KOTCT Members Forum
May 19, 2024, 06:56:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Mexican States; Durango. 1 Peso Note  (Read 574 times)
ElleKitty
Mewmismatist
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (24)
Knight Argent

There's an awful lot of coins out there still.

View Profile Email
« on: October 29, 2007, 05:29:50 AM »

I don't know much at all about this note, just yet.  But I will!

humpybong
Master Collector
Trade Count: (20)
Knight Argent

bm.1947
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 05:32:39 AM »

Unusual note kitty....how come Durango has there own notes?

Will have to investigate now that you have triggered my interest.

Barry
Global Moderator
Knight of the Coin Table #47

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"
ElleKitty
Mewmismatist
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (24)
Knight Argent

There's an awful lot of coins out there still.

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 05:37:05 AM »

Huzzah!  And that's the whole reason I post these things up.
http://www.banxico.org.mx/sitioingles/billetesymonedas/didactico/notesManufactFeaturesHistory/historyMexicanNotes.html#revoluci%F3n

Banknotes during the 1910 Revolution
The revolution against Porfirio Díaz's government, which began in 1910, would lead Mexico once again to a currency shortage and to a collapse in the acceptance of banknotes. Large quantities of coins were withdrawn from circulation due to the fighting and, if that were not enough, banknotes were rejected again.

General Victoriano Huerta led a military coup in February 1913 that resulted in the overthrow and assassination of Francisco I. Madero, the constitutionally legitimate president of Mexico. General Huerta ordered the private banks issuing currency to deliver the metal backing for their banknotes to his government and to issue unusually large quantities of banknotes with no backing. The Mexican banking system, built with great difficulty, thus quickly fell to pieces, along with the use and acceptance of banknotes.

Nevertheless, the lack of currency forced municipal authorities, military leaders, merchants, miners and landowners to issue necessity currencies. As a result, from 1913 to 1915, necessity currency reappeared in Mexico: several metallic coins were minted in distinct locations throughout the country, and above all, the issuance of paper money multiplied. The first to issue these currencies was Venustiano Carranza, head of the Constitutionalist Army and leader of the revolt against Huerta who, in turn, authorized several revolutionary leaders to issue their own banknotes, vouchers, and cardboard currencies to collect campaign funds.

Banknotes during the 1910 Revolution

As Carranza's faction consolidated its power, several attempts were made to solve the country's monetary problems: the only valid paper money would be that issued by the Carranza faction and, in order to guard against counterfeiting, more sophisticated banknotes manufactured by the American Bank Note Company in New York City were ordered. These banknotes were put into circulation in May 1916, while former issues were gradually withdrawn. These banknotes were known as "forgery proof," but their fate was no different from that of previous revolutionary issues. They suffered a shocking devaluation, and by the end of that year, they were already useless. In the face of these problems, the only safe currency was the rare and scarce coin, since paper issues were only backed by the force of arms, which, in the event of a military setback, left their holders helpless.

humpybong
Master Collector
Trade Count: (20)
Knight Argent

bm.1947
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 06:02:33 AM »

Hey...thanks kitty, you just saved me a bit of time tracking that down.

Very interesting period in Mexico's history.

Barry
Global Moderator
Knight of the Coin Table #47

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: