KOTCT Members Forum
May 11, 2024, 09:41:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages:  [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 2009 UK Charles Darwin £2 Coins  (Read 3124 times)
EgCollector
Trade Count: (14)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« on: February 17, 2009, 07:39:03 PM »

To commemorate the 200th anniversary of Charles Darwin’s birth on 12 February 1809 and the 150th anniversary of the publication of Darwin’s ‘On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection‘, the British Royal Mint has struck a series of limited edition proof and uncirculated collector £2 coins.

Charles Darwin is known throughout the world for his theory of evolution, which in the most recognized and simplistic description states that man descended from apes. It is this idea or theme that Suzie Zamit portrayed when she designed the reverse or tails side of the Darwin coin.

"My immediate idea was to depict Darwin looking back into the past so the starting point was to have him in full or 3/4 profile on one side and there were a variety of options for the other," Zamit explained on the Mint’s site. "I decided having Darwin and an ape was the simplest and most recognizable way of saying EVOLUTION."

The obverse or heads side of each legal tender coin features the current portrait of Her Majesty The Queen by Ian Rank-Broadley FRBS. The coin edge includes the inscription "ON THE ORIGIN OF SPECIES 1859."

Amr Smiley Smiley Smiley

Knight #107
EgCollector
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 07:47:01 PM »

"I decided having Darwin and an ape was the simplest and most recognizable way of saying EVOLUTION."

Grin Grin Grin

Well, this Two Ape ,,,hhm sorry, Two pound coin is beautiful. But i think Her Majesty The Queen shouldnt be placed on the same coin with these two apes.

I dont know what other members think of Darwin's theory, but regarding myself ..I'm no Ape nor a descender of a one.  Smiley

Amr Smiley Smiley Smiley

Knight #107
RenaL
Trade Count: (2)
Knight

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 08:26:39 PM »

I think one of those is Charles Darwin himself.
triggersmob
Trade Count: (30)
Knight Argent

Western Australian State Flag

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 08:44:09 PM »

Call me a Godless heathen if you like, but I much prefer Darwins theory to any other.

Beautiful coins by the way. Thanks for posting them, Amr.

Steve
EgCollector
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 09:12:24 PM »

Call me a Godless heathen if you like, but I much prefer Darwins theory to any other.

I'll call you a Dear Friend as always, i was talking from the scientific point. I am a man of science and research and from that i learned that their has to be evidence for anything i claim.
Regarding myself i think that The "modern evolutionary synthesis" is much better than the "natural selection" theory of evolution.  Smiley

Amr Smiley Smiley Smiley

Knight #107
Nighthawk
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (12)
Knight Argent

DELTA FORCE

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 02:11:00 AM »

I think one of those is Charles Darwin himself.
Hmmmmmm......... hard to tell which one's the APE! LOL  Grin

NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
LOVER OF ART & HISTORY
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971
Nevol
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (19)
Knight Argent

Queensland State Flag

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 04:19:15 AM »

It's a lovely coin & I want one.  Grin Grin

2 Questions:
1. how/where do I get one?
2. how much are they?

KOTCT #46
Nancy

Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved.
triggersmob
Trade Count: (30)
Knight Argent

Western Australian State Flag

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 05:05:36 AM »

Try here Nancy.... http://www.royalmint.com/

Steve
humpybong
Master Collector
Trade Count: (20)
Knight Argent

bm.1947
View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 10:22:32 AM »

Received my BU copy in mail yesterday, very, very nice.

Also received the Robbie Burns 2 Pound coin as well.

Barry
Global Moderator
Knight of the Coin Table #47

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"
edix
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (3)
Knight Argent

KotCT #43

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 12:10:00 PM »

I dont know what other members think of Darwin's theory, but regarding myself ..I'm no Ape nor a descender of a one.  Smiley

To say that humans are descendant from apes may well be an insult to apes!
Pocketcoins
Trade Count: (5)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 10:54:29 PM »

This may or may not be the a good subject for this forum but since some of you have brought it up I feel like I must say something. I belive and read the King James Bible and in Genesis 1:27 it says God created man. Now thats how I belive and that ends that and some of rest of you who belive different than me thats fine. But I will not apologize or hide my belief becouse some feel that they are somehow more right that I am.  Smiley
EgCollector
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 12:44:33 AM »

...........I am a man of science and research and from that i learned that their has to be evidence for anything i claim.
Regarding myself i think that The "modern evolutionary synthesis" is much better than the "natural selection" theory of evolution.  Smiley

Again, My critisism is to Darwin and his theory "Natural Selection" in his book "The Origin Of Species". I am not talking from anyother point of view than the sceintific one.
The "Modern Evolutionary Synthesis" is much more acceptable for me rather than being an Ape descendent.

If anyone wants to discuss the two theories, or Darwins work "from the scientific point", i will be very happy to discuss it with him through email.

This is a very beautiful coin, Happy to know that you received yours Barry.  Smiley Nice Purchase and good luck with your purchase Nancy.  Smiley

Smiley Smiley Smiley

Amr Smiley Smiley Smiley

Knight #107
Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (10)
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 04:39:59 AM »

Well I guess I had better get my two cents worth in here! First I will say celebrating Darwin or any other man of the times I can live with but.....times have changed and it seems that over 2000 years of recorded history has taught mankind NOTHING. And I mean that on a very wide spectrum. If I were to state my beliefs here all of you would be put out so I dare not go there. I will say the real truth is bearing down on mankind and I have waited patiently for it to get here. I just hope I live long enough to finally see all the lies and falsehoods finally buried where they belong. It will be earth shattering to most of mankind who have refused to even remotely look at other possibilities than that which has been given them based on someone else's agenda. Like they said on the X-Files, The truth is out there!
And, speaking of the truth----you should have NEVER got me started-----most folks DON'T want the real truth about anything. It would scare the living daylights out of them. They want to hear that which they perceive as the truth so that they might go on in a safe mundane little world with nothing to fear. I feel each and everyone of us had better start thinking outside of the box as the day is coming when a whole box full of impossibilities are going to be dropped right in our laps. I find it very amazing that mankind has untold mysteries all over the globe yet they turn a blind eye to other possible explanations out of fear of the unknown. How can anyone of us believe in one unknown and swear against another? Mankind believes he is the king but soon will find out he is nothing more than a little speck in a huge universe that is far more expansive that one can imagine and we are nothing more than bottom feeders looking for ways to rise up out of our medival way of thinking. Anything to change the sad state of our planet would be welcomed by me.

A closed mind is like a parachute! It is WORTHLESS until its OPEN!

Last but not least....How come the rest of the monkees have not caught up? They have had thousands of years?

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)
EgCollector
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 05:26:40 AM »

Last but not least....How come the rest of the monkees have not caught up? They have had thousands of years?

..................................................................Applause..........................................................................

Amr Smiley Smiley Smiley

Knight #107
Nighthawk
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (12)
Knight Argent

DELTA FORCE

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 05:32:54 AM »

The rest of the monkeys have not caught up yet, and they never will, because they are just that........ MONKEYS! And better be careful what you open your mind to!!

NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
LOVER OF ART & HISTORY
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971
Pages:  [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: