KOTCT Members Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:45:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: My lone "moldy" Morgan  (Read 1185 times)
Dumanyu
Trade Count: (0)

Email
« on: November 12, 2007, 12:10:12 PM »

Descent enough shape, but the only Morgan I have. These are just too expensive to really try to collect a set.

AdamL
Trade Count: (12)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 12:22:29 PM »

Well, your right, you gotta be rich to try to put together a whole set. But I like to buy an attractive common-date peice every once in a while.

-Adam
Knight Of The Coin Table #103
Speak the truth
Dumanyu

Email
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 12:31:27 PM »

Adam,
    This is actually the second Morgan I've ever owned. I had one previously that a freind gave me for "ballpark" grading a bunch of U.S. coins she inherited. She gave me a Morgan with a big ding near the Eagles wing, and a '23 Peace Dollar (also the only one I had).
Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (10)
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 07:07:08 PM »

Well guys you don't have to be rich to put together a set of Morgans as I did it! Well everything except the 1895 proof! You do have to be dedicated and prepared to spend way above average for quite a few of them even in low grades. Both my wife and I tackled the project at the same time (2 sets) and I won out. She did pay more attention to high grades than I did but in the end I suppose we were 60% to 70% with uncs. and she only lacked a few coins of having a full set as well. Her Carson City"s were immacculate as well as most of the key dates. My key dates killed any chance of a unc. collection and a loss of a 28 year job killed my keeping what took years to collect but I can say I did do it and my dealer can say he was glad I did and very glad I sold them years later! I know, with todays prices, I couldn't tackle the set again but I sure enjoyed doing it the first time.

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)
dustin43160

Email
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 01:17:00 AM »

i also have only one morgan which i paid an old man 7 dollors for it hehe it was before i knew about coins and thought it might be fake  Grin
CoinCrusader42
Knight Excalibur
Trade Count: (13)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 04:25:02 AM »

I have 20 to 30 of them.

Picked up all of them for face value while attending college back in the 1960's.

Grin Grin Grin Grin

KOTCT No. 2
ANA:  42203
Collector since 1956
Dumanyu

Email
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 05:44:17 AM »

Well guys you don't have to be rich to put together a set of Morgans as I did it! Well everything except the 1895 proof! You do have to be dedicated and prepared to spend way above average for quite a few of them even in low grades. Both my wife and I tackled the project at the same time (2 sets) and I won out. She did pay more attention to high grades than I did but in the end I suppose we were 60% to 70% with uncs. and she only lacked a few coins of having a full set as well. Her Carson City"s were immacculate as well as most of the key dates. My key dates killed any chance of a unc. collection and a loss of a 28 year job killed my keeping what took years to collect but I can say I did do it and my dealer can say he was glad I did and very glad I sold them years later! I know, with todays prices, I couldn't tackle the set again but I sure enjoyed doing it the first time.

Terry,
     Thanks for making my point Wink. You have to spend way over value, for a less then stellar coin. As I've stated in the past, I can bring 100 dollars to a coin show, and get 5 -10 new countries for my collection, or I can buy a fifth of a Morgan in F. Probably not.
Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (10)
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 11:09:20 AM »

And my point was, at one time, the average collector could put together a set of Morgans. But today, due to demand, the explosive market and precious metal prices I could not do the same. Prices have reached a point where one must do as you described by making choices. I have over the last few years found my collecting habits changing, for various reasons, and never enjoyed collecting more since I went "world" wide in my interests.

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)
Dumanyu

Email
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 12:00:28 PM »

Terry,
    You hit the nail on the head. World coins have so much more variety to offer, be it German States, one from every country, or a country set. There is a bunch of different ways to go.
Madspec
Trade Count: (3)
Knight

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 05:33:34 PM »

Why don't you make a year set, don't worry about mint marks just one from each year.  The 1893 will be the most expensive but still it makes a great looking set.

madspec

SIR MADSPEC  KNIGHT #57
TO SERVE WITH Honor,Respect,and Loyalty
S.George
Trade Count: (24)
Knight Argent

vicgeonath@yahoo.co.in
View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 01:55:20 PM »

Cheesy

Dear Friends:

I have completed the Morgan P, D, S, O  COMPLETE SET a few years  ago.  The 1893s Morgan was slabbed and certified and few others, also slabbed.

Several U.S. Friends helped me, to make it possible.   IT TOOK 3 YEARS TO COMPLETE THE COLLECTION, for a person living far away from U.S.   For those who live in U.S. can do FASTER THAN ME.   Just give a try.   It is worth it.

Now I am assembling BARBER HALVES.   Any help through trade will be appreciated very much. 

WISH YOU ALL A MERRY CHRISTMAS

Sincerely
George/India

It is by giving others, we actually receive from G
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: