KOTCT Members Forum
May 17, 2024, 07:17:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Rules Search Calendar Members Login Register KITCO US MINT KOTCT Hist. Perth Mint 2centworld  
Welcome to a stroll down memory lane... Looks a lot different, HUH?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: An 1857 Flying Eagle cent rarity: the "type of 1856"  (Read 473 times)
KurtS
Trade Count: (0)

Email
« on: November 03, 2008, 03:06:25 AM »

For Flying Eagle Cent collectors, here's is a very intriguing variety for your collection: the 1857 type of 1856.

Outside of the rare 1956 Flying Eagle pattern, it's one of the scarcer coins in the whole series.
According to my research only a few dozen are attributed by collectors, Rick Snow, and TPG registries.
Compare that to 2300 estimated coins for 1856 in both proof and "business strike" versions.

The history behind this coin is that early in 1857, at least 2 undated obverse dies from the non-proof pattern run for 1856 were impressed with 1857 and used for the initial run of 1857 Flying Eagles. At first glance, the early 1857 and later 1857 may appear the same, but there are some distinct differences, as outlined below.  Suffice to say--given the extreme cost of the 1856 FE cent, the 1857 type of 1856 presents an opportunity for the many collectors to own an early 1857 coin struck by the original pattern dies. The coin is also quite scarce--and quickly gaining notoriety. This coin is presently worth 2X-3X the normal 1857, and that appears to be climbing lately.

On a timely note, this morning I found one of these coins offered on eBay--unattributed.  Shocked
Since I already have a nice copy in NGC AU55, I thought a collector here would like the opportunity?  Good Luck--seize the moment  Grin
I don't normally recommend buying on eBay, but this coin is rather scarce and I see little to worry about from the pictures.
The grade appears to be XF40 with good color and a typical weak strike on the tail, and some planchet streaking w/possible lamination--common.
What's more, I think this particular coin is from an earlier die state.  Grin

Below are the unique diagnostics of this variety, using a resampled photo form this auction:

• The inner shape of the O within "OF" is rectangular, particularly on the upper edge. Because this varies between strike, it must be confirmed by:
• The lower apex of the M in AMERICA is thin with a bulbous end that is clearly shifted to the left; the normal 1857 M point is centered between serifs.
• The middle serif of F in OF has an exaggerated lower point with concavity on the outer edge of the flare. The normal 1857 has a straight outer edge.

To provide a proper perspective, compare these same details to the common 1857 FE:

CoinCrusader42
Knight Excalibur
Trade Count: (13)
Knight Argent

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 04:30:24 AM »

Interesting information Kurt!!

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

KOTCT No. 2
ANA:  42203
Collector since 1956
KurtS
Trade Count: (0)

Email
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 05:37:04 AM »

Thanks!  Grin
I see this coin is still at $9.99 -- maybe nobody figured it out yet?
I may just buy it for resale if nobody bites.  Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: