KOTCT Members Forum
May 19, 2024, 03:57:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages:  [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Being Sniped for the 3rd time.  (Read 2742 times)
EgCollector
Trade Count: (14)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« on: March 15, 2008, 03:36:46 PM »

This is the third time i watch this coin go away. The "2000 Sydney Olympics $5 Silver Proof Australia - SHARK".  Cry Cry

I got up early this morning, turned on my laptop. Made myself a cup of Nescafe and got prepared for the last half hour in the auction.
I mailed the seller asking him about s/h fees plus insurance to Egypt. Surprisingly, he answered at once.
Although the s/h is neerly the same as the current bid of the coin, and that he didnt know exactly his bank transfere fee??? but all this didnt matter to me b/c i love this coin, it would fit in my collection and b/c this seller doesnt accept Paypal ONLY.

Anyway, up to the last 30 sec. the current bid stood as it is. Then, I WATCHED IT GO AWAY Cry Cry

The question is there any tips and tricks to prevent this from happening again?
Is there an online seller whom you trust or dealt with before, from whom i can purchase this coin.

Thanks

Amr Smiley Smiley Smiley

Knight #107
Tobyle
Trade Count: (9)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 04:44:11 PM »

I've been caught out this way so many times as well. I've tried waiting until last 10 seconds to place my bid (an absolute maximum amount I would be willing to pay), but often, I still get sniped!
Out of curiosity, how much did the coin go for? I just checked my local dealer's website and he has them listed as 'sold out', but maybe he can track one down. I'm almost certain he does sell to customers overseas. I'll be going to a coin show at the end of this month, so I'll check out for it there as well.
EgCollector
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 05:10:25 PM »

The current bid was $23.5 AU, i was willing to pay up to $30 b/c the insurance plus s/h were $23 and still there is other unknown fees (the seller bank transfere fee which he didnt know and the taxes i am going to pay here in Egypt "if there is")
So an estimate total of about $78.5 will be payed.

The auction ended with $36 AU Cry

Yes, only $6 difference  Grin Grin Cheesy

Amr Smiley Smiley Smiley

Knight #107
EgCollector
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 05:12:01 PM »

Can you imagine that i was willing to pay up to $78.5 for a coin and i lost it for only extra $6 Angry

Amr Smiley Smiley Smiley

Knight #107
Muckeye
Trade Count: (4)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 05:28:17 PM »

Hi Amr,
I have one that I'm prepared to sell.
Let me check out the postage costs on Monday and I will make you an offer you can't refuse.
I presume you would want the most  secure postage (certified/registered)
Have never mailed to Egypt before so please advise me of any pitfalls.
The coin comes in a fancy little box, would be cheaper to post without the box and replace box later. Let me know your wishes on this?
regards till Monday night.
Muckeye.

Muckeye. Knight #52.
"We swear by the Souther
EgCollector
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 05:35:12 PM »

I just received an email from the seller, he will try to find me another one.
He also suggested that :

"i may also be interested in doing a swap deal with you as i like egyptian banknotes for my collection"

So, is it wise to accept trading with an absolute stranger.
 Huh

Amr Smiley Smiley Smiley

Knight #107
EgCollector
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 05:45:15 PM »

Hi Muckeye,

I think you do have a one since as far as i can remember "if my memory didnt fail me down" you won this coin on ebay a few months ago.
Correct me please if i am wrong  Grin

But i will be happy to accept your unrefusable offer  Wink

If everything goes right, i will let you know some tips to try to avoid the pitfalls i encountered with the last package i received from Australia.

Amr Smiley Smiley Smiley

Knight #107
Tobyle
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 05:49:56 PM »

Amr, you'd better give me some tips as well, seeing as my package was the culprit!
EgCollector
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 06:01:14 PM »

Amr, you'd better give me some tips as well, seeing as my package was the culprit!

I didnt have any problems or had to pay taxes for any coins i received before except with two.
One was fro the USA and the other was from Australia.
The common thing was that they were sent by first priority service that i had to sign for receiving "i think" not by registered mail.

as i understood from the EMS employee, these type of packages are received by the airport post office, oppened and charged for taxes. Other registered type mail, may be open but will not be charged for taxes Huh "i dont know the difference"  Cheesy

2nd: the value of the package is placed on the invoice attached to it including the item value and the insurance value and hence the EMS now knows the real value of the coin. "I dont know if it is possible to not write these data while sending the package or not"

Offcoarse, the box, and the fancy packaging give the coin a more value than if sent in a seperte packages. I think the box and other items if sent in a seperate package, the EMS will not know what are these used for.

Amr Smiley Smiley Smiley

Knight #107
EgCollector
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 06:05:18 PM »

Have never mailed to Egypt before so please advise me of any pitfalls.

You sent me the first presidential dollar in my collection. This i won on mila_cent contest "i think a year ago" on CCF.

I had no problem with this package b/c it was sent with regular mail "as far as i can remember"
But offcoarse, the coin we are talking about shouldnt be mailed this way.

As you said registered/insured i think will be the safest way.

Amr Smiley Smiley Smiley

Knight #107
Paint Your Wagon
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (1)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 08:42:42 PM »

I lost a 323 euro coin by one euro yesterday
If I would have all the coins I lost by one euro I would be broke

I open two ebay screens and log into both
I put half of the screens on left and right side of the computer
In the right side of the computer I put my maximum bid and go to the confirm screen
In the left side of the computer I refresh every three seconds to know when 20 seconds are left
Then I submit my bid

I hate loosing by one euro but that is what sniping is all about
If you slug it out you pay 10% more without any guarantees

The last coin I bought I got at 33 euro and was willing to pay 66
Needless to say the vendor is unhappy  Grin

The vendor tried not to give his bankaccount ( standard ploy) I just got it after seven questions  Huh
She now says Germany only ( so she will get less money ; up to her I don't care with 5000 coins for sale )

Where I am going I ain't certain
Where I am going I don't know
All I know is that I'am on my way
Tobyle
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 04:23:31 AM »

Amr, unfortunately, we HAVE to fill out the complete customs form. Do not have the option of registered post - I don't know if that is for all countries, but my only option in sending your parcel was by Insured Post. If a lesser value was written on the customs form, then it could only be insured for that same value.

I was wondering about the option of sending the coin and box separately, but even then, if I am going to outlay over $100 for coins plus postage, I would still prefer to have insurance cover, so how do you overcome that one?

Maybe I should have wrapped it in Birthday paper and enclosed a Birthday card!

Anyone got any ideas?HuhHuh
EgCollector
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2008, 04:12:32 PM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Anna, through out my posts i tried not to mention that you who sent me the Australian package i paid taxes for  Grin Grin Grin

Amr Smiley Smiley Smiley

Knight #107
EgCollector
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2008, 04:20:17 PM »

Anna has sent me two very beautiful coins;
2007 Great White Shark 1oz Silver Proof Coin and
2007 $1 Al/Bronze Coin Ocean Series (White Shark) .

These are two wonderful coins. I fell in love with them once i've seen them on the Perth Mint website  Kiss
I didnt have the time to take pics, but i have shown them to all my friends and family.
My wife love them, even one of my Professors "yesterday" asked me how can he purchase it.

Anna is one of the best "I know all of you know that" trader, whom i would strongly recommend trading with.

Thanks   Smiley

Amr Smiley Smiley Smiley

Knight #107
Tobyle
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2008, 06:18:55 PM »

Anna, through out my posts i tried not to mention that you who sent me the Australian package i paid taxes for

Amr, I did note that you were being very diplomatic there in not mentioning who sent the coins, but I don't want it to be happening again, so I would like some hints from anyone who has sent obviously 'new' coins overseas!
Pages:  [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: