KOTCT Members Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:02:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Australian proof one dollar coin set.  (Read 1482 times)
Rusty
Trade Count: (0)
Knight

View Profile Email
« on: October 19, 2007, 09:41:55 AM »

I must say I really like the one dollar coins because of the variety available. Again thanks must go to Brissyboy for assistance and advice in compiling this set.

I hope you enjoy the images. I notice a small blue dot at the top left corner on all scans that was actually on the scanner lens. Grrr.  Embarrassed I also should add that the second 2001 Federation spot shows a Lifesaver coin which is on the next page and showed through the empty spot. This spot is for the die variety coin when I acquire it. My favourite from this set has to be the 2003 Korean War silver proof. Cheers.
Topher

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 09:45:49 AM »

Can someone chime in with which ones were NCLT, so I can complete my list?  Cheesy

I also have to ask, was the 2000 HMAS Sydney issued for circulation at all?  I remember getting one when we visited the mint in Canberra.  It was one of those machines where you put in $2 and it stamps it right there in front of you so you can see how it works.  I must say, though, it looks terrible.  Even I can tell that it has discoloured horribly.  Still, I have one.  Cheesy
Rusty
Knight

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 09:50:57 AM »

Topher,
All the above are NCLT as they are proofs. I have another album to put up one the UNC dollars that would be more applicable as some of those are circulation and some NCLT. That is when the pics upload as they take forever. Cheers.
Topher

Email
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 10:03:15 AM »

Topher,
All the above are NCLT as they are proofs. I have another album to put up one the UNC dollars that would be more applicable as some of those are circulation and some NCLT. That is when the pics upload as they take forever. Cheers.
No problem.  I can wait.  Cheesy  Thanks.
Madspec
Trade Count: (3)
Knight

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 06:07:58 PM »

Fantastic set of proof dollars.

madspec

SIR MADSPEC  KNIGHT #57
TO SERVE WITH Honor,Respect,and Loyalty
Yass
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 05:35:34 AM »

Rusty,
I am currently setting up a proof and Unc set of $1 coins.  I must admit I got the idea from you.  They look great.  Very welll done.
My Unc set will also include all the portable press $1s, a mule (only EF) and the die varieties (when I get them all).  I still looking for a few.

I've learned that I don't suffer from insa
Hermit
Knight

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 08:50:03 AM »

I picks meself off the floor after fainting. I thought the Unc / mintmark set was impressive. This one is amazing. Some there I didn't even know existed.

How do you feel about the push-in album for these coins though Rusty?

Kevin.
triggersmob
Trade Count: (30)
Knight Argent

Western Australian State Flag

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 09:34:49 AM »

Beautiful coins. I too have seen coins I didn't know existed, like that wrinkled 2004.
Thanks for sharing.

Steve
Rusty
Knight

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 03:47:17 PM »

Rusty,
I am currently setting up a proof and Unc set of $1 coins.  I must admit I got the idea from you.  They look great.  Very welll done.
My Unc set will also include all the portable press $1s, a mule (only EF) and the die varieties (when I get them all).  I still looking for a few.

Hi Yass,I have started several other albums for the varieties. I don't have a mule yet but am looking for the right one. For the variety sets I started, I am aiming for UNC coins, but will have to settle for lower grades for some. I got a 1981 3-1/2 claw, and a 1981 dot over R 20 cent coin in UNC grade. The mint your own coins I have not decided on as yet. I look forward to see a piccy of it. Cheers and good luck.
Rusty
Knight

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 03:52:57 PM »

I picks meself off the floor after fainting. I thought the Unc / mintmark set was impressive. This one is amazing. Some there I didn't even know existed.

How do you feel about the push-in album for these coins though Rusty?

Hi Hermit,
The Dansco Supreme albums I have used sandwich the coins in the hole that is protected by a clear cover, both back and front that slides out to remove or access the coins. Some of the early proof sets I broke open were not glued at all well and were actually easy to get into. The coins are protected from the elements in their own mini cocoons so I don't see any problem, but time will tell. I also have purchased the Dansco slipcases that the albums slide into as extra protection. Cheers.
Yass
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 05:15:06 AM »

Rusty,
I have nearly all the proofs ready to go. I'm only missing one of the Masterpieces, the Decade Dollar with continuous reeding and the 2003 Fine Silver Set.  I'm glad to here some of the proof cases are easy to get into.  I've been wondering about that.  Did you break open a Smith portfolio to get the large head, or did you manage to get one seperately?

I have no difficulties in taking the fine silver $1 out of the sets. No damage done there.  My major decision (and concern) is whether or not to open the 2006 proof set to get at the 2005 MoR. 

I note you also said there was a proof variety. Which one was that? And how hard was it to get?

Did you think about adding the gold proofs.  I did.......for about 10 seconds. They would add beautiful colouring to the silver and bronze, but the cost!

I've learned that I don't suffer from insa
Rusty
Knight

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 10:42:03 AM »

Rusty,
I have nearly all the proofs ready to go. I'm only missing one of the Masterpieces, the Decade Dollar with continuous reeding and the 2003 Fine Silver Set.  I'm glad to here some of the proof cases are easy to get into.  I've been wondering about that.  Did you break open a Smith portfolio to get the large head, or did you manage to get one seperately?

I have no difficulties in taking the fine silver $1 out of the sets. No damage done there.  My major decision (and concern) is whether or not to open the 2006 proof set to get at the 2005 MoR. 

I note you also said there was a proof variety. Which one was that? And how hard was it to get?

Did you think about adding the gold proofs.  I did.......for about 10 seconds. They would add beautiful colouring to the silver and bronze, but the cost!

Hi Yass,
I actually have a Dollar Decade Coin Fair Commemorative issue complete with the box and all, as I erred and bought two of them originally. If you mail me we will be able to come to a price.
I believe the Kingsford Smith coin came from a Portfolio that had the last prefix ADK $20 as part of it, which I also needed so it got 2 birds at once.
The Fine Silver set coins are still in their boxes in my cabinet as I couldn't bring myself to removing them. The masterpieces coins are in the Album though.
I understand there is a variety proof for the 2001 Federation coin but have not found one as yet.
If I had a 2006 proof set that has a 2005 MOR coin in it , there would be NO way I would open that one. The other proof sets I used a knife placed on the corner joins and a kitchen steak tenderiser (like a hammer) to tap the knife and crack the glue. All four corners were done like this and then the sections were carefully prised apart. These were time consuming, delicate and anxious moments.  Grin
Like yourself I thought about the gold coins but they can wait until;
1-   I get rich,
2-   Someone buys them for me,
3-   Lotto comes calling,
4-   All of the above.  Grin  Grin
Brissyboy
Trade Count: (2)
Knight

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2007, 09:54:12 PM »

Very nice Rusty.

You may be able to get the 2001 Federation proof a lot cheaper than getting a whole set depending on which of the two varieties you already have. The Obverse die 1 (IRB spaced) is in the mayority of Proof Sets while Obverse die 2 (IRB joined) is mostly in the 3 coin State series proof sets.

I'm not sure if there are more than one obverse die (size) with the proof like in the uncirculated 1999 International Year of Older Persons dollar. Haven't looked at enough sets.

I have the 2005 End of WW2 gold proof and 2007 Surf Lifesavers gold proof dollars. They look great beside the Al Bronze and Silver proof versions. I had the 2005 set of dollars at the Brisbane ANDA Show - club members' display this year. I left them in their capsules though.

Wayne

Wayne - Knight #69
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: