KOTCT Members Forum
May 19, 2024, 02:19:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Opinions on this 1909-S IHC please - updated with better pics!  (Read 1214 times)
ndgoflo
Trade Count: (0)

Email
« on: December 18, 2007, 06:15:40 AM »

Hi all, I am interested in your opinions on this recent purchase of mine. I know the pictures aren't the best, but my trusty old camera isn't so trusty anymore and I just can't seem to nail down a decent image on my new camera. The images here are from my cell phone.

Comments, opinions, grade, value?

CoinCrusader42
Knight Excalibur
Trade Count: (13)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 06:33:49 AM »

I'll leave opinions to the more knowledgable among us, but it sure looks like a nice speciman to me.

I just bought a 1906 Indian Head cent which I was putting in an airtite just before reading your post.

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

KOTCT No. 2
ANA:  42203
Collector since 1956
ndgoflo

Email
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 07:36:24 AM »

I'm working on getting a few close up shots to give a better idea of the condition. I bought this piece at a local auction a few weeks ago. Ended up paying a little more than I cared to, and then once I got it home I noticed a few things that I failed to see at the auction or I wouldn't have even came home with it. I am just kind of curious as to what others think about it or perhaps how much they would value it at so that I can get an idea of how bad of a mistake that I made. I mean, I don't think that I will end up going backwards with this coin, I just think that I could have gotten a better example for the same money. Being a key to the series, I don't really see any downside, I am not in it to flip it, this coin will more than likely reside in my collection until the end of my days.
ndgoflo

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 07:49:51 AM »

Here's a few more pics to help show some detail.

ndgoflo

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 10:15:17 AM »

Thanks for the replies, I will eventually come clean with my purchase price but I would like a few more opinions first. I was able to get a couple of better shots of it though. Still using my cell phone, if you can believe that.

S.George
Trade Count: (24)
Knight Argent

vicgeonath@yahoo.co.in
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 02:19:33 PM »

Cheesy

Hi:

I am little bit sad, that I am unable to remember 'unusal' names and call them by name.  So, I used Hi. Sorry!

Well!  The Red Indian Cent 1909-s is a Key Date coin with 309,000 mintage.
What you have acquired is a good coin, worth holding  in one's collection.   

Mr.Old Dan's opinion is of an expert's., including the value.

According to grading from Book:
For Very Good 8: Atleast3 letters of Liberty readable on the head
For Fine 12: Liberty Completely visible

Mr.Coincrusader 42, I am also not an expert.   Please express your opinion, kindly.

Regards to all
George

It is by giving others, we actually receive from G
ndgoflo

Email
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 02:48:24 AM »

to ndgoflo; the topic is about your cent, but I'm starting to be more interested in the camera that you are able to get such good shots with.  I've tried it with mine and can not even come close to the clarity of the pics you are posting.  I'm beginning to think it's not so much the camera as it is the person behind the lens.
Nice pics.

As they say, "Even a blind squirrell can find a nut every once and awhile."

I just got this new camera phone a couple of weeks ago, so it may be a little more advanced than other camera phones.

My technique is really quite simple.

1. I place the coin on some blue velvet
2. I use two flexable "gooseneck" desklamps with 60 watt GE Reveal lightbulbs
3. I steady the camera on a solid surface (I use a small can of fish food)
4. I hold a small magnifying lens over the camera lens (I used to use this lens with my old Kodak camera that died)
5. Snap the shot!!

My phone is an LG enV, and I put the camera setting on 1280x960

It may not take catalog quality photos, but I think it does a good enough job to properly represent a coin, and it is quite a bit better than most ebay pics!!
ElleKitty
Mewmismatist
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (24)
Knight Argent

There's an awful lot of coins out there still.

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 02:57:52 AM »

Not to insult your photography, but a kindergartener's sketch would be better than most ebay pics. Wink

A lovely coin, and one that I would be proud to have in my collection.  Since I haven't got any clue what you paid for it however, I can't comment on the value.

I really do like the Indian Head cents.   I wish our circulating coins had a bit more artistic flair to them.  :-/

CoinCrusader42
Knight Excalibur
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 11:30:43 AM »

I can't claim a poor camera for lack of pictures.  I have a Nikon D-70, and paid right at $1,000 for the body alone.

The problem has always been my reluctance to jump in and give it a try.  I have lots of coins I would like to share, and surely scanning can't be all that hard.

Maybe one of these days I'll get with it.

KOTCT No. 2
Collector since 1956
triggersmob
Trade Count: (30)
Knight Argent

Western Australian State Flag

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 05:56:17 PM »

Ndgoflo, that's a nice looking Indian you have there.
I don't profess to be any good at grading, but I'm trying to learn.
So I will say this is about a VF-20 with a value of $425 in last years Redbook. 

Coincrusader, I want you to make a New Year's resolution, that you will post a picture in this forum before the end of January. How about it?

Steve
Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (10)
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 07:41:49 PM »

Quite honestly ndgoflo just having one of these coins is a big deal. Tough to find and even tougher to pay for. One thing is or certain, regardless of what you paid, they should NEVER lose any value. I have bought and sold many a key date coins in my lifetime and shudder to think what they would all be worth now had I kept them? Grading is very subjective and the beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. Adding this coin, in any condition, is a prize in most collections and when it comes to key dates one can almost throw the price guides out the door as it all boils down to the fact of availability and who has the most money to spend on any given auction. If you brought it home YOU were the winner that day. Honestly I would love to have that specimen in my collection which currently does NOT have that particular coin.

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)
CoinCrusader42
Knight Excalibur
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 04:31:11 AM »

Triggersmob,

Tell you what.  I pledge that I will ATTEMPT to post a picture before the end of January!!

KOTCT No. 2
Collector since 1956
triggersmob
Trade Count: (30)
Knight Argent

Western Australian State Flag

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 05:33:50 PM »

Onya Gazza.

Translation