KOTCT Members Forum
May 17, 2024, 06:31:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages:  1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 2008 Sacagawea Dollar?  (Read 3998 times)
Paint Your Wagon
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (1)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2008, 06:48:58 PM »

I have none since they were up to now always sold as gold or golden and it is ubelievable how many fall for that description

Now they go for 3 euro on ebay plus postage that is like 9 dollars without airtight capsule  Huh

Where I am going I ain't certain
Where I am going I don't know
All I know is that I'am on my way
Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (10)
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2008, 07:21:12 PM »

Our "golden" dollars MUST have protection from the elements and an airtite is required to keep that beautiful golden color. I do prefer the Sackie to the dead Presidents and find it ironic they bring such a stable price and have already become a pricey set if proofs are included when no one in the U.S. wants to use them for anything else!

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)
S.George
Trade Count: (24)
Knight Argent

vicgeonath@yahoo.co.in
View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2008, 08:34:48 PM »

I like the Lady Sacagawea, who sacrificed her life in Lewis Clarke Expedition.  Her son went to Germany as a friend of a Prince there etc.,
George
George; not quite sure where you got your information on Sacajawea(boat launcher in Shoshone) but part of what you say couldn't be further from what actually happened. She was with Lewis and Clark only from 1804 to 1806 when she was 17 to 19 years of age. Married to a fellow by the name of Charbbonneau who was hired by Clark as a guide.  Her son, Jean Baptiste was eventually adopted by Clark and educated in St. Lewis Mo.
A daughter was also born to Sacajawea in 1810 but died as a young girl. This was when Sacajawea left her husband and returned to the Wind River area and the Shoshone (snake) people. She eventually died in April of 1884 on the reservation and is burried near Lander Wyoming on Indian land.  Here is a good web site to fill in all the little items that I left out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacagawea#Later_life_and_death

Hope this clears up some of the missed concepts of the woman.

Sir Olddan:
Thanks for the correction you have given.
The son of Sacagawea was Mr. Pomp Baptiste
His friend was Duke Paul  Wilhelm better known as Prince Paul of Wurttemberg,now Southwestern Germany
I got the information from
http://promstory.home.mindspring.com
Regards
George

It is by giving others, we actually receive from G
Paint Your Wagon
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2008, 01:37:59 AM »

Our "golden" dollars MUST have protection from the elements and an airtite is required to keep that beautiful golden color. I do prefer the Sackie to the dead Presidents and find it ironic they bring such a stable price and have already become a pricey set if proofs are included when no one in the U.S. wants to use them for anything else!

Yes and I am amazed that nobody offered a silver and gold version to make money of this nice design

By the way ; I looked in my pocket and all my 1;2:5 cent coins are brown copper allready

scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2008, 05:11:21 AM »

There were 11 Sackies struck in gold back in 1999 or 2000 and taken up on a Space Shuttle flight, they are now in the Smithsonian.  You would think the govt would wanna look at some money making opportunities, and keep one and sell the rest off.  But nobody could accuse the feds of having intelligence.

Paint Your Wagon
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2008, 02:26:19 AM »

There were 11 Sackies struck in gold back in 1999 or 2000 and taken up on a Space Shuttle flight, they are now in the Smithsonian.  You would think the govt would wanna look at some money making opportunities, and keep one and sell the rest off.  But nobody could accuse the feds of having intelligence.

yes they say beings of outer space never visited us because THEY are intelligent

Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2008, 06:40:55 PM »

Hillary Clinton was a MAJOR player in getting Sacagawea on the dollar coin (Had to be a woman) and with that came a lot of falsehoods. To here many tell the now version of the story Sacagawea was almost the leader of the expedition? Well folks, I hate to put a damper on the new version of history, but at that particular period of time women weren't quite as equal as they are in these modern times. And, while she could serve as a translator I would suggest she probably served in some more womanly duties as prescribed by that period of time. And, I would also suggest a 17 to 19 year old was not a world renowned traveler so her experience out of her neck of the woods would be very limited. Don't get me wrong as I am sure they all experienced a remarkable journey to lands unseen but I for one must keep things in perspective.
I read through a very unique cook book a few years back in which Virginia's most noteable women submitted recipes. All of them were Senator's or Congressmen's wives and they went into detail how to skin, gut and clean the critters before they advised proper cooking procedures. And THESE were our royal ladies of government at that time doing what was expected of them in that time period. Sacagawea did exactly what she was told and I doubt seriously if she volunteered for the expedition and if she did I doubt she had a clue what she had gotten herself into!!! Grin

Terry
Knight #1

scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2008, 07:21:38 PM »

I haven't a doubt that Sacagawea was sacked more than few times by Lewis and Clark.  Why do you think they would select a woman otherwise?  Not PC these days, but these "heroes" were no better than the rest of the sordid lot of us.

Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2008, 03:54:21 AM »

Got to give Lewis and Clark credit as they covered all the bases so to speak? No one knew how long the journey would last nor what the outcome might be. If you got to go at least take the things a man MUST have for such a journey. Kind of makes one wonder what really has gone on in our outer space adventures up to this point now doesn't it? Who wouldn't want to be first? Grin  Grin  Grin

Terry
Knight #1

CoinCrusader42
Knight Excalibur
Trade Count: (13)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2008, 04:08:57 AM »

Hey Twoshadows!

Speaking of women...

Word has it that you are going to sponsor a Hillary rally at your house tomorrow, just prior to the big primary in your state!

Any truth to that?

Grin Grin Grin Grin

KOTCT No. 2
ANA:  42203
Collector since 1956
S.George
Knight Argent

vicgeonath@yahoo.co.in
View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2008, 08:54:24 PM »

yes they say beings of outer space never visited us because THEY are intelligent

Dear Sir Paintyourwagon/August:
There are 12 x 22 Karat Sacagawea Golden Dollars minted by the U.S.Mint.
They were FIRST SHOWN TO PUBLIC in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, on August 10, 2007.
Mr. Ed. Moy, Director of the U.S.Mint has signed and issued Sacagawea Commemorative Collector's card and presented them during August 10 - 12, 2007 at Mulwaukee.
I am one of the owner of this Collectors Card
George

S.George
Knight Argent

vicgeonath@yahoo.co.in
View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2008, 09:03:12 PM »

Sir Scootishmoney:
I understand there are 12/Twelve Golden Sacagawea Dollars, minted by the U.S. Mint, during 1999, please.
George

Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2008, 06:28:15 PM »

Actually, if memory serves me correct, there were 39 gold Sacagaweas struck and the Mint picked the best 12 or so for the outer space flight and destroyed the rest of them very quickly (melted). All of this happened prior to congress finding out about this little ILLEGAL striking!

Now CoinCrusader let me make this perfectly clear where I stand on Hillary. "If she didn't have the guts to do what needed to be done with her marriage, while husband Bill was in office, why in the world would I think she has the guts to do what needs to be done as President? Everyone knows why she stayed with him now don't they? The media is right about one thing. Americans either love the Clintons or HATE the Clintons. It is for each individual to decide! I would point out most of the HATERS I know refused to vote this year as they feel there is NO election. Only a bunch of rich guys and gals throwing out a few rich friends for them to choose from and they are fed up with the mockery we call a national election.
I am absolutely at a loss why any working class American would donate one thin dime to any of these arrogant rich politicians running for national office? Cry  I can think of thousands of other places where the money would be better spent!!!
Take the, still on the drawing board, "Indiana OutHouse Museum" with our branch museums in Colorado and Wyoming. Where's the national outcry to save these historic structures? Grin Given the proper funds I/We can move forward with this dream! Grin And I am willing to make the sacrifice to head up this national shrine if only the funds would start dropping through the hole, so to speak!

Now this was probably not the place for this polite rant but seeing how you asked I felt compelled to answer for the 49% of the Indiana voters who did not vote for Hillary and the other 50% of the registered voters who no longer vote!

Terry
Knight #1

Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2008, 04:19:40 AM »

What a beautiful place for a new museum! Looks like you are two holes ahead of the rest of us? Grin I am still looking for prime land along the interstate for our new Outhouse Museum here in Indiana. Perhaps I could mix coinage of the U.S. along with our toilet exhibit? This would bring in a whole new line of customers who might enjoy sitting on one of our exhibits admiring a display case of coins hanging from the wall? Of course we want to have a few "working" exhibits that could offer immediate relief for wayward travelers? Such untapped potential!!!

Terry
Knight #1

Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2008, 04:26:23 AM »

While I don't have a photo at this time we Hoosiers still have the only, to my knowledge, two story outhouse left in North America. Seen it once, while on a bicycle tour of Indiana, but didn't take the time to stop and admire its inner workings so I am not sure just how it was set up. What a shame, rode right by history and didn't even stop! Grin

Terry
Knight #1

Pages:  1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: