KOTCT Members Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:48:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages:  [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: INDIAN COINS  (Read 1713 times)
templar
KNIGHT #125--YOUR SERVANT AND FRIEND--ALWAYS
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (30)
Knight Argent

NUMISMATIST--MASTER OF TRIVIA--HISTORIAN--A.A.N.G.

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 16, 2010, 03:05:39 AM »

I MENTIONED THE NEW COIN BEING MINTED BY THE SHAWNEE NATION....WELL I WOULD LIKE TO SHARE THE FIRST 8 COINS........YOU WILL JUST BE LOOKING AT THE FRONTS OF THE COINS AS THE REVERSE IS THE SAME ON EACH COIN AND I COULD NOT CLEAR IT UP ENOUGH TO SCAN IT PROPERLY.....I HOPE YOU CAN SEE THEM CLEARLY........THEY WILL BE IN THREE SETS

THANKS.......YOUR SERVANT AND FRIEND..........THE TEMPLAR

* shawnee nation0001.jpg (480.9 KB, 1700x834 - viewed 128 times.)

DRUID
HUMORIST
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN
BARD
TIME WAS INVENTED SO EVERYTHING WOULD NOT HAPPEN AT ONCE!
templar
Global Moderator
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 03:07:36 AM »

HERE IS THE SECOND SET

* shawnee nation0002.jpg (466.27 KB, 1619x834 - viewed 132 times.)

DRUID
HUMORIST
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN
BARD
templar
Global Moderator
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 03:14:07 AM »

AND THIS IS THE THIRD SET..........AND I LEAVE YOU WITH THE LAST PART OF SIOUX INDIAN PRAYER
 "MAKE ME ALWAYS READY TO COME TO YOU WITH CLEAN HANDS AND STRAIGHT EYES,
  SO WHEN LIFE FADES, AS THE FADING SUNSET,MY SPIRIT MAY COME TO YOU WITHOUT
                                                                                                                      SHAME"

YOUR FRIEND.........THE TEMPLAR

* shawnee nation 030001.jpg (453.63 KB, 1610x888 - viewed 115 times.)

DRUID
HUMORIST
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN
BARD
Nighthawk
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (12)
Knight Argent

DELTA FORCE

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 06:34:46 AM »

Very nice Joe! Thanks for posting!  Smiley

NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
LOVER OF ART & HISTORY
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971
humpybong
Master Collector
Trade Count: (20)
Knight Argent

bm.1947
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 10:05:09 AM »

Yep...I agree

but then I would not expect anything else from him.

Grin

Barry
Global Moderator
Knight of the Coin Table #47

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"
Snooba
Trade Count: (1)
Knight

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 01:26:53 PM »

Sir Templar,

I had no idea that these coins even existed.  Thank you for posting the photos!

Snooba.

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Knightess of the Coin Table No. 39
templar
Global Moderator
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 03:56:18 PM »

THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO VIEW THE COINS......WHEN THEY FIRST CAME OUT I THOUGHT THAT I WOULD GET ONE THAT WAS EIGHT YEARS AGO AND I AM AFRAID TO BREAK THE CHAIN.........PLUS THE PRICE OF SILVER HAS INCREASED OVER THE YEARS TO MAKE THEM A VALUABLE ASSET..........

YOUR SERVANT AND FRIEND........THE TEMPLAR
 ATTACHED IS A PICTURE OF CHIEF OSCEOLA OF THE FLORIDA SIMINOLES.........THEY CLAIM THAT THEY ARE ONE OF THE FEW TRIBES NEVER TO HAVE SIGNED A PEACE TREATY WITH THE U.S.. GOVERNMENT..........THEY LIVED IN THE FLORIDA EVERGLADES AND WERE ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO CATCH

* OSCEOLA.jpg (3.39 KB, 96x122 - viewed 120 times.)

DRUID
HUMORIST
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN
BARD
OldDan
Master Collector
Trade Count: (4)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 10:07:33 PM »

Sir Templar;
All really great coin collection, and especially so because they are from a private mint. I noticed that on a couple of them, they make referrence to Lewis & Clark's expedition by the 'Corps of Discovery' as the government called it at the time. I was unaware that the Shawnee (Cherakee) had anything to do with the journey. My knowledge of the trip recalled the indian woman, married to a French trapper, that accompanied the expedition to the Pacific and back as far as North Dakota. Her name was Sacajawea and came from the Shoshone tribe located in the Rocky Mountains. They buried her a few miles west of Lander, Wyoming (or so the story goes withing the tribe itself). She acted as a interpreter and guide.
The question is: do you have any idea why they are using Lewis & Clark as a subject on their coins?
Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (10)
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 10:56:33 PM »

I still have problems with the claim Sacajawea received any credit for "Guiding the Expedition" but can accept the fact she was an outstanding addition to the journey as an interpreter. Back then most folks, including the Indian nations didn't venture too far from their beaten path which would have included both winter and summer hunting grounds? How can one guide where they have never been? And, quite honestly, we all know for the most part how women were treated back then. Guess I just prefer the REAL truth over painted realities? She served in many ways, I am sure, and was probably a valuable asset at times but.......

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)
OldDan
Master Collector
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 01:48:30 AM »

I still have problems with the claim Sacajawea received any credit for "Guiding the Expedition"......How can one guide where they have never been?
I have extricated this from 'Wikipedia':
Sacagawea was born into an Agaidika (Salmon Eater) tribe of Lemhi Shoshone between Kenney Creek and Agency Creek about twenty minutes away from present-day Salmon in Lemhi County, Idaho. In 1800, when she was about twelve, she was kidnapped by a group of Minnetarees. She was taken as a captive to a Hidatsa village near present-day Washburn, North Dakota. At about thirteen years of age, Sacagawea was taken as a wife by Toussaint Charbonneau, a Quebecer trapper living in the village. He was reported to have purchased, or won Sacagawea while gambling.
Meriwether Lewis and William Clark arrived near the Hidatsa villages to spend the winter of 1804-1805. They interviewed several trappers who might be able to interpret and guide the expedition up the Missouri River in the springtime. They agreed to hire Charbonneau as an interpreter when they discovered his wife spoke Shoshone, as they knew they would need the help of Shoshone tribes at the headwaters of the Missouri.
In April 1804, the expedition left Fort Mandan and headed up the Missouri River in pirogues. They had to be poled against the current and sometimes pulled from the riverbanks. On May 14, 1805, Sacagawea rescued items that had fallen out of a capsized boat, including the journals and records of Lewis and Clark. By August 1805, the corps had located a Shoshone tribe and discovered that the tribe's chief was Scajawea's brother Cameahwait. The Shoshone agreed to barter horses to the group, and help them over the cold and barren Rocky Mountains. The trip was so hard that they were reduced to eating tallow candles to survive, Sacagawea helped to find and cook camas roots to help them regain their strength.
As the expedition approached the mouth of the Columbia River on the Pacific Coast, Sacagawea gave up her beaded belt to enable the captains to trade for a fur robe they wished to give to President Thomas Jefferson.
Clark's journal entry for November 20, 1805 reads: When the corps reached the Pacific Ocean, members of the expedition—including Sacagawea— voted on November 24 vote on the location for building their winter fort. In January, when a whale's carcass washed up onto the beach south of Fort Clatsop, Sacagawea insisted on her right to go see this "monstrous fish".
On the return trip, as they approached the Rocky Mountains, Clark recorded "The Indian woman informed me that she had been in this plain frequently and knew it well.... She said we would discover a gap in the mountains in our direction..." which is now Gibbons Pass. A week later, on July 13, Sacagawea advised Clark to cross into the Yellowstone River basin at what is now known as Bozeman Pass. This was later chosen as the optimal route for the Northern Pacific Railway to cross the continental divide.

This may change your mind on the subject.
templar
Global Moderator
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 03:16:10 AM »

I DON'T KNOW WHY THE SHAWNEE NATION CHOSE TO HONOR LEWIS AND CLARK SINCE IT SEEMS THEY HAD LITTLE CONTACT WITH THEM.....MAYBE IT IS TO EMPHASIZE HOW THE INDIANS HELPED EXPAND THE U.S. WESTWARD.....THE SHAWNEE NATION IS MADE UP WITH MORE THAN JUST SHAWNEES  MUCH LIKE THE IRIQUOIS CONFEDERATION.....THE CREEK NATION.....THE PLAINS INDIANS.....MANY GROUPS BANNED TOGETHER OR WERE LESSER PARTS OF THE WHOLE PICTURE...IN MICHIGAN THERE WERE THE OTTAWA...HURONS...POTOWATOME...CHIPPEWAW....MIAMI...WYANDOT....OJIBWAY...AND SOME MORE I HAVEN'T LISTED  AND THE ATTRACTION WAS HUNTING AND TRADE AT THE WHITE MANS' FORTS....NOW IT IS THE OTHER WAY AROUND....WHITE MEN TRADE AT THE INDIAN FORTS CALLED.....
  KA-SEE-NOHS......

YOUR SERVANT AND KEMO SABE......THE LONE TEMPLAR

* cartooncowboy.jpg (3.18 KB, 100x160 - viewed 117 times.)

DRUID
HUMORIST
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN
BARD
Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (10)
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 06:17:33 AM »

Once again I stand corrected and do appreciate the opportunity to learn something! I promise, the next expedition I form, I will look for such a lady to accompany me! (You didn't think I would really go alone did you?)

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)
Tobyle
Trade Count: (9)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 07:41:10 PM »

Love the coins - and all the info provided above!
OldDan
Master Collector
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 09:03:27 PM »

I promise, the next expedition I form, I will look for such a lady to accompany me!
It's kind of like Templar said; 'SHE WAS ONLY A WHISKEY MAKER, BUT HE LOVED HER STILL.'
Erik
Trade Count: (0)
Knight Argent

coin.erik@gmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 06:33:52 PM »

Perfect coins Joe. Similar coins are only in my dreams but ..... one day ....may be .....I will put one in my collection  Smiley Smiley Smiley

Cheesy  I am only young and beginner collector but I am very happy in our castle Cheesy
Pages:  [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: