KOTCT Members Forum
May 17, 2024, 07:18:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: State Quarter extension ?  (Read 895 times)
rosso_rubino
Trade Count: (0)

Email
« on: January 23, 2008, 03:17:44 PM »

Hi,
I got a short message on an eurpoean coin forum that State Quarter wil have an 11th year for Washington DC and some territories, can somebody confirm it or just have some news ?

Bye, Antonio.
Nevol
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (19)
Knight Argent

Queensland State Flag

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 03:24:44 PM »

One of the US members will probably offer more info than I can but 'Yes' there will be another year added for these US territories.

Washington DC
Puerto Rico
Guam
Northern Marianas
US Virgin Islands
American Samoa

KOTCT #46
Nancy

Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved.
Sap
Knight Argent

The Numismatichemist

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 06:31:11 PM »

Yes, the legislation has been passed by the US Congress. However, it's wording was carefully scripted so that it was NOT a "continuation" of the State Quarter series, but rather a completely separate series that just happened to be on a similar theme (i.e. the geographic divisions of the USA). That way, state quarter collectors can opt to include them, or not.

And, of course, they're hoping not to get sued by all the manufacturers of State Quarters maps, folders, booklets, albums etc. whose products suddenly became obsolete.

KoCT #21

The early bird gets the worm, sure, but
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Trade Count: (1)
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 11:46:01 PM »

It commemorates places that would like to be States, like Washington DC; places like Puerto Rico, that should be a country, and places that should belong to somewhere else; like Guam, Marianas, and the Virgin Islands.

I propose for Washington DC they have the huge pothole I drove into when trying to get out of DC on one of their motorways.  Also they should commemorate that coke snorting Mayor Marion Berry.

For Puerto Rico, corruption should be the theme.  For Guam, it should be the snakes.  For the Marianas, they should commemorate the nuclear bomb tests that were done there in the 1940's.  And the Virgin Islands should commemorate throwing off one colonial power(Denmark) for another, the USA in 1917.

Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (10)
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 01:45:37 AM »

I guess what Scottishmoney is trying to say is that most Americans will NOT be collecting the 2009 Dependenthood Quarters? Puerto Rico has no desire to become a state and will not effectively govern itself but they do want U.S. taxpayer dollars to continue to flow there! Most U.S. citizens don't even know where the other islands are located but do know the roles they have played in our history. And, given a choice we would rather have all the metal used to produce these Dependenthood quarters melted down and used to fill the potholes in Washington where they would serve a much better purpose!

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 03:41:55 AM »

If it were up to me, Washington DC would be abolished as an entity, and the land given back to Maryland.  Virginia got it's part of DC back sometime in the 19th century, which is why Arlington Cemetery is now in Virginia and not DC.

Puerto Rico, I have known several Puerto Ricans that said that what they liked about living there was that they got out and realised there are much better places to live, NY, California, Texas etc.

I say what I do about Guam, know lots of pilots USN and Commercial that have flown there and complained about snakes.

These places are all stepchildren, especially Washington DC.

longnine009
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 06:43:31 AM »

I think George Washington has been insulted enough with that Donny Osmond hair get up. Didn't anyone check to see if  they really had electric curling irons back in his day?

Instead of insulting him further I think they should put Daniel Shay on the obverse of the D.C quarter.  And  positioned so that he's mooning the reverse.

No matter where you go, there you are.
Nevol
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (19)
Knight Argent

Queensland State Flag

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 07:28:48 AM »

The brown snakes that infest Guam are illegal immigrants. They aren't native & they've all but obliterated a lot of the bird population. I can't remember where they came from or how they got there, saw it on Nat Geo.  I feel sorry for the inhabitants, trying to control/get rid of a pest like that.  They are apparently very prolific breeders as well.  Sad

KOTCT #46
Nancy

Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved.
CoinCrusader42
Knight Excalibur
Trade Count: (13)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 08:07:50 AM »

Nancy,

Reading your post above, I see striking similarities with a problem we U.S. citizens are currently facing!!

Grin Grin Grin Grin

KOTCT No. 2
ANA:  42203
Collector since 1956
Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (10)
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 11:13:22 AM »

Apparently their are a lot of snakes that are prolific breeders huh? Roll Eyes

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)
rosso_rubino

Email
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 02:36:14 PM »

Thanks guys,
I just wanted to know some more information about new additional state quartes ...  Shocked
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: