KOTCT Members Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:18:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages:  1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Coin Shop Visit Today  (Read 4599 times)
Nighthawk
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (12)
Knight Argent

DELTA FORCE

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2009, 06:14:08 AM »

Grin

NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
LOVER OF ART & HISTORY
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971
templar
KNIGHT #125--YOUR SERVANT AND FRIEND--ALWAYS
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (30)
Knight Argent

NUMISMATIST--MASTER OF TRIVIA--HISTORIAN--A.A.N.G.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2009, 06:47:50 AM »

WELL WITH CHRISTMAS COMING IN A FEW WEEKS--YOU MAY NOT KNOW AS SOON AS YOU THINK

BUT FOR THE SAKE OF GUESSING--I WILL GO WITH 6
 YOUR SERVANT--THE TEMPLAR

* door.jpg (4.38 KB, 123x160 - viewed 135 times.)

DRUID
HUMORIST
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN
BARD
TIME WAS INVENTED SO EVERYTHING WOULD NOT HAPPEN AT ONCE!
Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (10)
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2009, 09:17:57 AM »

Well guys my dealer gave my little boy a $17.00 Olympic commemorative from 1984 and mommy bought 6 proof like Morgans. The only thing I got was a good lashing for going deer hunting instead of the trip to Columbus which might have been my idea in the first place? In my defense I did receive a call about a half hour before WE were going to leave which concerned a huge trophy whitetail buck that had just been rousted from its bedding area! Whats a man to do? Blame it on those darn cell phones and modern technology as a few years ago I would have not known about the big buck!!! (Going to take quite some time to live this boo-boo down, just ask my wife!)

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)
CoinCrusader42
Knight Excalibur
Trade Count: (13)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2009, 08:03:44 PM »

My guess is six.

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

KOTCT No. 2
ANA:  42203
Collector since 1956
Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2009, 08:23:45 AM »

My wife wanted to do some Xmas shopping today and my mind was still on whitetail deer. But after my last MISS on the coin shop I elected to give the deer a break and went along. My dealer apparently had been buying quite a bit of gold and silver this week as there were a ton of new coins available which I had NOT planned on drooling over. I had ordered a few more 2009 Silver Eagles (last ones this year) and they had arrived which meant I had to walk away from all those other coins screaming "Take Me Home" now! So sad leaving all those beautiful little orphans lying there! But some times a man has to do what a man has to do! (I had sunglasses on so no one could see the tears!!!) Cry

Terry
Knight #1

AdamL
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2009, 08:39:23 AM »

I stopped by a shop Thursday. Business seemed to be booming with him buying and selling alot of gold and silver just in the short time I was there.

-Adam
Knight Of The Coin Table #103
Speak the truth
CoinCrusader42
Knight Excalibur
Trade Count: (13)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2009, 06:02:20 PM »

I stopped by the only shop in the area last week.  I wanted a few American Silver Eagles.  The dealer was out and said they only last a few hours when he has any available.

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

KOTCT No. 2
ANA:  42203
Collector since 1956
Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2009, 09:01:45 PM »

The only way I could get these Eagles was to have my dealer hold them for me if and when he got them. He had advised me two weeks ago there would be two rolls of 2009s coming so I requested he hold eight of them for me. At this time silver, especially Eagles, bars or rounds, are disappearing immediately after he buys them. About 3 weeks ago I gave him a call to check on availability and his answer was "I have plenty in stock". I planned my trip for Saturday only to find, when I arrived, two fellows came in and bought every Eagle he had. They wanted them all. It seems this is very common in our area now so I basically had to resort to special ordering them which I did. Another problem is many dealers can't get them even if they do have a buyer so I was just lucky this time especially since its Xmas season and thats not to mention silver is a hot commodity right now. I do regret not having the funds to grab one of the gold pieces yesterday and I probably should have let my little guy get one as he had the funds available. Guess there is always tomorrow! Cry

Terry
Knight #1

Nighthawk
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

DELTA FORCE

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2009, 04:24:49 AM »

Terry, you could always send me a check and I'll get you all the Silver Eagles you want!!! They are very plentiful here in Michigan.  Smiley

NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
LOVER OF ART & HISTORY
templar
Global Moderator
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2009, 07:05:56 AM »

I WAS AT A COIN SHOW TODAY AND SILVER EAGLES WERE GOING FOR ABOUT $22 AND THERE DIDN'T SEEM TO BE A SHORTAGE--THERE IS A COIN SHOW IN OUR AREA ON DECEMBER 27TH--NIGHTHAWK OR I COULD CHECK FOR YOU--CERTAIN DATES COST MORE BUT THAT IS USUALLY THE WAY.
WHILE AT THE SHOW TODAY I PICKED UP SOME GOOD COINS--NO REAL BARGAINS BUT I GOT A NICE SET OF 1982 PENNIES---I PLAN TO USE AS AN EXAMPLE FOR MYSELF BECAUSE I HAVE COLLECTED A BUNCH BUT I HAVE TROUBLE WITH DATE SIZES

YOUR SERVANT--THE TEMPLAR

* 82 penny0001.jpg (378.14 KB, 1691x837 - viewed 149 times.)

DRUID
HUMORIST
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN
BARD
Goose
Trade Count: (6)
Knight Argent

ncscpcamvs@yahoo.com Goose
View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2009, 12:03:00 PM »

Ya know, every "set" of the 1982 pennies I've seen for sale in the last 20 or so yrs seem to have ONLY 7 in their set. Why not 8 to make it a complete set? Even with the slightly higher cost, I think they'll sell quite readily.
templar
Global Moderator
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2009, 09:06:19 PM »

INTERESTING QUESTION--THE SEVEN COINS DO NOT HAVE ANY MINT MARK S IN THE SETS---IF YOU COULD FIND THE 82-S==I DON'T SEE WHY YOU COU NOT INCREASE THE SET SIZE AND VALUE
   MAYBE IT IS SOMETHING TO TRY----YOUR SERVANT--THE TEMPLAR

* alabama.gif (99.5 KB, 132x99 - viewed 112 times.)

DRUID
HUMORIST
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN
BARD
Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2009, 10:14:22 AM »

Well I made my last 2009 trip to my local coin dealer today in hopes of finally picking up some Territorial Quarters for friends (I don't want them) and a few rolls of the latest Lincoln cents for the year. My dealer only had 3 rolls of the D Lincolns and 4 of the P rolls so I took them all but not sure why other than the fact we don't see any in circulation at this time. My oldest son was also looking for proof Presidential dollars from 07 and 08 so I picked them up as well. The Presidential proofs are gaining a little steam at this time so I had to pay a premium to get them.
We talked for a while before my dealer told me he had purchased a few Silver Eagles a few hours earlier. I cherry picked some badly cared for Eagles and ended up with a 1988 and a 1992 to add to my stash. I was almost ready to leave when I noticed a nice selection of Morgan Dollars and could not resist! Again I was cherry picking AU and Unc. coins until I decided on two to bring home! Darn silver is going to get the best of me before this is all over!!! Can anyone point me in the direction of a good support group or am I already talking to them? Grin

Terry
Knight #1

Nighthawk
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

DELTA FORCE

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2009, 10:43:04 AM »

There's no cure Terry for what you've got! Or for what I've got! I still have my Morgans even though I sold my CC's while I was laid off from work over 2 years ago. The only reason I sold them at all was because I made a handsome PROFIT! But, alas, the money made all went to pay bills! But I still retain a large part of my Morgan collection, in grades from Good to MS-63. I am missing only a few dates (all the scarcer ones of course, and all the CC's!). My Morgans will probably be the LAST thing to go if it ever gets that bad financially for us.. Oh, well!  Sad

NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
LOVER OF ART & HISTORY
Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2009, 11:10:27 AM »

I lost my big paying job in the fall of 2005 and it didn't take long to sell much of my collection which included a full set of Morgan dollars that lacked only the 1895 proof. At least 60% of them were unc.s. I also sold all my gold,  Cry a full set of V-nickels, a full set of Buffalo nickels, a full set of Mercury dimes, Franklin half dollars, Sacagawea Dollars,  a U.S. Type set (complete), a complete set of Kennedy halves,over 100  Silver Eagles and much more! Quite honestly it was a huge blow to my collection but they served a purpose when they needed to. I might mention I made very very good money on most of it. And, after a few months I started over again and still going!

Terry
Knight #1

Pages:  1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: