KOTCT Members Forum
May 20, 2024, 04:49:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fake slabs-PCGS update  (Read 858 times)
longnine009
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (1)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« on: March 28, 2008, 04:02:12 AM »

http://www.pcgs.com/articles/article_view.chtml?artid=5286&universeid=313

No matter where you go, there you are.
Snooba
Knight

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 04:09:12 PM »

Thanks for the link, longnine009 - it's pretty damn scary!!!     

Knightess of the Coin Table No. 39
humpybong
Master Collector
Trade Count: (20)
Knight Argent

bm.1947
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 05:47:03 PM »

That just makes one more reason I do not like slabs!

Barry
Global Moderator
Knight of the Coin Table #47

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 06:10:43 PM »

Ebay will not likely do much if anything about sellers in China.  The real problem is not Chinese sellers, but idiots that buy this crap and keep them in business.  I have bought stuff numerous times from reputable Chinese sellers and don't want to toss them out in the wash with the scum.

longnine009
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 07:40:07 PM »

I don't think ebay will do anything about china either. That's the trouble with public corporations, they only see the next quarter and not the next 3-5 years.

A huge part, possibly the biggest part, of the American coin collecting is slabs. And yet all TPGs are really selling is convenience and peace of mind. If either of those two deteriorate, IMO, coin collecting will deterioate and then so too will listings on ebay. 

With this stuff from china, peace of mind is probably deteriorating right now. And what little convenience  is left after waiting 60 days to get a coin slabbed or even better "buy the coin and not slab" is going to deteriorate even more with:  "buy the coin and not the slab and oh yeah buy the slab too but make sure it's not fake."

IMO, they got a really big problem with this and they better find a way to stop it fast. Without faith,  TPGs have  got nothing to sell.

scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 09:50:43 PM »

Let me qualify, I buy only Chinese coins, modern ones, and paper money from reputable sellers in such material.  Ebay could in all probability, restrict listings from China going into the USA categories, but come on, really they are looking out for their immediate bottom line, and not long term customer satisfaction.  They give some placation to farces like the new slab selling rules, but reality is they are more concerned about profit, keeping stockholders immediately happy than longterm goodwill.

But take into account, in all likelihood this describes many many American corporations, not just eBay.  Compare them to say Japanese and Chinese companies that have 5-10 year plans, some Japanese firms have 100 year plans for sustainable growth.  American companies plan as far out as the next stockholder meeting and dividend payout.

Paint Your Wagon
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 12:32:11 AM »

American companies plan as far out as the next stockholder meeting and dividend payout.

Now you are really boasting american firms acumen
If their plans exist and are unchanged for three months that is really long term planning at work
After all Bear Sterns went from rich to broke in 14 days

Where I am going I ain't certain
Where I am going I don't know
All I know is that I'am on my way
longnine009
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 05:18:58 AM »

Ultimatly,  banning china doesn't solve the problem, it just opens the door for another thief. Before china it was Italy and Lebonon--with coins, especially cast gold. After china it will just be someone else.  Black markets through out history have proven you can't stop supply if there is a demand for something. Maybe in another 100 years or so even the DEA will figure that out.

As I see it demand for fake coins and/or fake slabs from china can only stop when collectors are knowledgeable about forgeries and refuse to buy them.  Are U.S coin collectors going to become knowledgable in detecting forgeries? It's not an easy subject to learn even if people are willing to learn it and I don't believe they are.  What are the choices after that?

A) Collectors just say no to  slabs? 
B) Collectors keep buying fake slabs  convinced that they are not fake at all--just as wallstreet investors bought Structured Voodoo Investments convinced they really were investments?
C) Same as "B" but with the additional belief that Ben Bernanke will somehow fix it for us?
D) Collectors migrate towards lower value material deemed not worth the trouble of forgers?
E) Go fishing?
F) A little of of all the above? 

Muckeye
Trade Count: (4)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 04:50:30 PM »

Great thread, goes straight to my heart.
Who'd buy a stamp covered in plastic??
regards,

Muckeye. Knight #52.
"We swear by the Souther
longnine009
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 07:37:27 PM »

I'm afraid John Gault beat them to it long long ago.  Although it's not plastic but clear mica. You'll have to scroll down about a third of the way to see it.

I think it would be pretty neat to have one of them.  Grin

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.us-coin-values-advisor.com/images/Encased-Postage-Stamp.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.us-coin-values-advisor.com/civil-war-coins.html&h=282&w=282&sz=52&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=Y0YmS_y_H2Kn0M:&tbnh=114&tbnw=114&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dencased%2Bpostage%2Bstamp%2B%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DG

longnine009
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 07:30:03 PM »

Not a pretty sight.
http://coins.about.com/od/worldcoins/ig/Chinese-Counterfeiting-Ring/index.01.htm

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: