set. As long as you are not to fussy about grade, I will be happy to send them to you. Just give me the word and they are on their way to Egypt.

Steve
latman

Email
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 09:12:10 AM »

I am having a similar problem with my US coins. No direction at the moment. I have Morgan, Ike, SBAs, Sacagawa and Presidential dollars, modern issue 1/2 and 1/4 dollars, dimes, nickels, IHCs and LHCs. Where to start?
longnine009
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (1)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 09:40:49 AM »

I am having a similar problem with my US coins. No direction at the moment. I have Morgan, Ike, SBAs, Sacagawa and Presidential dollars, modern issue 1/2 and 1/4 dollars, dimes, nickels, IHCs and LHCs. Where to start?

There's always type collecting. The beauty of which is different designs and you don't have to get bogged down with  key dates. The 7070 albums seem to be pretty popular.

No matter where you go, there you are.
latman

Email
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 11:07:10 AM »

Actually that might be a really good direction to go. Thanks longnine009, I hadn't even thought of that. Next question, where can I get a 7070 album? Does anyone know of somewhere in Oz, or will I have to get one sent from the US.
AdamL
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 12:12:19 PM »

Actually that might be a really good direction to go. Thanks longnine009, I hadn't even thought of that. Next question, where can I get a 7070 album? Does anyone know of somewhere in Oz, or will I have to get one sent from the US.

Hmmm. You may have to drder one on-line or have an American member get you one. But maybe an Australian coin dealer could help you out there too.

-Adam
Speak the truth
EgCollector
Trade Count: (14)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 08:14:21 PM »

It looks like most of you have recommended these two sets Lincoln cents and Jefferson Nickels

So, what album do you recommend for this collection ?

Amr Smiley Smiley Smiley

Knight #107
Topher

Email
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 08:41:41 PM »

Jefferson nickels will be far easier to complete than Lincoln's.  Another set you may wish to consider is the Roosevelt dimes.  Many people don't bother collecting them, and the keys aren't overly expensive either, so it would be relatively easy to finish.  The Lincoln keys will be much more expensive in comparison, and it seems everyone is collecting them, so there will be increased competition.

I personally use Gardmaster albums, but mostly because they are a Canadian company and make good Canadian albums, so that way they all match for me.  Dansco's seem to be the preference for US coins, but I personally don't like them as much.
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 01:06:31 AM »

Gees, I hate to say, but my whole collection, paper money, rare coins, gold, ancients, Scottish hammered, USSR coins, Ukrainian coins, Australian coins, Portuguese coins, Portuguese banknotes, Spanish banknotes, it is all no direction.  I pretty much have given up on direction.  I buy things just cause they look nice and I wanted one, not because I want it to be part of a theme.  I have themes though, females on banknotes, Scottish coins, but I also have serious areas where I have purchased a single coin that doesn't fit in with any other collecting interests I have:

I don't collect much English hammered, but dang, this is lovely.  Couldn't live without it when I saw it.  I think I sometimes buy on impulse, but far from regretting it, I still love this piece and love staring at the image of it.  It was a PILE of money, many months of work to a labourer in 14th century England, and something only a Noble, a Knight or a Monarch or rich merchant would have had.

AdamL
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 01:25:33 AM »

It looks like most of you have recommended these two sets Lincoln cents and Jefferson Nickels

So, what album do you recommend for this collection ?

If you want a nice album, and one that shows both sides of the coins (as opposed to the one-sided folders) I would suggest dansco albums. I know that for half dollars and such, which is mostly what I collect, they cost around 23 U.S. dollars. It might be less for the Jeffersons or Lincolns though. I'm not sure. Do a google search for Dansco albums.

-Adam
Speak the truth
AdamL
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 01:28:19 AM »

By the way, I like to get rolls of Jeffersons from my bank, and put them in folders. I work on alot of sets of them at a time, since the ones from 1960-present are so plentifull. So if you'd like I have a Whitman folder with slots from 1962-1995 that is completely full that I'd be happy to trade for some coins from your country.

-Adam
Speak the truth
longnine009
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 05:23:54 AM »

I don't know who their retailers are but Dansco makes them.

No matter where you go, there you are.
latman

Email
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 02:04:41 PM »

I asked my local dealer and he said he can order a 7070 for me no problem. First one he has ever had to order as he doesn't have much US stuff at the best of times.

Scottishmoney, I can relate totally with you. So much to collect and so little time/money/space. And I love that coin, no wonder you had to have it, absolutely beautiful.
Pages:  [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: