KOTCT Members Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:02:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: A Sweet CoinStar Find Yesterday...  (Read 584 times)
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Trade Count: (1)
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 19, 2010, 12:38:51 AM »

When I saw them in a darkened reject slot at the Meijers store, I thought oh - five Canadian 10 cent coins, not an unusual find and welcome all the while - especially after another mini-drought of finds.

I swiped them quickly from the reject slot and looked at the edges quickly on the way to the parking lot and pretty much confirmed from the edges that indeed I had five Canadians.

However when I got home and pulled them from my pocket and looked at them, I quickly noticed only four of them were legal immigrants - one of them is a citizen of the USA - a 70 year old citizen in silver!

Inasmuch as my lousy camera(Sony) will permit me to photograph them - it is a 1940-D Merc.  Welcome home intrepid traveler.

Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (10)
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 06:14:43 AM »

With the price of silver I find it amazing anyone is dumping Mercury Dimes in a coinstar machine. And, it seems, the machine is NOT smart enough to know what a silver dime is? Who would have thought a coinstar machine would kick out real silver in the reject slot! Guess we do learn something every day! Wink I am just glad a COIN COLLECTOR found that coin. It must have been a tramatic experience being dumped into a machine with a bunch of junk metal and then be kicked out as such? Take care of her ScottishMoney!!!

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)
Nighthawk
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (12)
Knight Argent

DELTA FORCE

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 08:30:28 AM »

Good find there Dave!   Smiley  I sometimes find foreign coins on or near those machines because they have been rejected. My neighbor once found a 1914 Canadian large cent laying on top of a coinstar machine a few years back. I hit the jackpot though one day while I was on my lunch break at work. The guy that was selling food from the "roach-coach" outside in the parking lot was dispensing silver Washington quarters as change from his coin dispenser thingy on his belt, not realizing what they really were. Then all of a sudden, I've got guys coming up to me wanting to know what they had received in their change. I told them they were silver quarters, and was able to purchase some for 4 times face (the going rate at that time). Most of them were more than happy to exchange one of those little fellas for a crisp, new dollar bill! Made me happy too!  Grin

NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
LOVER OF ART & HISTORY
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971
templar
KNIGHT #125--YOUR SERVANT AND FRIEND--ALWAYS
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (30)
Knight Argent

NUMISMATIST--MASTER OF TRIVIA--HISTORIAN--A.A.N.G.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 06:14:22 PM »

A WHILE AGO  I WAS USING ONE OF THSE MACHINES BUT ONE COIN KEPT DROPPING THROUGH AS I FEED ALL THESE PENNIES INTO THE OPENING.......TURNED OUT TO BE AN INDIAN PENNY FROM 1902----I DON'T USE THE MACHINES ANYMORE BECAUSE I DON'T LIKE THE TO PAY THE COST......BUT IT WAS A NICE FIND

YOUR SERVANT AND FRIEND.......TEMPLAR

DRUID
HUMORIST
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN
BARD
TIME WAS INVENTED SO EVERYTHING WOULD NOT HAPPEN AT ONCE!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: