KOTCT Members Forum
May 03, 2024, 12:24:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages:  [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Coin Shop Visit Today  (Read 4595 times)
Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Trade Count: (10)
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« on: October 04, 2009, 05:37:49 AM »

Well I finally took some time to make the drive to my coin dealer today. Seemed like months since I was last there. I wanted to get a feel for todays precious metal market and where it might be going, at least locally, and my dealer is always very honest with me.
  I learned very quickly there was NO gold for sale and no one is selling but EVERYONE is seeking! Silver bullion was also almost non-existent as my dealer only had 5 Eagles in the house. NOW he has none! I grabbed those Eagles dated 91, 93, 94 and two 2009. Looks like eagles, at a fair price, could be pretty scarce until the 2010 bullion coins are released and then we have to worry about January prices.
   Key dates were also absent along with high grade classic coins. I never let an uncirculated buffalo nickel slip by me so I did not have that worry today. Seems like the collectors with high grade coins are not selling anything either. I did notice a huge lot of circulated silver dimes, quarters, halves and dollars had just come through the door today. Will take someone quite an amount of time to go through all those silver coins looking for harder to find dates.
   All I could do was advise my dealer my son and I were looking for a few gold coins ($2.50 and $5.00) to add to our collection. He said he would keep us in mind as hundreds of other collectors were waiting also! Looks like===If you got it you had best keep it for now!!!

Terry
Knight #1

"Life's a Lemon, I want my money back!" (Meatloaf)
scottishmoney
Only Gold Truly Glitters
Trade Count: (1)
Knight Argent

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 05:55:30 AM »

I live in a much more economically depressed area than you, with unemployment hovering just under 20% so when I visit my local B&M there is all kinds of stuff for sale, which is indicative of people having to sell.  Yesterday I picked up a coin I have coveted for awhile, a 1981 Mexican gold onza - these usually trade well above spot when you can find them - luckily there is no demand here and my dealer knows that and I have bargaining power in the form of cold green cash.

I also saw - 7, yes 7 $1000 bills, one of the 1928 Series, and the rest from 1934, and two $500's.  They were all low to mid grades and I passed on them though.

But there are also several plats in the ounce category coming out of the woodwork.

AdamL
Trade Count: (12)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 06:42:54 AM »

My local (45 minutes away) dealer has silver and plenty of gold.

-Adam
Knight Of The Coin Table #103
Speak the truth
Pocketcoins
Trade Count: (5)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 09:11:22 AM »

I have seen a $500 bill. A friend of mine has one. But I have never seen a $1000 bill, much less 7 at once. Would have loved to give them the once over. Like you though I reckon I would have had to leave them there.
Nighthawk
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

DELTA FORCE

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 10:44:22 AM »

No shortage of gold around here! Most times if I want it, I can pick up foreign gold coins (and sometimes U.S.) for slightly under melt at a club auction. That's where I can find the best stuff for the best price. (When I have the money, that is!). I never buy gold or silver direct from a dealer. Any dealer. Too expensive!  Smiley  Terry, I can pick up most any date silver Eagles at a club auction usually always under melt at almost every meeting!  Smiley

NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
LOVER OF ART & HISTORY
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971
triggersmob
Trade Count: (30)
Knight Argent

Western Australian State Flag

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 04:38:53 PM »

It doesn't worry me, I can't afford gold, $1000 bills, or $500 bills. LOL

Steve
humpybong
Master Collector
Trade Count: (20)
Knight Argent

bm.1947
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 05:33:28 PM »

Well glad some of you can get to a coin shop.

I have a dose of influenza (not of the swine variety) at the moment and it has had me laid up for the last 3 days.

Even missed my QNS coin club meeting on Friday night.   

Maybe in a few days my wife may let me out again.   Grin

Barry
Global Moderator
Knight of the Coin Table #47

"Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it a again"
templar
KNIGHT #125--YOUR SERVANT AND FRIEND--ALWAYS
Global Moderator
Knight Argent

NUMISMATIST--MASTER OF TRIVIA--HISTORIAN--A.A.N.G.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 05:54:17 PM »

well humpy---a little whiskey-lemon and honey will clear up that sore throat and congestion--and you can always skip the lemon and honey---hope you get better soon

your servant--dr. templar

* BEER3.jpg (31.7 KB, 125x125 - viewed 155 times.)

DRUID
HUMORIST
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN
BARD
TIME WAS INVENTED SO EVERYTHING WOULD NOT HAPPEN AT ONCE!
triggersmob
Knight Argent

Western Australian State Flag

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 08:02:26 PM »

I hope you get better soon, Humpy.

Steve
Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 08:23:20 PM »

Nighthawk I NEED a 97 and 99 silver eagle very badly. Have a good friend requesting them for his grandchildren's birth years. I have been pursuing them for almost a year through the dealers here (just 2) and have had absolutely no luck. The fellow wanting them is a life long friend so I would very much like to help him out. Let me know if they are available up your way. Will send you a check or use PayPal if you prefer. Just make sure they are uncs.

On the topic of currency I find it ironic that I too got to hold a high grade $500 note just yesterday. Another collector brought it in to the shop after recently buying it. While I would love to have a $1,000 and $500 note I tend to shy away from them as I still just see PAPER! In the end precious metals and collectable coins always get my money!!!

Terry
Knight #1

Nighthawk
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

DELTA FORCE

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 02:38:03 AM »

Terry, I will be on the lookout for a "97 & '99 SE. Will let you know when I find some. I love paper money, especially foreign paper money, but you're right- it's just PAPER! No intrinsic value whatever. That's why I try to collect something with precious metal content. Heck, I even save copper or bronze coins! Maybe copper will go thru the roof some day! LOL!  Smiley

NUMISMATIST
PHILATELIST
BIBLIOPHILE
LOVER OF ART & HISTORY
COLLECTING COINS SINCE 1971
Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 05:10:58 AM »

Don't get me wrong concerning paper. I used to have a bunch of old U.S. notes but my favorites got stolen from a display at my coin dealer when he was burglarized one night. Guess I never recovered! I do have a nice selection of foreign notes and always looking for more. But, during these poor economic times I tend to favor something with a little weight for my money!

Terry
Knight #1

Muckeye
Trade Count: (4)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 04:59:44 PM »

Pliz, Vot is a 'coin shop'Huh
regards,

Muckeye. Knight #52.
"We swear by the Souther
templar
KNIGHT #125--YOUR SERVANT AND FRIEND--ALWAYS
Global Moderator
Knight Argent

NUMISMATIST--MASTER OF TRIVIA--HISTORIAN--A.A.N.G.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 05:52:26 PM »

A COIN SHOP IS A STORE WHERE YOU TRADE A LOT OF YOUR COINS FOR VERY FEW OF THEIR COINS!

YA--YOUR SERVANT--THE TEMPLAR

* humor.jpg (5.47 KB, 156x160 - viewed 149 times.)

DRUID
HUMORIST
HUMAN  RIGHTS DEFENDER
SWAGMAN
BARD
TIME WAS INVENTED SO EVERYTHING WOULD NOT HAPPEN AT ONCE!
Twoshadows
"Master Collector"
Knight Argent

Buffalo Pilot

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 03:41:15 AM »

A coin shop sells ONLY coins, currency and coin supplies. A coin shop is the ONLY place where you can go in with large sums of money and spend every last dime to your name and still leave with money!  Grin

Gold, silver and collectable coins do not cost us anything. We are only exchanging current legal notes for coins and currency you can't get any more. The money has NOT been spent. It has been transferred into a holding of sorts or, if you prefer, another form of savings that is harder to waste away. (like your bank accounts)  It is up to the individual buying the items to hold them until such a time he would like to have his money back. The ideal situation is to get more than you paid for them. This is where a little wisdom in buying and selling does come in handy! Grin

Terry
Knight #1

Pages:  [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: