KOTCT Members Forum
May 19, 2024, 07:37:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ukraine - Holodomor - Genocide 1932-1933 Memorial Coin 2007  (Read 1378 times)
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Trade Count: (1)
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 16, 2008, 04:02:58 AM »

Beginning in the 1920's Iosif Stalin began institutionalizing agriculture in the USSR, this resulted in peasants losing land that they had held since the 1860's, and it being collectivized into Kolkhoz, or collective farms. In Russia proper there was a marked resistance to this, the so called "Kulaks" or landed peasants that were not going along with socialization of agriculture, beginning in 1929. By 1932 this programme began in earnest in Ukraine, and resistance was much greater. The government accused peasants of hoarding grain and not selling it to the state, and seized any and all grain, land, homes etc. in their efforts. As a result they created a false famine, resulting in the deaths of betwixt 2.5 and 3 million Ukrainians, Russians, Tartars etc. in Ukraine. The great majority of the victims were Ukrainian nationals.

This coin commemorates the 75th anniversary of the "Holodomor" or death by hunger, aka a genocide and both terms are noted on the reverse of the coin. The emblematic little girl, emaciated from this starvation is the subject of the obverse of the coin, so helpless and innocent. The reverse of the piece has an image from a memorial to the event, with the legend "Holdomor - Genocide of the Ukrainian People 1932-1933".

This event marked the beginnings of one of the great dictators of the 20th centuries pogroms against humanity, few people now would equate Iosif Stalin with being responsible for murdering more people than even Adolf Hitler, but he managed to, he had 30+ years to wrought destruction in his own USSR, against Russians, Ukrainians, everybody that he could not have found favour with. When the fascists from Germany invaded Ukraine in 1941, the Ukrainians initially welcomed the Germans as liberators, figuring they could only be better than Stalin. Sadly they were wrong.

CoinCrusader42
Knight Excalibur
Trade Count: (13)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 04:59:32 AM »

Interesting history.  Interesting coin.

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

KOTCT No. 2
ANA:  42203
Collector since 1956
Snooba
Knight

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 08:02:09 AM »

That is a very powerful image, and a very moving history.  Thanks for sharing it with us.

Knightess of the Coin Table No. 39
EgCollector
Trade Count: (14)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 04:35:14 PM »

very interesting info.
The image on the reverse  is very expressive, and the gril's expressions are powerfull.

Thanks for sharing

Amr Smiley Smiley Smiley

Knight #107
RenaL
Trade Count: (2)
Knight

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 10:25:24 PM »

I don't see any images, something wrong?
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 03:25:54 AM »

I don't see any images, something wrong?

Hmm, your browser doesn't like me .jpgs aye?

Try this:

Pic of UA coin

RenaL
Trade Count: (2)
Knight

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 02:21:57 PM »

I get a 404 Error, are you sure the picture is still there?

I found this page:
http://www.bank.gov.ua/ENGL/Bank_coin/yuv_mon/Coins/Other/Golodomor.htm

Touching theme.

ps: it's something wrong with my ISP, your geocities page works fine as much as I know.
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 02:22:26 PM »

Here is a memorial in Kyiv to the victims of the Holodomyr of 1932-3, I was in Kyiv on business earlier this week:

scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 02:23:32 PM »

Map showing the regions most affected by the famine:

scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 02:25:08 PM »

On a happier and more colourful note.

scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 02:27:08 PM »

Pecherskaya Lavra:

Which was right next to the Ukrainian Sports Ministry that I had to go to Kyiv to meet with on Monday through Wednesday of this week.

Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (10)
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 11:10:54 PM »

Are those coins readily available and for how much. I am impressed with any coin that carries and commemorates the real truth. I can't say that about much of the junk that is struck today.

I recently joined Kiva.com in an effort to actually help someone REAL who is in need. There is NO question where my money went and 90% of it does NOT go to administrative costs. My first loan was to a lady in Ukraine to build her already established business. It is very gratifying KNOWING whom and where I have helped and I intend to do the same many times over (as money allows). It is a NO bull crap program that is far better than any charity I have ever seen. Check it out!

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 02:52:47 PM »

Right now I am looking for the 20 Hryven coin, I have a couple of guys here in Donets'k on the prowl for it.  I have been doing some wheeling and dealing with coins here, so far I haven't found that coin, but I did find a couple of really nice Moldavia-Wallachia restrikes about two weeks ago.  My daughter is hoarding my kopeks, and she is interested in coins now again.  Great.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: