KOTCT Members Forum
May 11, 2024, 09:18:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages:  [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Spain Maravedi, 1601  (Read 1502 times)
ElleKitty
Mewmismatist
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (24)
Knight Argent

There's an awful lot of coins out there still.

View Profile Email
« on: August 15, 2008, 02:46:49 AM »

This little gem I picked up a while back, tucked into an album, and promptly forgot that I had!  It's a copper Spanish Maravedi coin, dated 1601.  The coin has been stamped, but I can't make heads or tails of the stamp. The only thing it accomplished was to erase the denomination mark from the coin.  The mint, 'C' is still there, I think that's Cuernca.  It was common for Spanish King Phillip IV to counterstamp the coins of his predecessor Phillip III with a new date and denomination, instead of minting his own. 

The legends on the coin are quite clear for being over 400 years old.  These coins circulated in Spanish Florida, although it is impossible to know if this one ever did, or not.  I think it's a very interesting bit of history!

AdamL
Trade Count: (12)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 03:49:19 AM »

Great coin! Thanks for sharing.

-Adam
Knight Of The Coin Table #103
Speak the truth
Nighthawk
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (12)
Knight Argent

DELTA FORCE

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 04:17:59 AM »

Another nice coin, Miss Kitty! Wink I have a few old Spanish coins myself, however nothing that old. Grin Thanks for sharing! Smiley

NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
LOVER OF ART & HISTORY
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971
triggersmob
Trade Count: (30)
Knight Argent

Western Australian State Flag

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 05:46:47 AM »

You have so many wonderful coins, Kitty.
I enjoy looking at them all.
I don't post a reply on everyone, but I'm looking. LOL

Steve
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Trade Count: (1)
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 06:08:47 AM »

I love that Maravedi, and that is a very nice example for a coin that is usually the worse for 400 years.  I have a handful of them, and none of them are nearly as nice.

KurtS
Trade Count: (0)

Email
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 01:58:49 AM »

Interesting coin! I know a helpful guy who specializes in Spanish colonial coinage. He might have some ideas on the counterstamp. If you forward me some pics, I'll send them his way.  Smiley
humpybong
Master Collector
Trade Count: (20)
Knight Argent

bm.1947
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 07:14:42 AM »

Great looking coin for over 400 years old Kitty.

You must have some collection of these type of coins, I only have early coins from Great Britain.

Barry
Global Moderator
Knight of the Coin Table #47

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"
ElleKitty
Mewmismatist
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 03:27:21 PM »

I have a very small collection of early Spanish cobs and milled 8 reales.  I mostly just collect whatever someone has sold to the coin shop the previous week.  I am always amazed at the varied bits and pieces people sell!

KurtS

Email
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 12:18:57 AM »

That sounds like a fun collection. I'm always intrigued by the possible history of these older coins and where they may have traveled.
I sent the coin photo off to the colonials guy, and I'll let you know what he thinks.  Smiley
ElleKitty
Mewmismatist
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 12:33:26 AM »

Cheesy  Sounds Great!

KurtS

Email
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 12:37:02 AM »

Hi, I just heard back from Bob (he goes by Swamperbob on CCF), here's his take on your coin:

"Sorry but it is NOT a colonial counterstamp.

I recognize the stamp in this case, it is Spanish (Mainland). The copper coins of Philip III and Philip IV were counterstamped to change the denomination. They are called "Resellados". The reference is Cayon page 570 for 4 Maravedis and 573 for 8 Maravedis. The host is from the Cuenca mint (Philip III) but since I do not have the diameter, I am guessing it is a 4 Maravedis. The date of the host is fairly common. However, many types were stamped and each mint used different punches. The trace of the stamp is not complete enough for me to tell the final denomination or mint of the c/s, but it appears to be from the reign of Philip III and not Philip IV. It dates therefore no later than 1621. 

In general the stamp format is a Crowned Roman Numeral with a mint mark (one letter) centered below the numeral. The right side of the crown is clearly visible on the obverse (the Rampant Lion is on the obverse). You can see part of the circular punch outline. The upper right point of the crown is near the second P in Philippus and the stamp is only slightly tilted from the axis of the coin. The last I in the Roman Numeral (IIII or VIII) is visible directly under the edge of the crown and it extends to the S in Philippus. The side of the I and edge of the stamp obliterates the lower parts of the P and U.

The catalog value of the countermarked coppers is lower than the unmarked host (under $5). It is really too bad this one was revalued because the host alone would go much higher ($20 range).

I have appraised numerous similar coppers for local dealers and the most interesting ones carry clear multiple counterstamps. These coppers were restamped in some cases two or three successive times."
humpybong
Master Collector
Trade Count: (20)
Knight Argent

bm.1947
View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 05:37:21 AM »

Swamperbob has a lot of knowledge on counterfeit coins as well.

Why don't you invite him to join us Kurt.

Barry
Global Moderator
Knight of the Coin Table #47

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"
KurtS

Email
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 05:55:00 AM »

Barry, that's a great idea. How would I go about that--just send him a link, or is there a process involved?
ElleKitty
Mewmismatist
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 11:02:32 AM »

The process is:

Send SB an email.  Invite him.  If he accepts, he comes to the website and registers.  And, so long as no one stands up with a very good reason not to let him in, we let him in! 

I for one agree.  His knowledge of counterstamps and counterfeits is enviable! 

And Kurt, most of us know SB from the CCF :p  I hadn't seem him posting there much as of late.  Has he been busy?

KurtS

Email
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 11:26:50 AM »

And Kurt, most of us know SB from the CCF :p  I hadn't seem him posting there much as of late.  Has he been busy?

That's what I suspected...that he's been around far longer than me.  Grin  I'll send him a friendly invite.
I recall he's been busy selling a collection of ancients for a friend (I bought a few) And, working on a book.
Here's a Alexandria Tetradrachm I got from him  Smiley

Pages:  [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: