KOTCT Members Forum
May 02, 2024, 10:23:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Could have been a lousy cent box search until..  (Read 691 times)
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Trade Count: (1)
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 22, 2010, 08:21:12 PM »

I search cent boxes(2500 rolled cents each) about once or twice a week on average.  In the past I have been averaging approximately 10 wheats per box, usually 1940’s and 1950’s.  My last three boxes have been somewhat disappointing – the amount of pre-1982 bronze coins seems to be going down to about a quarter of the box and my averages for numbers of wheats have gone down too.  After searching two boxes on Tuesday of this week, I was on the verge of giving up.  I cashed in the zincolns at one of my banks that has a free coin counter and got my cash.  Yesterday I had to go to one of the grocery stores to buy milk, it has one of the in-store banks and on a lark I asked if they had a cent box I could buy.  The teller, who was new apparently and didn’t know me – said no, we don’t have any.  Just then a teller behind her that knows me well, said yes, he can buy one box.  At this point I wondered why I bothered, not having much success with the previous two boxes, but I figured different bank maybe different results.

Well the pre-1982 bronze was consistent with my recent results, rather disappointing.  Wheats were a disappointment too:

1950 – harshly cleaned
1951-D

That was it, four stinkin Lincolns.

San Francisco mints were a bit better than average, considering that I am deep in the Midwest and they are all nearing 40 years old now:

1969 x 3
1970 x 2
1972 x 2

I also had fewer Canadian earlies too 
GVI
QEII YH
1964 x 4

But my best find, the one that made it all worth it was this one, about midway through the box when I let out a scream my kids outside heard and came in wondering what happened…

My earliest find in a cent box yet… I found a 1909 VDB and a beaten up 1909 back in 2007, my earliest finds so far until yesterday…

I have probably searched 350,000 cents over the past four years – this is the first one of these I have ever gotten:

Yes, 109 years young and Mr. Longacre’s daughter!

triggersmob
Trade Count: (30)
Knight Argent

Western Australian State Flag

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 09:22:58 PM »

Nice find.

For a minute I thought you were going to say you found a 1909 (S) VDB

Steve
Nevol
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (19)
Knight Argent

Queensland State Flag

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 05:12:43 AM »

Well done!   Grin

KOTCT #46
Nancy

Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved.
Yass
Trade Count: (0)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 05:49:12 AM »

Always nice to find something special amongst the rolls.  It makes all the hard work and disapointments all the more sweet.

I've learned that I don't suffer from insa
Nighthawk
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (12)
Knight Argent

DELTA FORCE

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 05:53:57 AM »

Nice find! My daughter & I used to search rolls all the time. We once found an 1858 Flying Eagle cent in Good. A little bit of crud on it, but the date & legends were still visible!  I still have this coin in my collection.   Smiley

NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
LOVER OF ART & HISTORY
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971
templar
KNIGHT #125--YOUR SERVANT AND FRIEND--ALWAYS
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (30)
Knight Argent

NUMISMATIST--MASTER OF TRIVIA--HISTORIAN--A.A.N.G.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 04:05:30 PM »

THE OTHER DAY A WAITRESS AT A CAFE WHERE I FREQUENT SHOWED ME A COIN SHE PULLED OUT OF THE CASH REGISTER------IT TURNED OUT TO BE A 1951 HONG KONG FIFTY CENT PIECE...........SOMEONE HAD PASSED IT OFF AS A QUARTER APPARENTLY AND NO ONE NOTICED........THE COIN IS IN VERY FINE CONDITION AND WORTH ABOUT $3....THE WAITRESSES AT THIS CAFE HAVE ALL BEEN HOOKED ON COINS SINCE I HAVE BEEN SHARING DIFFERENT COINS WITH THEM AND WHEN I GO THERE THEY ALWAYS COME TO MY TABLE WITH SOME COIN AND ASK QUESTIONS ABOUT THE VARIOUS COINS AND BILLS THEY FOUND...........NIGHTHAWK HAS BECOME A REGULAR THERE AND HE USUALLY LEAVES A COUPLE OF FOREIGN COINS WITH HIS TIP AND BETWEEN THE TWO OF US WE HAVE CREATED A MINI COIN CLUB.........
  JUST SHARING..............YOUR FRIEND........THE TEMPLAR

* coins06.jpg (5.93 KB, 156x160 - viewed 115 times.)

DRUID
HUMORIST
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN
BARD
TIME WAS INVENTED SO EVERYTHING WOULD NOT HAPPEN AT ONCE!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: