KOTCT Members Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:39:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Sundays addition to the family. Sorry big pictures again...  (Read 383 times)
nohope587
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (22)
Knight Argent

Me Coin from Aus

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 22, 2009, 06:14:09 PM »

I went to the college station coin show Sunday. I was only there for about 20 mins as there were only eight tables.
A dealer who I have purchased from in the past had a 2 cent coin in his display. Even from a distance I could see it had been cleaned. But I could also see a full 'WE' It was marked about XF. ($34 CDN)

I took a look and asked how much? He knows me so he quoted the $34 from CDN (grey Sheet). I complained it had been cleaned and that XF was a little high.
He examined the coin closely. He then agreed to drop to $30.
I paid $40 and told him to invest in some books. Why?

Check out this and see if you can see why I was willing to pay $10 more than he asked and still thought I was getting a great deal on a cleaned coin.
The dealer was happy with the extra he made over his purchase price and I was happy with my cheap buy, enough to make my day today.

Who am I kidding. I doubt there is another person in the country as obsessed as I am about this series. So there is no reason any of you would know why I would pay more than the asking price for a coin. The coin is a fairly rare example of a RPD the die chip and the machine doubling on the rev are indicators of this. As of 1996 there were only two examples recorded in Mint state. This is far from mint state but its a variety I did not have.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
tiddyathome
Trade Count: (3)
Knight

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 04:48:18 AM »

I picked the doubling but had no idea it was rare. Well done Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: