KOTCT Members Forum
May 16, 2024, 10:36:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Sacagawea Dollar Questions  (Read 1189 times)
CoinCrusader42
Knight Excalibur
Trade Count: (13)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« on: May 27, 2008, 12:36:33 PM »

I read somewhere that the Sacagawea Dollar reverse was going to be changed, starting in 2009.

Will the change just be three or four times in 2009, or will changes go on for year after year?

Are there plans to return eventually to the Eagle reverse?  It is one of my favorites.

Any answers will be appreciated.

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

KOTCT No. 2
ANA:  42203
Collector since 1956
ElleKitty
Mewmismatist
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (24)
Knight Argent

There's an awful lot of coins out there still.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 04:51:34 PM »

They aren't Sacs anymore, they're just Native American dollars. Sad

Beginning in 2009, the United States Mint will mint and issue $1 coins featuring designs celebrating the important contributions made by Indian tribes and individual Native Americans to the development of the United States and the history of the United States. The obverse design each year will remain the central figure of the “Sacagawea” design first produced in 2000, and contain the inscription “Liberty.” The reverse design will change each year to celebrate an important contribution of Indian tribes or individual Native Americans and contain the inscriptions “$1” and “United States of America.” Like the Presidential $1 Coins, the Native American $1 Coins will maintain their distinctive edge, golden color and feature edge-lettering of the year, mint mark, “E Pluribus Unum” and “In God We Trust.”
Sacagawea profile

Until the conclusion of the Presidential $1 Coin Program, the coins will be issued, to the maximum extent practicable, in chronological order of the events or persons being featured on the reverse design. In general, five distinct $1 coins will be issued each year -- four Presidential $1 Coins and one Native American $1 Coin. After the completion of the Presidential $1 Coin Program, the Native American $1 Coin Program will continue, featuring designs in any order determined to be appropriate by the Secretary, after consultation with the Committee on Indian Affairs of the Senate, the Congressional Native American Caucus of the House of Representatives, and the National Congress of American Indians.

The United States Mint will prepare a timeline of events and personal contributions of Native Americans for the program until at least 2016. This timeline will be used to create candidate designs for consideration. At various stages in the evaluation process, the United States Mint will consult with the Committee on Indian Affairs of the Senate, the Congressional Native American Caucus of the House of Representatives, the Commission of Fine Arts, the National Congress of American Indians and the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee. The Secretary of the Treasury will make the final selection of designs to be minted and issued.

The United States Mint will continue to produce Presidential $1 Coins and Native American $1 Coins so that the total quantity of $1 coins minted and issued for circulation is sufficient to meet the needs of the Nation. The law requires that at least 20 percent of all such $1 coins minted and issued in any year be Native American $1 Coins.

scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Trade Count: (1)
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 05:36:55 PM »

These things don't even circulate, so why the bother with them?  I don't even like them, they get dirty and snarfy after a little bit of circulation.  The only thing they have going for them is Randy L' Teton, she a hottay in my humble opinion.  Actually I think these things are pandering efforts at pleasing vocal representatives of a people wronged for hundreds of years.  For me that doesn't do it. 

If you really want to recognise the Native American people, you will build 21st century schools on their "reservations"- concentration camps and afford the opportunity to join the American mainstream.  Don't pander with "pretty" little non circulating legal tender coins. Shocked

CoinCrusader42
Knight Excalibur
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 08:43:19 AM »

Thanks for the information.

By the way, our youngest son and I met Randy in Colorado Springs several years ago, and had our picture taken with her.

KOTCT No. 2
Collector since 1956
humpybong
Master Collector
Trade Count: (20)
Knight Argent

bm.1947
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 09:09:22 AM »

WOW!  We would like to see that picture.

How about it Gary.....scan it and load it up.

You have always said you wanted to learn how to do it, now is your chance.

Barry
Global Moderator
Knight of the Coin Table #47

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"
CoinCrusader42
Knight Excalibur
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 12:43:08 PM »

I would like to.

She seemed like a very nice person.

The problem currently isn't scanning the picture, it's finding the picture.

I always thought it would look neat to have the picture, as well as some Sacagawea coins, framed together.  So, I put the picture in a "safe" place, so it would be available when I bought the frame.  Currently, it is still in that safe place.  I just have to find it.

KOTCT No. 2
Collector since 1956
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 04:52:32 PM »

Randy L' is the current Baberaham Lincoln of US coinage, according to Wayne, of Wayne's World. Grin

humpybong
Master Collector
Trade Count: (20)
Knight Argent

bm.1947
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 06:29:10 PM »

He he he....I do that all the time CC.

One day I will find many things that I have put in a "safe" place but have no idea where.

Keep looking one day you will find it.

Barry
Global Moderator
Knight of the Coin Table #47

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"
Nevol
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (19)
Knight Argent

Queensland State Flag

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 01:15:30 AM »

From my experience, once something has been placed in a SAFE place, it's SAFE for eternity, never to be seen again.  Grin  Grin

One of these days I'm going to start up a list on the PC for all my "SAFE" places so I can just look up where I've stashed things.  Roll Eyes

KOTCT #46
Nancy

Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved.
CoinCrusader42
Knight Excalibur
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 03:10:05 AM »

Speaking of unfindable safe places, I have promised to loan our historical museum my Presidential Campaign pins, and I'm currently trying to find them.

In addition I have a personally enscribed photo from President Harry S. Truman.  Also in a safe place.

I would be so happy to find those items -- as well as the picture of Randy, our youngest son, and myself.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

KOTCT No. 2
Collector since 1956
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 03:17:34 AM »

I have an original photograph of President William McKinley that was taken a few weeks before he was assassinated in 1901.  He went on a trip out to the west coast and my Great Great Grandmother took a photograph of him in San Francisco, I also have the Southern Pacific timetable for his train that travelled up the west coast.  Everything I have from before 1906 from her survived the Earthquake and fire, the photos made it through better, the watch on the other hand was damaged by the fire.

CoinCrusader42
Knight Excalibur
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 10:16:09 AM »

The photo sounds like a real historical treasure.  I had a beautiful McKinley campaign button, but unfortunately it was stolen and never recovered.

Accomplished two things today.  Took the boat out for the first time this year, and was pleased everything worked well.

Secondly, with the help of our oldest son, we searched for those items mentioned earlier.

Couldn't find the picture of Randy, or the autographed picture of Harry S. Truman.

However...

We did find the Presidential Campaign pins -- about 200 of them.  So, the museum curator will be pleased.  Meanwhile, we will continue to look for that "safe" place and hopefully find the other missing items.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

KOTCT No. 2
Collector since 1956
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 06:18:03 PM »

Here are some photographs I put on a website for a school project once:

Photographs of the Lucin Cutoff 1902-1904

S.George
Trade Count: (24)
Knight Argent

vicgeonath@yahoo.co.in
View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 07:12:26 PM »

Cheesy

Sir Scottishmoney:
Do you have any special things from President Kennedy.  His coin only brought me into this hobby of wonderful people.
If yes, kindly post them in the web.   Thanks
George

It is by giving others, we actually receive from G
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: