KOTCT Members Forum
May 17, 2024, 02:24:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages:  1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Gold or Silver?  (Read 7238 times)
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Trade Count: (1)
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2008, 02:54:20 AM »

Napoleon Premier Consul An 12
MS62 with slide or AU58 take your pick

You will send me one for melt plus 1.5% Shocked Grin

longnine009
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2008, 06:57:56 AM »

Interesting date you choose for that Double Eagle.   Hey!!!!! I know, maybe  Benny is the next JP Morgan?  Roll Eyes

Actually I just bought it.  Next I want a Saint from the same date.  With this lot I just bought the only Saint was a 1914-D.

You know it never once  occurred to me, until I saw your Double Eagle, that this  sub prime debacle  really started in mid or late 2007--- exactly one hundred years after the 1907 panic. There's even a story (or urban legend) that Morgan loaned a bank a truck load a gold coins so they could  put them on display before opening their doors to a bank run. When the public rushed in and saw all the stacks of gold coins they kind a shrugged and went home. JP faked them out just like BB is trying fake everyone out.

I wonder how many managers  loaded up with Structured Voodoo Investments ever saw "The Recruit?" Heheheehehe. Reckon it's too late now to watch it.

"Nothing is as it seems."
Al Pacino--The Recruit

No matter where you go, there you are.
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2008, 09:06:06 AM »

You know it never once  occurred to me, until I saw your Double Eagle, that this  sub prime debacle  really started in mid or late 2007--- exactly one hundred years after the 1907 panic. There's even a story (or urban legend) that Morgan loaned a bank a truck load a gold coins so they could  put them on display before opening their doors to a bank run. When the public rushed in and saw all the stacks of gold coins they kind a shrugged and went home. JP faked them out just like BB is trying fake everyone out.

Giannini(Bank of Italy, later Bank of America) did it with gold coin borrowed from the mint after the earthquake in SF in 1906.

Bernanke made comments prior to his taking the helm of the Fed regarding stability, and that not all good things last forever.  He knows precisely what is going on, but surely cannot give the impression that negative is on the horizon, for panic begets worse outcomes.

Paint Your Wagon
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2008, 08:41:01 PM »

Napoleon Premier Consul An 12
MS62 with slide or AU58 take your pick

You will send me one for melt plus 1.5% Shocked Grin

Sorry  Grin
The point was that 100 year old Naps go for melt plus 1.5% even close to 1860 sometimes Which is 147 years  Grin
To get these you just walk into a money exchangers place
Before like 1855 coins were spent not hoarded
I got a Louis Napoleon 1852 at melt after a year of hunting and on ebay

Do'nt ask to mail either
First it is illigal to mail money uninsured and I just paid 40$ to sent a 10$ crucifix by bulk mail to Virginia on my first trade ever
A crucifix for a bottle of Karl Lagerfeld perfume  Tongue

About 24 by 12 inches and two pounds
I tried to sell it on ebay but postage killed all deals
So I was going to sell it for copper scrap when somebody offered me to deal  Cheesy

Where I am going I ain't certain
Where I am going I don't know
All I know is that I'am on my way
longnine009
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2008, 08:48:17 PM »

I wonder if we're going to see a different Ben when the election is over? He's going to be vilified just as Paul Volcker.  Mr. "Timing is everything" Greenspan  sailed away just in time and left Ben with two rusty nails and a pile of sawdust to work with.  He doesn't have any good choices just as Volcker didn't.  You can see it on his face.  Everyday where I work they deliver the WSJ, FT, Investors Daily and NY Times. Almost everyday one of those papers has a picture of Ben on the front page. He looks like a man who knows he's going to the gallows. 

But at least Volcker choose to save the currency. He's  still  vilified for all the pain it caused. But at least he's vilified  for all the right reasons.  Ben, if he keeps going this course is just going to be vilified.

scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2008, 11:24:52 PM »

First it is illigal to mail money uninsured

I'll pay the registered post from Belgique, just send the Naps twa moi!

scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2008, 11:34:15 PM »

I wonder if we're going to see a different Ben when the election is over? He's going to be vilified just as Paul Volcker.  Mr. "Timing is everything" Greenspan  sailed away just in time and left Ben with two rusty nails and a pile of sawdust to work with.  He doesn't have any good choices just as Volcker didn't.  You can see it on his face.  Everyday where I work they deliver the WSJ, FT, Investors Daily and NY Times. Almost everyday one of those papers has a picture of Ben on the front page. He looks like a man who knows he's going to the gallows. 

But at least Volcker choose to save the currency. He's  still  vilified for all the pain it caused. But at least he's vilified  for all the right reasons.  Ben, if he keeps going this course is just going to be vilified.

For better or worse, the election has been decided by factors more in the financial than the political realm.  Much like Albert Gore was rather quite fortunate not to have been elected(or perhaps selected by the Supreme Court as it may be) in 2000, because the writing on the wall for the economy was present at the tail end of the Clinton administration.  Bush managed to ride on post 9-11 boosts, and steer the nations attentions from more prescient economic matters, to those of alleged malevolence on the part of some one bit dictator in the sands of Araby. 

Much like Argentina did in 1982 with their invasion of the Falklands, it diverted attention from what the people were really concerned with, and brought about a national crises which demanded immediate action. 
However, always, the payback to come latter on shall be exponentially more writhing in burdens to all.

So now thus, 'tis our time to bear our burdens, for having our Treasury depleted so, much so, that the National Debt staggers unduly to nearly $9 Trillion Dollars, the money presses wear down so, because they print not enough to keep up.  Greenspan was wise enough to step aside, before his legacy should have been tarnished by what shall result.  Bernanke is a torn bandage, ready to let.

Paint Your Wagon
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2008, 01:44:21 AM »

First it is illigal to mail money uninsured

I'll pay the registered post from Belgique, just send the Naps twa moi!

Ah my friend
Following is written tung in cheeck
First I am Flemish so I live in België cause we are trying to separate completely from the Belgique ( that is the Frenchspeaking ) and we allready have three federations Flanders and Brussels Capital and Wallonia but still too much Flemish money is going outside of Flanders
Second Registered is 6 euro and uninsured .Insurance will cost another 6 euro and would be no good since since the 12 euro would only protect up to 500 euro inside the EEC and it seems the US refused to ratify a postal agreement or the other way around .
And last , even here it is getting difficult to find Nap I 's in AU or better since the owners died off and most are now in younger hands  Embarrassed

Main reason of my success is that in France there is a tax on gold and I suppose most private ebay sellers forget to pay that tax
So they rather sell on ebay then go to a real coinshop

scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2008, 02:49:50 AM »

Ah, any excuse to not send the Napoleons, then they are those narsty French etc.  And when I was in Belgium, I know not what her language preference was, but I do believe I saw the loveliest woman I had ever seen anywhere in Europe.  So see there are far more important matters of life than language or national feeling, but rather those of the sacred feminine. Shocked

longnine009
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2008, 05:58:34 AM »

So see there are far more important matters of life than language or national feeling, but rather those of the sacred feminine. Shocked

Aye! Toulon   Tongue

Paint Your Wagon
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2008, 11:39:10 PM »

Ah, any excuse to not send the Napoleons, then they are those narsty French etc.  And when I was in Belgium, I know not what her language preference was, but I do believe I saw the loveliest woman I had ever seen anywhere in Europe.  So see there are far more important matters of life than language or national feeling, but rather those of the sacred feminine. Shocked

Yes but at my age I prefer the quick gratification of a large goldcoin in hand
On a german coinforum they are laughing with people that have a pocket coin because it translates badly into a fondling coin
Those highh bred beauties are so ephemeral
And the French aptly warn that it is very difficult not to have to share them  Roll Eyes

henselen
Knight

jayhenselen@q.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2008, 02:52:41 AM »

Kiss :-*don't forget to look at palladium, just this side of platinum, and will become more valued as this world need/economy continues to grow.  jay

jay of Reales
longnine009
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2008, 11:15:56 AM »

In the U.S it's hard to even know what or where growth might be since we're lied to around the clock. To arrive at real GDP you have to subtract inflation out of the nominal GDP. But in the U.S they  subtract out from the inflation rate the core, that is the things people actually need: housing, food, and energy. Whatever is left after  they subtract out the core they then call the "core."  Pretty neat huh? Now if the inflation rate is a lie then the GDP has to be a lie, and so it is and has been. IMO, we probably have had a flat or negative *REAL* GDP for the last 20 years.

Another cute trick they practice is to keep talking about the "possibility" of a recession.  This implies that we are not in one now. And of course we won't have one either because Big Ben will keep the liquidity pumps going.

Only one problem with that: You can't appease an enemy. It doesn't work. People don't view Ben and markets as enemies. But they should. The more Ben gives, the more the market  will want. Why settle for 4% or 3%? Why not wait for 1% or 0%? It's only when Ben stops trying to appease the  Market that the Market will stop demanding more.  But if he does that the reverse will kick in and whatever "economy" there really is will be done for. And if he keeps appeasing, he will surly run out of points long before the Market runs out of height that it can spiral in from. He should have just let the toilet flush  and gotten it over with.

Paint Your Wagon
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2008, 09:00:06 PM »

There is more then 400 Trillion dollars out there in advanced contracts based on computer models
Most categories are untradable and therefore cannot be marked to market ( buyers price unknown )
Since they cannot be sold they cannot be priced and yet about only 50 billion seems to be written off by banks

It took the Japanese 20 years of their people saving money to get on an even keel again , but the american savings rate is negative
( they spend more then they earn )

So I can live with a 20% inflation like in the sixties as long as the banks stay open  Huh

scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2008, 10:10:58 PM »

Thankfully I have some European habits, ala some of my Scottish ancestry, setting back for the rainy day.  'Tis more than most Americans do though, I know people with huge loans for snowmobiles, boats and the un-necessities of life.

Pages:  1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: