KOTCT Members Forum
May 12, 2024, 03:04:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: George V Sovreign Question  (Read 562 times)
EgCollector
Trade Count: (14)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« on: April 29, 2008, 05:19:15 PM »

Hi all,

I have noticed in my Krause 1900-present 33rd edition that the George V Sovreign coins dated fom 1911 to 1925 all have BV for the XF condition and around $130 for the UNC condition

EXCEPT; the 1917  F= $3,000 VF= $3,500 XF= $6,500 UNC= $12,000

I thought this may be due to low mintage number "1,014,999" but the 1911 Proof has a mintage number "3,764" and a value of $700

Can anyone explain this for me please.
Why is that specific date has a very high value comapred to the others, specially that Krause even didnt write "Rare" beside it.

Thanks

Amr Smiley Smiley Smiley

Knight #107
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Trade Count: (1)
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 07:36:50 PM »

Caution on taking Krause catalogues for literal, they are NOT always accurate.  In fact sometimes I wonder that they cause more confusion than they help.

Paint Your Wagon
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (1)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 08:05:55 PM »

I use Krause goldcoins of the world solely to try and find gross weight and gold content and net weight
A lot of collector coins are missing like the available years of the Libra ( my friend was doing a complete series in MS65 plus and he kept running in years that were not in Krause but sometimes in Schon the german cat )

Where I am going I ain't certain
Where I am going I don't know
All I know is that I'am on my way
EgCollector
Trade Count: (14)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 03:44:18 AM »

I got this answer to the same question on another forum and i would like to know your openion about this info.

my understanding is that gold ceased to circulate in Britain once WW1 began: paper money took over.
Gold coins were minted, but primarily used to settle international transactions.
There were large shipments of gold coins from Britain to the USA toward the end of the war.
The American practice was to melt these, and re-mint the gold as American coinage. No-one kept track of the dates on the coins. It is thought that most of the output of several years disappeared in this way. So the mintage figures are unexceptional, but the coins are not occurring in the marketplace.

Amr Smiley Smiley Smiley

Knight #107
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: